LaunchBox Community Forums

Your List of Small Things

Lordmonkus

48 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Jason is finishing up work on Launchbox Next and then back to the poll, the code for LBN will lay the foundation to make future features easier to implement.

Of course and I know about LB Next completely spaced for a minute apperantly ?

I think my small thing would not take more than fifteen minutes to implement, but it's probably ridiculously difficult for reasons I can't imagine:

ScummVM handles game engines rather than single games. Some of those engines are open sourced/come with public development tools, causing plenty of fanmade games to exist for them. There's also plenty of commercial games that work just fine on ScummVM but are not officially supported and therefore not found from the game list, because the experience is not perfect.

There's plenty of games to old engine's like Sierra's SCI & AGI and Scumm. One of the more interesting new(ish) developments is Wintermute-engine, which makes ScummVM run modern games (http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/game-engine-wintermute

Anyway, the only thing standing between me and my goal of importing said games to LB as ScummVM games is the lack of said engines as an option in the "what game is it?" -menu ( (this is how d-fend reloaded handled it when it was still alive, ie there's "Gob Engine", "Groove engine"  etc as games). I suppose the list stands in an xml file somewhere, but I rather not edit those manually if I can avoid it.

So, suggestion: either

a) go here http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Engines once a year or so and add the missing engines as "games" or
b) open up the ability to let the users write new "game entries" to said list.

Not sure which makes more sense but both would do it.

Well it's not a small thing but due to absence of news about it, i need to ask for it again. As you know emumovies ( at this moment the first video snap service we could use) have issues scrapping videos with other rom names than HYPERLIST OR NO-INTRO CONVENTIONS. It's the same issue (strict naming convention) that makes errors with retroachievements and a issue that colides with our policy of making full cover text content as the real and first name (sorting on the database). We reallly need to add tags and system that includes the tipical hyperlist naming convention to ensure correct emumovies scrapping, tags for retroachievements as the same workaround, and a recursive use of alternate names of the database. The database is stuffed of alternate names to manage scrapping issues but too many time after launchbox doesn't use it, emumovies still failing to download data if our database naming is diferent, we don't have special tags for the hiperlist namings, the romsets namings. There's more than 2 years from the first ticket that calls for a solution and still we need to have tons of manual work to manage collections and scrapping issues. i don't want to sound rude or fussy but to be honest i'm really sad that this issue is not solved. I really enjoy the launchbox development and i'm really proud of the work and care of the team but as a heavy contributor and moderator i'm losing motivation due to not see a clean solution that makes useful the work of the moderators/contributors and more user friendly import collections procedures.

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/issues/302/feature-emumovies-integration-add

Easily shared game and art media. I shouldn't have to have a duplicate set of artwork for each frontend, especially since it all comes from the same source (emumovies). So some mainstream way of easily importing art in bulk would be great.

Bulk entering roms with autodetection instead of having to go through the wizard for each and every system.

The ability to lock media and/or metadata for select titles or systems.  I'm pretty particular with my curation; while I love the automation to start with, I refine manually over time and don't want unnecessary clutter/incorrect media.

Rationale:

I keep getting incorrect Themes for select titles (Super Mario 3 theme downloading for regular Super Mario)

EmuMovies keeps downloading incorrect videos for select titles

Some Steam Trailers are useless and I've replaced with my own videos, but mass-updates keep pulling the Steam vids anyways

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello

Here is a list of things (probably not "small", i'm not a programmer) in list view.

-Being able to see a small image or a steam banner in list view (maybe one game could use 2 rows to make banner a bit bigger and having more infos without having to scroll to the right).

-Being able to add custom tags (like setting: scifi, modern...), not only on the right tab with the description, but as a column, and be able to search for this tag. and to search using multiple tags as well (maybe using the right description tab as something to have some checkboxes).

-For steam imported games, add a possibility for the user to add a column to see number of users playing this game using (i think) GET https://api.steampowered.com/ISteamUserStats/GetNumberOfCurrentPlayers/v1/?appid=

I think it could be useful when you have a lots of old multiplayerzs games and want to see which are still active.

-Being able to change star color, to say that a game only deserve 2 or 3 star, but for some reason it is a game i like even if it is not that good.

Edited by Strathos70

• 2 weeks later...

Improvement:

Pop-up the badge when get an achievement.

Sincronize with steam to see the steam achievements as well.

Adjustment:

Português translation: In Big Box, the option "Play" need to change from "Tocar" to "Jogar".

3 hours ago, GSaloun said:

Improvement:

Pop-up the badge when get an achievement.

Sincronize with steam to see the steam achievements as well.

Adjustment:

Português translation: In Big Box, the option "Play" need to change from "Tocar" to "Jogar".

Hey GSaloun, I recommend posting your suggestion in the translations topic:

That way the guys doing the portuguese one can update it accordingly :)

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

This might get included in the upcoming retro achievements integration improvements.

Would be cool but wasn't this something Jason said probably couldn't be done since how achievement messages is done by Retroachievements. 

Well I did say "might", I know more retro achievement stuff was on the latest poll and got lots of votes and now with the whole Launchbox Next rebuild it "may" become possible since the whole point of the rebuild was to make new features easier to do.

Of course it may still be impossible or very difficult to do.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 10:09 PM, Kondorito said:

Sorry if this was already stated in previous pages; I havent read them all :S

I would love to have the "Mark as Completed" in the game details view in BigBox, so I dont need to keep going back and forth between LB and BB. 

1. I would like that as well, I don't use LB.Next to play but to organize, in Big Box it would be very nice to have when you complete a game to quickly mark it as such.

2. I don't know if it is possible but I would like to be able to see the resolution of an image in Launchbox.Next within the edit window of a game where you can browse the images, in order to compare images when organizing/cleaning up.

3. Zooming in and out of images within the full screen image viewer of Big Box.

39 minutes ago, JamesBond@ge said:

I think the last time I completed a game was in 1987. I have completion envy. Just sayin'.

Get your revenge on arcade games , all my pocket money (allowance) if your a yank, that I wasted playing Kung fu master in the 80's , now I just put cheats on in mame and kick ass like a boss ??= completed .

Next up "Bad dudes vs dragon ninja" 

• Like 1

I would like the rooms appointment system to be fixed. There are quite a few rooms that include, the and still appear with the, the. also happens with signs such as: - á (accents) that creates confligtos Iosea passes a lot Pokemon: Goldene Edition in the database comes out as Pokémon: Goldene Edition and does not identify it launchbox