LaunchBox Community Forums

7.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

11 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

I'm getting poor scrolling performance in Big Box in certain views (again) - seemingly tied to scrolling notes. Previously I had been able to fix this by editing the GameDetailsView.xml in CityHunter to change line 66 from "scrollingnotesmod" to just "scrollingnotes", but now the performance issue is present even with that edit. It's like it hitches every time I switch to another game for a half second or so.

Nothing has changed related to that, so I would think it has to be some kind of external influence causing it.

11 hours ago, oilertitanfan said:

Is autoplay of music in game details screen not working  going to be looked into? I still can't get this feature working in bigbox only in launchbox.

Still on my short list.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:17 PM, FistyDollars said:

So with the new beta, my platforms are ordered like this, and I have absolutely no idea why, or how to fix it.

Capture.PNG

I'm sort of in the same place.  I would love to be able to sort alphabetically or to drag them up and down to whatever position I like.

• Like 1

Alright guys, I experimented a bit this morning with the .NET framework 4.6.2, which has been out for a while, and I am seeing some relatively significant performance improvements with it, so I spent the morning upgrading everything to the .NET framework 4.6.2. If you're running Windows 10 and have the anniversary update installed, then you already have 4.6.2. Otherwise, the setup should now prompt you to install it. It does work fine on Windows 7 and later.

So beta 4 is out, but all it does is change the .NET framework version and adds checks to the setup to make sure that your framework is up to date. Please let me know if anyone has any issues with the setup upgrading the framework for them.

Also, I still can't replicate the ordering issues (I keep playing with it and I'm still getting nowhere). It would be really nice if this magically fixed it (always possible), so let me know what happens with the ordering issue after upgrading to beta 4. :)

Also, holy crap:

Let's keep discussion there in that thread so we don't clutter up the beta testing one, but @Grila probably deserves my firstborn.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Nothing has changed related to that, so I would think it has to be some kind of external influence causing it.

"Nothing" has actually changed on my computer though, not that should have this sort of impact. Everything was fine on 7.7 which obviously wasn't too long ago. I'm pretty sure I have a LB backup that was using a 7.7 beta build so I may try that tonight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grila said:

Hah I'm good on the kids, I already have 2-year old twins running amok! Glad people are liking the theme though, it's been one of my favorite to work on so far.

Twins! So this isn't the only thing you're productive at doing. But really, that's good, because I'd kind of like to keep my son around. ;)

I just tweeted your video out also, btw. I couldn't help it. :P

• Like 1

Okay so after testing my backup (which has 7.7-beta-15) it would seem that the issue is present in it as well, but what had thrown me off is that it seems to vary by platform. Both seemed to handle my arcade stuff equally well and both handled NES equally poorly. I've got a video rendering currently that shows what I'm talking about. I'm using 7.7-beta-15 in the first part of it and 7.8-beta-3 in the second part but the performance difference between the two versions when going over the same platforms was basically the same.

EDIT: And I just tested and it's unchanged in beta 4. Setting a "Wheel Minimum Speed" of 100ms mostly covers it up at least. That makes me think it has something to do with the image transition or something...

1 minute ago, DR9 said:

when  in LB and I right click a game to play and when i come back to LB and right a different game the menu isn't visible anymore from right clicking.

That actually happens to me all the time as well. It's a minor anoyance I always forget to report. It usually happens after I've had Launchbox open for a while.

1 minute ago, jaythompson said:

That actually happens to me all the time as well. It's a minor anoyance I always forget to report. It usually happens after I've had Launchbox open for a while.

for me there is no time limit, even right after 1 game it its gone when I come back.

@Jason Carr I have been messing about with launchbox today trying to see if I can narrow down that platform ordering issue that you can't reproduce. Here's the thing though, I can't seem to reproduce it anymore myself!! So I don't know if the .NET update has fixed it, but I can't reproduce anymore. If anyone in this thread who was having the issue is on the beta's could they have a look at there systems and see if it's fixed for them? Or if it's just me?

36 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

@Jason Carr I have been messing about with launchbox today trying to see if I can narrow down that platform ordering issue that you can't reproduce. Here's the thing though, I can't seem to reproduce it anymore myself!! So I don't know if the .NET update has fixed it, but I can't reproduce anymore. If anyone in this thread who was having the issue is on the beta's could they have a look at there systems and see if it's fixed for them? Or if it's just me?

as I said before, I'm still having the issues.

2 minutes ago, Napalm2016 said:

@neil9000 I had this issue before this latest Beta which I have installed now, unfortunately for me it still exists but only if you tick the box show all items and show counts all other combinations that Ive just tried with the boxes work fine

Just now, FistyDollars said:

as I said before, I'm still having the issues.

Thanks guys, weird, I could reproduce it on my 1st attempt on Monday, but can't at all today.

12 minutes ago, Napalm2016 said:

@neil9000 I had this issue before this latest Beta which I have installed now, unfortunately for me it still exists but only if you tick the box show all items and show counts all other combinations that Ive just tried with the boxes work fine

Yeah, that's what I did Monday and it went out of order.

Here it is today.

Screenshot (24).pngHeres how it was Monday.

Screenshot (22).pngNothing has changed on my system, just the update to the beta.

Edited by neil9000

I'm having major issues with 7.8 beta 4.

Launchbox gets stuck at startup while saying "Populating Playlists..." for several minutes. An interesting thing is that my Playlists folder is empty (i havn't even tried to create any playlists yet).

When Launchbox finally starts and I try to open Tools->Options, this also takes minutes to load.

I tried deleting Settings.xml before starting Launchbox, and now the startup time is normal. There must be some problematic setting in Settings.xml. But after doing this, the Options page still takes minutes to load.

I also have the weird platform sorting issue, the sorting looks totally random. I don't know how this happened.

Edit: This is really weird. I restored a backup of the Data folder from 2017-01-14 and reinstalled LB 7.7.  The Options page still takes minutes to load.

Edit 2: I even tried Installing LaunchBox 7.7 to a new empty folder.  The Options page still takes minutes to load.

Edit 3: I restarted the computer and everything is back to normal :) Except for the platform sort order.

Edited by Norfair

Alright guys, beta 5 is out. I took it a bit easy (ish) today because I got sick with a bug last night. Nothing major though.

I fixed a bunch of random auto-reported errors as well as added sort titles for platforms and playlists, which will let you custom-order them in the LaunchBox side bar and in Big Box. Let me know how that feature works for you guys.

Gonna take a look at the reported issues here next.

• Like 4