LaunchBox Community Forums

CoverBox

faeran

2 hours ago, FoxyMonty said:

I believe there is a missing plugin from both the NES themes. 

Thanks, looked like the CoverBox - NES Detailed was missing the plugin, but the NES one did have it.

You may need to unblock the plugin by right clicking the zip file, or the plugin, going into properties, and unblock.

CoverBox - PSX has been released

• This theme consists of 4 separate themes, with 2 distinct styles.
  • CoverBox - PSX NTSC - Depicts the NTSC version of the PlayStation 1 cover
    • CoverBox - PSX NTSC Spin - Same as above, but the discs are animated
  • CoverBox - PSX PAL - Depicts the PAL version of the PlayStation 1 cover
    • CoverBox - PSX PAL Spin - Same as above, but the discs are animated

Edited by faeran
  • Like 9

Amazing work, I was getting really bummed out lately due to themes lacking any individual character for each system - right when I was about to reluctantly settle, I spot this thread! Incredible stuff, I'm super grateful for your efforts.

Any plans for Wii U, 3DS, NDS and PS2?

Edited by Rhine
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, I'm pretty new to BigBox, so maybe I just need to tweak a setting in BigBox, but I just pulled down your CoverBox 32X theme to try it out and I love it. I am having a strange issue where I'll go through the game list and when I select one, I get a list of options like "Play", "Add to favorites", "Mark as Broken" etc. but as I'm navigating that list, the instruction manual and cart swoop back in and take away my visibility for the options. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is there at least a way I can change the length of time before that happens?

Otherwise, loving the theme! Looking forward to installing many more of them.

1 hour ago, sparksterz said:

So, I'm pretty new to BigBox, so maybe I just need to tweak a setting in BigBox, but I just pulled down your CoverBox 32X theme to try it out and I love it. I am having a strange issue where I'll go through the game list and when I select one, I get a list of options like "Play", "Add to favorites", "Mark as Broken" etc. but as I'm navigating that list, the instruction manual and cart swoop back in and take away my visibility for the options. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is there at least a way I can change the length of time before that happens?

Pretty sure the game options screen doesn't work in Cover Box themes.

38 minutes ago, sparksterz said:

Hi @sparksterz. Thanks for the comment. This is the unfortunate truth for a few of the coverbox themes due to the limitations of the theming engine. When I created the ones with the animations, I had to make a decision to either have the box art appear, or always show the game list. I ended up choosing to make the box appear, which means that if you use the game options screen, you won't be able to see the menu. 

I'll probably release versions of the themes that keeps the game list in lieu of the artwork. However, the ideal solution would be if the theming engine would allow for more than one text list view. That would solve this particular issue. 

Until then, we settle for what we have.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @faeran. I've already uploaded my review of these themes, but the tl;dr is that they're all great, but suffer from design inconsistencies across platforms (some has video scanlines, some rotate covers, etc).

For this post I wanted to propose a primary suggestion for this project: Uploading a 'general' theme. Something to use as a placeholder for systems without it's own custom theme yet, or those unlikely to have custom themes at all. I believe this is a good idea because it'll match people's less popular platforms with the rest of the project without looking too out-of-place. Maybe have it be some generic retro/pixel look or something.

Otherwise, the only other suggestions I have are mostly a wishlist of platforms to add that are less reasonable to divest energy/time into, but I'll list them anyways in the off-chance they catch your attention:

• NEC TurboGrafx-16
  • Nintendo WiiU
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Sony PSP
  • Sony PS2

And these are less reasonable because these systems lack actual "game covers" to design around. I feel that they fit better under the 'general' theme idea than having dedicated themes themselves, but regardless:

• MAME platform
  • PC-Based Arcade Systems (Taito-X, Tekno Parrot, etc)
  • Sega Model 2 & 3
  • MS-DOS
  • Modern Computer Games (Steam/Windows/etc)

Overall your project is great and I hope to see it updated to be even better over time. Thanks. :)

Been absolutely enjoying these themes, although I ran into a bizarre issue with the Virtual Boy theme - when I hot select the CoverBox - VirtualBoy theme, the video snap runs full screen and the covers all display simultaneously in a wall-like view (attached screenshot).  All my other Coverbox themes have worked perfectly on Launchbox 8.7; any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

vboy.jpg

Edited by cnm

11 minutes ago, cnm said:

Been absolutely enjoying these themes, although I ran into a bizarre issue with the Virtual Boy theme - when I hot select the CoverBox - VirtualBoy theme, the video snap runs full screen and the covers all display simultaneously in a wall-like view (attached screenshot).  All my other Coverbox themes have worked perfectly on Launchbox 8.7; any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

vboy.jpg

You are in the wrong view there, that is the defaulf wall view,just switch the view there.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You are in the wrong view there, that is the defaulf wall view,just switch the view there.

Thanks for the input!  hmmm, I double-checked that I was selecting the right theme (attached), and tried again with the same result...by chance, is there any reason that BigBox would mistake the CoverBox theme for the wall view?

vboy2.jpg

3 minutes ago, cnm said:

Thanks for the input!  hmmm, I double-checked that I was selecting the right theme (attached), and tried again with the same result...by chance, is there any reason that BigBox would mistake the CoverBox theme for the wall view?

vboy2.jpg

Each theme has several "views", go to options then keyboard or controller depending on what you use and set a button to "switch view" go back to that view and use the button you just set to cycle through the views to the one you want.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Each theme has several "views", go to options then keyboard or controller depending on what you use and set a button to "switch view" go back to that view and use the button you just set to cycle through the views to the one you want.

That did the trick☺️  Thank you so much for the help!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, harryoke said:

what are you after ? , i will try and fill in requests when i have time.

Thanks @harryoke. I'm still around though. I actually started altering some stuff with this recently. I'll be finishing updating the older themes, make some alternate views, and add a few more in the process.

Watch this space.

• Like 2