LaunchBox Community Forums

7.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

On 2/21/2017 at 3:19 PM, Zombeaver said:

Okay so after testing my backup (which has 7.7-beta-15) it would seem that the issue is present in it as well, but what had thrown me off is that it seems to vary by platform. Both seemed to handle my arcade stuff equally well and both handled NES equally poorly. I've got a video rendering currently that shows what I'm talking about. I'm using 7.7-beta-15 in the first part of it and 7.8-beta-3 in the second part but the performance difference between the two versions when going over the same platforms was basically the same.

EDIT: And I just tested and it's unchanged in beta 4. Setting a "Wheel Minimum Speed" of 100ms mostly covers it up at least. That makes me think it has something to do with the image transition or something...

I researched this issue pretty extensively and it turns out it's specific to the CityHunter theme; it's the same performance issue with the notes that we dealt with previously and fixed. @keltoigael is renaming the ScrollingNotes element to ScrollingNotesMod, which overrides our performance fixes; this does not seem to be the case with the CriticalZone theme. Let me know @keltoigael if there's a reason for this or if we can just switch it up to help with the performance. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DR9 said:

for me there is no time limit, even right after 1 game it its gone when I come back.

Remind me what OS version you're on, @DR9. This doesn't sound like anything I've seen before, so it's likely to be difficult to track down. Any details you can give me about your system could be helpful.

8 hours ago, neil9000 said:

@Jason Carr I have been messing about with launchbox today trying to see if I can narrow down that platform ordering issue that you can't reproduce. Here's the thing though, I can't seem to reproduce it anymore myself!! So I don't know if the .NET update has fixed it, but I can't reproduce anymore. If anyone in this thread who was having the issue is on the beta's could they have a look at there systems and see if it's fixed for them? Or if it's just me?

For those having the ordering issue, please let me know if you still see it in the latest beta. It's a long shot, but I did change one thing that I suppose *could* be the problem, but sadly I'm doubting it.

6 hours ago, Norfair said:

I'm having major issues with 7.8 beta 4.

Launchbox gets stuck at startup while saying "Populating Playlists..." for several minutes. An interesting thing is that my Playlists folder is empty (i havn't even tried to create any playlists yet).

When Launchbox finally starts and I try to open Tools->Options, this also takes minutes to load.

I tried deleting Settings.xml before starting Launchbox, and now the startup time is normal. There must be some problematic setting in Settings.xml. But after doing this, the Options page still takes minutes to load.

I also have the weird platform sorting issue, the sorting looks totally random. I don't know how this happened.

Edit: This is really weird. I restored a backup of the Data folder from 2017-01-14 and reinstalled LB 7.7.  The Options page still takes minutes to load.

Edit 2: I even tried Installing LaunchBox 7.7 to a new empty folder.  The Options page still takes minutes to load.

Edit 3: I restarted the computer and everything is back to normal :) Except for the platform sort order.

I'm finding that the "Populating playlists" message is misleading because it just stays up there while loading up the GUI (playlists load quickly and then the windows load up immediately afterwards). First off, I need to tweak that message to make it more clear, but then I have no idea why this would happen to begin with. I also don't know why the Options window would be affected. So other than blaming Windows for pooping on itself, I have no idea why this would be happening. That said, this has been reported before, so maybe there is something here to look into.

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I researched this issue pretty extensively and it turns out it's specific to the CityHunter theme; it's the same performance issue with the notes that we dealt with previously and fixed. @keltoigael is renaming the ScrollingNotes element to ScrollingNotesMod, which overrides our performance fixes; this does not seem to be the case with the CriticalZone theme. Let me know @keltoigael if there's a reason for this or if we can just switch it up to help with the performance. :)

Thank you for looking into this!

I had previously altered the "scrollingnotesmod" in the view xaml to "scrollingnotes" per @keltoigael's instructions though so I'm not sure what to do at this point :( The video I posted is with it set to "scrollingnotes".

58ae34645e35b_ScrollingNotes.thumb.png.d540b00ab93acabe8ccfeb40a408ffaf.png

I just installed the new beta and the first thing that I've noticed was that in the platform categories filter the “All” section doesn’t get populated with any games anymore. That seems to be only the case for platform categories as it still works for all other filter options perfectly fine.

37 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Remind me what OS version you're on, @DR9. This doesn't sound like anything I've seen before, so it's likely to be difficult to track down. Any details you can give me about your system could be helpful.

i7 / 16gb / samsung ssd / 1080 asus / win10 / dual monitors

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

@Jason Carr The default font for the theme no longer uses the ScrollingNotesMod. Only the new font style uses it because of how the Windows DPI takes over certain views and scales the font, making it miss match. The new font style is not supported and remains unchanged until the DPI scaling work around is put in place and was stated on the theme page as well. I only left the new style in for the people who wanted to still use it.

v1.7.3 - LB v7.6 (02/11/2017)

-Fixed: HorizontalWheel3GamesView icons now scaled correctly

-Fixed: GamesMarquee

-Fixed: Arcade Font style now uses the correct ScrollingNotes command, custom sized font boxes on all views to eliminate scrolling text cutoff. Big performance gain

-Notes: Anita Semi Square font style is still using ScrollingNotesMod in the GameDetailsView to make font size universal on all views. This is because of how BigBox scales due to Windows DPI settings. You will notice a performance lose using this font style until the DPI scaling is fixed in the near future. I was going to remove the style completely until fixed but decided to leave it in for the people who want it.

Edited by keltoigael
  • Like 2

Is it possible to get Dynamic Playlists?   For example, base a playlists contents based on search criteria (or multiple searches - "mario bros" and "super mario" for example to populate a playlist)?  

Might be too CPU intensive, or maybe too small a use case.   But figured I'd throw the idea out there. :)

Thanks for the update @Jason Carr! Am I right in assuming that to use the sort title you just need to put a number in the sort title field under manage platforms ? Like if I wanted my platform called MAME to be first, I would put a "1" in the sort title field in the MAME platform? At least thats what I did and it worked. One thing I noticed is that when I did that it moved the MAME platform to the top position but it also moved my other 2 platforms that start with an "M" right underneath it if I left the sort title field blank in those 2 platforms. It also happens on other platforms when I put a number in the field for a particular platform, it sends other platforms that I don't have a number in the sort title field to other spots in the order instead of just moving them up one spot in the order.

I guess to get the platforms exactly in the order you want,you have to put a number in every sort title field in every platform.

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@Jason Carr - Not sure about @DR9 but here are my specs.

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel core i5-4460

Intel integrated video 4600

And a quick demo of the bug. you can just make out a silhouette of the right click menu. This was after launching one game and coming back to LB.

Platform sorting issue - the plot thickens.
I'm still on beta 3 with my platforms out of order. I have ALL and GAME COUNTS enabled.

I deleted a platform I no longer want and my platforms sorted ok.
I added a new platform and my platforms went out of order again, so I removed this platform and all is back in order.
Next I added a different new platform and all is still in order. Very odd indeed.
And now my Developers are also sorted ok, but Publishers and Genres are still out of order.

Not too sure if going to beta 4 sorts things. @neil9000 your images for your Platforms for beta 3 (29 and out of order) and beta 4 (30 and all in order) show that you added a new platform.

12 hours ago, jaythompson said:

@Jason Carr - Not sure about @DR9 but here are my specs.

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel core i5-4460

Intel integrated video 4600

And a quick demo of the bug. you can just make out a silhouette of the right click menu. This was after launching one game and coming back to LB.

Same as me in the video.

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

For those having the ordering issue, please let me know if you still see it in the latest beta. It's a long shot, but I did change one thing that I suppose *could* be the problem, but sadly I'm doubting it.

@Jason Carr , I've found out something very interesting about the platform ordering issue.

I had this platform:

• Title: Nintendo
  • Scrape As: Nintendo Entertainment System

After changing the platform to this, the platform ordering is working again:

• Title: Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Scrape As: Nintendo Entertainment System

(and the ordering issue reappears if I change the Title back to "Nintendo")

Edited by Norfair
  • Like 1

I also found out that changing the title of a platform have major issues. All the information on the Details tab disappears.

I can recreate this every time:

1. I go to "Manage Platforms...". I open a platform. (example "Nintendo 64")
  2. I change the Title and press OK. ("Nintendo 64" to "Nintendo 64 Test")
  3. Now a weird thing happens. The platform gets two rows in the "Manage Platforms" list. The Folder column is different "Games\Nintendo 64" and "Games\Nintendo 64 Test"
  4. I reopen any of the "two" platforms. On the Details tab, I only have the new Title, everything else is blank.
  5. I now change the Title back to the old one and press OK. ("Nintendo 64 Test" to "Nintendo 64")
  6. I reopen the platform again, now all the details are back.

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm finding that the "Populating playlists" message is misleading because it just stays up there while loading up the GUI (playlists load quickly and then the windows load up immediately afterwards). First off, I need to tweak that message to make it more clear, but then I have no idea why this would happen to begin with. I also don't know why the Options window would be affected. So other than blaming Windows for pooping on itself, I have no idea why this would be happening. That said, this has been reported before, so maybe there is something here to look into.

I've gotten the slow startup and options page two times today. After restarting the computer everything is back to normal, but after a while this comes back.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. Can the new .NET framework version be causing this?