LaunchBox Community Forums

Request for community help - Launch from top level "wheel" in Bigbox

JaysArcade

Hi guys. I need your help. Launchbox, but more specifically, BigBox, is missing what I believe to be a key piece of functionality that I hope gets integrated. I've bugged @Jason Carr and hounded him about it to the point of annoyance I'm sure, but it seems he will only look into it if it becomes a popular subject, e,g, more votes on bitbucket. That's why I'm asking for your help.

Some of you may have seen my requests for top level app loading such as a jukebox app. What exactly does that mean? When you are scrolling through your platforms wheel in Bigbox, you are looking at platforms. When you click to enter that platform you are presented another menu, or a sub wheel if you will. So what if your sub menu only consists of one item? You get a wheel name that repeats and a redundant menu that is not really needed. It really drives me crazy, LOL and I'm not even OCD. See my Jukebox image below. 58b345c2d841e_redundantJukemenu.thumb.png.ee32e5a82ec4d6bdba6de2f50e10c2f1.png

Not sure how difficult it will be for Jason to add this functionality, but to someone with very little programming knowledge, it seems like it would be fairly simple in comparison to some of the other things he's been able to add lately. All the user would need is a checkbox that says something like - This app has no sub-wheel - or something like that.

If this sounds remotely like something you think should be added, please help and vote on my ticket. I don't want to have to write and sing a song to Jason requesting this like his Ode to the Chodes here. Here is the ticket. https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1521/ability-to-launch-a-program-or-game-from

• Like 4

The wheel view is not perfect. It's a closed repeating view and if you haven't got enough platforms (or games within a platform) to fill the screen then you will see the repeating effect.
It would be nice to be able to launch or go to the game details view for a game that is the only one in it's platform by clicking on the platform itself.
However, the unsightly wheel repeating will still be visible for platforms with just a few games, not enough to fill the screen.
My vote too.

• Like 1

Oh man, I'm with you 100% on this one. I love LB as it can be used for an all around front end that controls my media and entertainment as well as my personal game museum, but I've had to make a trade off due to some of the aesthetics and this one drives me insane! I'll throw a vote toward it and hold my breath :D

• Like 1

Thank you guys for supporting this issue. If you haven't already, don't forget to log in to Bitbucket and click the vote button. It goes a long ways in terms of how Jason decides on what issues to work on next. This ticket is currently on page 4 of all issues based on number of votes. Thank you all so much. 

vote.png

It gets my vote too but rather than a check box maybe if there is only one entry it would automatically  not repeat.

Edit: just voted on the bit bucket but although it would be good to launch from the top level your description above explained it differently, more towards the non repeating clear logos

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 1:54 PM, Rincewind said:

Edit: just voted on the bit bucket but although it would be good to launch from the top level your description above explained it differently, more towards the non repeating clear logos

Thanks, yeah I guess my explanation was a little vague there. I meant, if you launch from the top level, you won't get that sub wheel at all with the repeating logos. Of course having choices is everything. I'm sure Jason would be able to figure out how to give us a choice to have the sub wheel or not based on our preferences. If we choose to have it, hopefully he can make it so it doesn't repeat itself. Personally I want the choice to launch directly from the top level "wheel" without the sub at all, but I can image some people will want the extra sub-wheel. I trust if Jason implements this, he'll figure out how to do it right, just like the rest of Launchbox/Bigbox.

• 5 months later...

Hey @shinra358, I'd vote on your ticket if I knew where it was. I've pretty much given up hope that this will be implemented however, even though this kind of basic functionality is available in just about any other frontend out there. Its really the only thing about Launchbox I don't like to be honest. A pretty big missing feature in my opinion.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just voted for it. That ticket is a little different than what my request is however. I just want to be able to see an app displayed like Jukebox, KODI, PLEX, Etc, alongside the main platforms, and when you click it or enter it via your main button in BigBox, the app immediately opens without going into a subwheel at all. If this happens, it doesn't matter if the subwheel loops or not because you won't see a subwheel. A lot of people say to just create a platform named Jukebox, KODI, PLEX or whatever it is you want to launch, add the app to it and launch it from there which is fine, but when you do this, you are just inviting the looping subwheel that says Jukebox (or whatever) over and over when you enter that subwheel. This is not a fix for this situation. As far as I know Hyperspin will also loop the same logo over and over if you set it up this way. However, Hyperspin has a launch executable from the main wheel option that will allow you to avoid this. Not sure why Launchbox can't be programmed to do something similar.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
18 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

Anyone know whether this mod ever got implemented? Just started looking at setting up a jukebox in my BigBox software. Thanks ?

Sadly no. Despite being requested and voted on in bitbucket,  @Jason Carr requires for this to be heavily voted on in his feature request polls. I think he's against implementing it for some reason. Maybe I've been too vocal and given him too much grief about it? I've given up hope that it will ever be implemented to be honest (still complain about it though, LOL).

At one time, I thought he said maybe someone could make a plugin it to make something like this work, but that's beyond my expertise. Not sure how bounties work, but if a plugin author were able to make a plugin to launch an app from top level, I would ante up to pay a bounty.