LaunchBox Community Forums

7.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Alright guys, the first 7.8 beta is here, and playlists have been added. They're far from complete, but still very useful. You can right-click on games in LaunchBox and add them to new or existing playlists, arrange by playlists in the sidebar, include certain playlists with your platforms, and view them the same ways in Big Box.

Here are some high-level things that are still on the to-do list:

- Auto playlists (sort of like custom filters are currently, will replace those)

- Adding games to playlists from within Big Box

- A new tab in the playlist add/edit window to display the games in a grid (maybe, needed?)

- Custom ordering for playlist items (needed?), currently uses the same ordering as everything else

- Auto-populating of certain playlists on imports (such as Capcom Classics, Namco Classics, etc. for the Arcade platform)

- Download platform videos support for playlists

You'll notice that playlists support most of the same things that platforms do, because that's basically what they are under the hood. They support the same images and videos as platforms do, and thus they work great in Big Box with all the pretties.

In your Data folder, there will be a new Playlists subfolder, much like Platforms. These playlist XML files are meant to be easily shared between collections and users. Sharing them won't add any new games to your collection, but it will add any matching games that you do have to that playlist in LaunchBox.

Let me know how it goes, guys. :)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright guys, the first 7.8 beta is here, and playlists have been added. They're far from complete, but still very useful. You can right-click on games in LaunchBox and add them to new or existing playlists, arrange by playlists in the sidebar, include certain playlists with your platforms, and view them the same ways in Big Box.

Here are some high-level things that are still on the to-do list:

- Auto playlists (sort of like custom filters are currently, will replace those)

- Adding games to playlists from within Big Box

- A new tab in the playlist add/edit window to display the games in a grid (maybe, needed?)

- Custom ordering for playlist items (needed?), currently uses the same ordering as everything else

- Auto-populating of certain playlists on imports (such as Capcom Classics, Namco Classics, etc. for the Arcade platform)

- Download platform videos support for playlists

You'll notice that playlists support most of the same things that platforms do, because that's basically what they are under the hood. They support the same images and videos as platforms do, and thus they work great in Big Box with all the pretties.

In your Data folder, there will be a new Playlists subfolder, much like Platforms. These playlist XML files are meant to be easily shared between collections and users. Sharing them won't add any new games to your collection, but it will add any matching games that you do have to that playlist in LaunchBox.

Let me know how it goes, guys. :)

Auto imports by Company is great for ARCADE systems.

how do I manage a playlist after I make them? delete/edit the .xml in the data folder?

Worked great for the few shooters I made from console games. SO MUCH NICER then what I had to do before was hardcode make custom platforms for "everything from shmups-vert/hor, capcom only, sega only, etc)

Weird bug I noticed messing around. in Bigbox and VLC/WMP when I open the search box window it pauses the video in the BG but then if I cancel the search window the video wont play anymore and I have to select the next game and go back.

Oh yeahhhhhh. I "think" this might be what I was waiting for.

Will this allow me to apply any game in any platform to some "playlist" in a way that I can see all those game I added to it?

Will it show up like a platform? 

Can I add several "playlists" and some games can be in more than one playlist?

Sorry for the questions. Screenshots would be great if possible! I"m trying to visualize :)

game

1 hour ago, ckp said:

Oh yeahhhhhh. I "think" this might be what I was waiting for.

Will this allow me to apply any game in any platform to some "playlist" in a way that I can see all those game I added to it?

Will it show up like a platform? 

Can I add several "playlists" and some games can be in more than one playlist?

Sorry for the questions. Screenshots would be great if possible! I"m trying to visualize :)

Yes, you can add any game from any platform to create a list of those games.

Yes when need custom ordering IMO so I can keep games like Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, Ultimate Mortal Kombat after it etc.

Sure does, when you create a PL you can add looks like video and platform items like clear logos

I dunno about multi PL's I think Jason made just single self contained ones.

Just right click a game to create one and off you go, next game you want to add right click and add to the exiting PL you made. Probably can use Game audit to mass add games.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Edited by DR9

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

WOOOO! Been waiting on this, super glad it's finally here. I'll test the heck out of it in bigbox mode. Gonna make genre-based playlists. Thanks again for this feature!

Hi @FistyDollars

This issue has been there since the Categories were introduced, but now it seems to have gotten worse.
This is all tied in with the ALL NONE EXISTS and GAME COUNTS settings
You diddn't notice it before probably because you had ALL enabled but GAME COUNTS off.
But now the problem is worse and you are seeing it even with GAME COUNTS off.

Speaking of platforms sorting. I think now is the perfect time to finally add “Sort Titles” for platforms/playlists as well. If you use the playlist feature intensively you will very quickly reach a point where the alphabetical order isn’t very helpful anymore to keep everything structured and a custom order would be needed instead.

• Like 1