LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll

Jason Carr

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll  

1,698 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

• New Paid Android Version (Select Games on the Desktop, Export to Android)
    • Platform-specific Zoom and Aspect Ratios for LaunchBox
    • Marquee Video Support, Customization Options for Placement and Image Types
    • Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox
    • Integrated Retroarch Netplay Lobby Browser
    • Display Platform/Playlist/Category Information in the LaunchBox Game Details Sidebar when No Game is Selected
    • Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list)
    • Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores
    • Disable Certain Controllers (such as Flight Sticks), Multiple Controllers with Different Bindings
    • Bulk Edit Additional Apps
    • Per-Game AutoHotkey Script Support
    • Previous and Next Buttons in LaunchBox Edit Window
    • Automatic Multi-Disc Playlist Creation for Retroarch
    • Backup and Restore Options for Data and Settings
    • Big Box Wall View Overhaul
    • Game Screenshot Grabber
    • Big Box Theme-Specific Settings (Save and Restore Settings for Each Theme)
    • Indicator/Icon for Games with Multiple Versions Available
    • Bulk Edit Platform and Move Media to Proper Folders
    • Option to Reverse Sort Order in LaunchBox
  2. 2. Round 2 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

• Amiga WHD Name Conversion (Like MAME)
    • Icons for Types of Controls (Keyboard/Mouse, PS4/Xbox Controller, Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc.)
    • API importer for GOG
    • Option to Force Update Games Database Metadata
    • Option to Manually Check for Updates
    • Retro Achievements Gamer Score, Profile, and Leaderboards
    • Proper Support for Year-Only Release Dates
    • Auditing Overhaul - Add Missing Fields and Allow Full-Library Audits
    • Parsec Integration
    • Allow Launch With for Additional Apps/Versions
    • Media Cleanup Overhaul - Review/Change Items, Move to Folder or Delete
    • Xbox Controller and PS4 Controller Home Button Support
    • New Document Fields for Hintbooks, Cheats, and Maps
    • Video Clip Grabber for Missing Videos
    • Steam Achievements in Details like Retro Achievements
    • Visual icon/indicator for Broken Games
    • Filter to Games with Missing Media
    • Proper Support for MAME Software Lists
    • Big Box Parental Restrictions (Use Pin Code to Hide Games with Certain Ratings)
    • Option to Name Media via ROM File Name instead of Game Title (where possible, won't work for non-ROM-based platforms)

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

To be honest, I will probably eventually improve the marquees regardless, at least once I finally get my own marquee screen in place on my cab.

I know, that's why I get tempted more and more to ship you one. ?

I am here for the long haul with Launchbox so I never really fuss about things. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pixel said:

Because this is the only feature thread now, I do not know where to ask about it. So here it is.

Why can't we set steam banners as a default box type in platform settings? We can set banners etc. but why not steam banners?

I have those "messy" images now in my "mixed platform" playlists just because this option is missing.

This was added just a while ago. And I cannot understand why all types of images were not included? Was there any time consuming obstacle? Or maybe just an oversight, I wonder?

Now if I merge banners with steam banners to get the result, it will break other things. Because this is not meant to be done.

@Jason Carr just has not finished implementing this feature yet :) That's my theory. Probably it will take 5 minutes to edit/add it. I hope so.

Thanks!

Unless I am misunderstanding exactly what you mean by "set steam banners as default box type" you can actually do this. In image priorities in the Launchbox >Tools>Options just tick steam banner and move it to the top of the list for Box Front (you may have to refresh the image cache to affect a change). Additionally under Image Group you can set the default view in Launchbox for any platform to "Steam Banner".

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 6.22.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 6.22.42 AM.png

8 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Thanks for your answer!  Actually, this is a pretty new feature that not everyone knows about yet. Just feels very unfinished to me.

You go to manage platforms, then  edit platform to set a default platrom in the "Images". Currently, there are only 4 platforms you can set a default image for (1 per platform)

That feature is not new. It has been there for a while. Those options are not to set game images for platforms. Those 4 images are for the platform itself (Such as a clear logo, banner, fanart say for the Sega CD console itself). Steam would probably not have a banner for hardware. Images for games within a platform are controlled by the Image Priorities. 

What Jason did add to that specific section was the ability to add a "Default Box", "Default 3D Box", "Default Cart" and "Default 3D Cart" for games that are missing those image types so you don't have just a blank square with a name. Is that what you are looking for? To set a "Default Steam Banner" for games missing Steam Banners?

15 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I see. I just wanted to have one type of image per playlist. Currently, they are mixed. It is something that does not look nice to me. Is there a way to do it, currently?

Unfortunately they are mixed since the Playlists pull images from each specific platform and box image shapes/sizes vary by platform. I am not sure there is much that can be done right now as is. Pretty much any image type varies platform to platform. Even looking a screenshot gameplay, fanart, flyers they all vary.

Steam Banners would be nice since they are uniform, but I am not sure Steam has a library of banner images for all the systems in emulation.  

@Pixel Each image category has it's own set of priorities, as @Retro808 shared above. Step 1, alter your image priorities for Box Front to put Steam banners on top. Step 2, select your platform in LaunchBox. Step 3, use the Image Group drop down in the top right of the main LaunchBox interface to select Boxes for that platform. Step 4, select all your games and then right click and select Refresh Selected Images. That last step is only required after changing the image priority settings. It's probably just best to refresh all images in your collection after changing image priority settings.

Just now, Pixel said:

I did it and that is the result that I got. Yes, it filled the missing images.

4545.thumb.png.4370da66e116713612f2d691cb2e5f80.pngI still wish that there was an option to set one type of image per playlist, however. I have no idea if this took you a few minutes or many hours to implement?

Anyways, thank you for you help! And sorry for trouble.

There's not much difference between adding Steam Banners to that Image Group drop down or not if you're missing images. If you don't have Steam banners for everything, they won't show up anyways. It's actually not a quick job to add Steam banners there. Not hard, but the code changes would be significant.

I love big box, but clearly this software is more attractive to the non-cabinet, heavy console games user.  XBOX controller priority?  No one with ANY street arcade cred would tolerate using an XBOX controller to play MAME.  I'll continue to use Launch box/Big box for my console emulation while i'm sitting on the couch, but Hyperspin is the way to go if you want the arcade cabinet experience.  And I acknowledge that Hyperspin is a pain in the a*$ to work with.  #marqueesupportdies

1 minute ago, thogar480 said:

I love big box, but clearly this software is more attractive to the non-cabinet, heavy console games user.  XBOX controller priority?  No one with ANY street arcade cred would tolerate using an XBOX controller to play MAME.  I'll continue to use Launch box/Big box for my console emulation while i'm sitting on the couch, but Hyperspin is the way to go if you want the arcade cabinet experience.  And I acknowledge that Hyperspin is a pain in the a*$ to work with.  #marqueesupportdies

You do realise you can get xinput arcade sticks right? So my arcade stick is seen as a xbox controller.

21 minutes ago, thogar480 said:

What exactly are you missing for your cab? This came out of the blue as your first post and just comes off as straight fanboyism. I'm glad you like Hyperspin, but absolutely nothing you've said tells me *why* you like Hyperspin better. Tell me why, and I'll either help you to figure out what you're missing, or at least consider adding what you're missing.

• Like 3

BigBox theme support for Options menu.

I am trying to add this plugin (GitHub) to the OptionsView.xaml and OptionsPage.xaml but I get the error below. It is accepting the FontSize and also stays centred in the OptionsView.xaml however it throws the error when I press up or down also not sure if/or I can add it to OptionsPage.xaml.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     Big Box
Version: 9.10-beta-5
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Int32 (System.Windows.Controls.ListBox)
Source:  Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf

at (ListBox )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.ListBoxHelper.GetNumberOfVerticalVisibleItems(ListBox listBox)
   at (<>c__DisplayClass15_0 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.OptionsViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<set_SelectedMenuItem>b__0()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (Action , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.OptionsViewModel.set_SelectedMenuItem(MenuItemViewModel value)
   at (OptionsViewModel , Boolean , Boolean )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.OptionsViewModel.OnDown(Boolean held, Boolean onlyDownPressed)
   at (MainViewModel , Boolean )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.OnDown(Boolean onlyDownPressed)
   at (MainViewModel , KeyEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.HandleKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at (MainView , Object , KeyEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.Views.MainView.MainView_OnPreviewKeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawKeyboardActions actions, Int32 scanCode, Boolean isExtendedKey, Boolean isSystemKey, Int32 virtualKey)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.CriticalTranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.OnPreprocessMessage(Object param)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

7:38:25 AM Music.Pause Start
   7:38:25 AM Music.Resume Start
   7:38:25 AM Music.Resume Start
   7:38:28 AM Music.Pause Start
   7:38:29 AM Music.Resume Start
   7:38:29 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   7:38:30 AM Music.Initialize Start
   7:38:30 AM Music.Kill Start
   7:38:30 AM Music.Kill Finished
   7:38:34 AM Music.Kill Start
   7:38:34 AM Music.Kill Finished
   7:38:35 AM Exception

I edited the project as follows.

OptionsView.xaml

xmlns:lbsc="clr-namespace:ListBoxScrollCenter;assembly=ListBoxScrollCenter"

<lbsc:OptionsList Name="MenuItems" FontSize="30">
			<i:Interaction.Triggers>
				<i:EventTrigger EventName="MouseDoubleClick">
					<cal:ActionMessage MethodName="OnEnter" />
				</i:EventTrigger>
			</i:Interaction.Triggers>
</lbsc:OptionsList>

OptionsList.xaml

<UserControl x:Class="ListBoxScrollCenter.OptionsList"
             xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
             xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
             xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006" 
             xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008" 
             xmlns:local="clr-namespace:ListBoxScrollCenter"
             mc:Ignorable="d" 
             d:DesignHeight="400" d:DesignWidth="600">
    <local:DPIFix>
        <ListBox Name="CenteredLB" SelectionChanged="ScrollIntoView" Style="{DynamicResource ListBoxStyle}" ItemsSource="{Binding MenuItems}" SelectedItem="{Binding Path=SelectedMenuItem}">
            <ListBox.ItemsPanel>
                <ItemsPanelTemplate>
                    <VirtualizingStackPanel IsItemsHost="True" Orientation="Vertical" VirtualizingPanel.VirtualizationMode="Recycling"/>
                </ItemsPanelTemplate>
            </ListBox.ItemsPanel>
            <ListBox.ItemTemplate>
                <DataTemplate>
                    <Border Name="Border" Width="{Binding ActualWidth, RelativeSource={RelativeSource AncestorType={x:Type ListBox}}}" Padding="10,5,0,5">
                        <DockPanel>
                            <TextBlock Name="Text" DockPanel.Dock="Left" Text="{Binding Text}" TextTrimming="CharacterEllipsis" TextWrapping="NoWrap"/>
                        </DockPanel>
                    </Border>
                </DataTemplate>
            </ListBox.ItemTemplate>
        </ListBox>
    </local:DPIFix>
</UserControl>

OptionsList.xaml.cs

using System.Windows.Controls;

namespace ListBoxScrollCenter
{
    public partial class OptionsList : UserControl
    {
        public OptionsList()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

private void ScrollIntoView(object sender, SelectionChangedEventArgs e)
        {
            CenteredLB.ScrollToCenterOfView(CenteredLB.SelectedItem);
        }
    }
}

Jason, I don’t like Hyperspin at all.

Big box does everything I need except provide enough options for dynamic marquee support.  I don’t want to have to get a $500 stretch vitrolite monitor as a second screen. If we could position the marquee image where we wanted like in Hypermarquee, I’d be a happy guy.  That way, in my particular build (vewlix style cab) I could use any old monitor for the marquee by moving the image to the top of the screen and hiding the bottom.

I have a full blown working version of Launch box on my media computer that runs my console ROMs and I love it. This ain’t fanboy speak for Hyperspin - I think Hyperspin is a complete nightmare to work with - but it has hypermarquee   

Im a paid supporter of launch box btw. I just wish marquee support was something higher up on the new feature poll list, so it’s probably a long way away. I did what I could and voted, sent this same request through the feature wish list etc. I don’t expect you to just drop everything and put this feature in immediately - I just wish the poll system worked for my issue.  And that’s what I’m saying, my need is not as common in this community. 

I’m not probably starting the cab woodworking until October anyway when it cools off a little (in Phoenix). I appreciate that LEDBlinky is already supported and second screen is already there, I just need to move the image around. 

I appreciate your program and efforts that why I support it financially. 

50 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

What exactly are you missing for your cab? This came out of the blue as your first post and just comes off as straight fanboyism. I'm glad you like Hyperspin, but absolutely nothing you've said tells me *why* you like Hyperspin better. Tell me why, and I'll either help you to figure out what you're missing, or at least consider adding what you're missing.

I'm an ex-hyperspin user AND a cabinet builder and I get more than I've ever got from a front-end with LaunchBox/BigBox. 

If you pine for Hyperspin then you are clearly not understanding just how easy Big Box is mate. 

Please just give it a proper go. Try the YouTube tutorial and spend literally 20 minutes and you'll be up and running. It is really really really REALLY simple! 

I was amazing at how easy it is to set up. It makes tinkering a pleasure rather than a chore. 

Just make the leap!! (Don't worry - I'll catch ya!) ?

2 minutes ago, thogar480 said:

Jason, I don’t like Hyperspin at all.

Big box does everything I need except provide enough options for dynamic marquee support.  I don’t want to have to get a $500 stretch vitrolite monitor as a second screen. If we could position the marquee image where we wanted like in Hypermarquee, I’d be a happy guy.  That way, in my particular build (vewlix style cab) I could use any old monitor for the marquee by moving the image to the top of the screen and hiding the bottom.

I have a full blown working version of Launch box on my media computer that runs my console ROMs and I love it. This ain’t fanboy speak for Hyperspin - I think Hyperspin is a complete nightmare to work with - but it has hypermarquee   

Im a paid supporter of launch box btw. I just wish marquee support was something higher up on the new feature poll list, so it’s probably a long way away. I did what I could and voted, sent this same request through the feature wish list etc. I don’t expect you to just drop everything and put this feature in immediately - I just wish the poll system worked for my issue.  And that’s what I’m saying, my need is not as common in this community. 

I’m not probably starting the cab woodworking until October anyway when it cools off a little (in Phoenix). I appreciate that LEDBlinky is already supported and second screen is already there, I just need to move the image around. 

I appreciate your program and efforts that why I support it financially. 

Your first post here mentioned nothing of marquees other than the # at the end of the post. Instead your first post was just some weird rant about XBox controllers.

Right, I should have been more specific.  Not sure it was weird, but whatever.  I'm disappointed that marquee support is 22 on the list and xbox controller additional support is near the top.  XBOX controller support being something i personally have ZERO need for.  I realize that's a high priority for a large number of people in this community.  I just don't want to play Total Carnage with a controller.

17 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

I'm an ex-hyperspin user AND a cabinet builder and I get more than I've ever got from a front-end with LaunchBox/BigBox. 

If you pine for Hyperspin then you are clearly not understanding just how easy Big Box is mate. 

Please just give it a proper go. Try the YouTube tutorial and spend literally 20 minutes and you'll be up and running. It is really really really REALLY simple! 

I was amazing at how easy it is to set up. It makes tinkering a pleasure rather than a chore. 

Just make the leap!! (Don't worry - I'll catch ya!) ?

I know Johnny T, like I said I'm already using Big Box and i love it.  It just doesn't have a specific feature I would like to see added, but apparently I'm in the minority.   

3 minutes ago, thogar480 said:

I'm disappointed that marquee support is 22 on the list and xbox controller additional support is near the top.  XBOX controller support being something i personally have ZERO need for.  I realize that's a high priority for a large number of people in this community.

The people who voted determined it, that's what a vote on a poll is for.

4 minutes ago, thogar480 said:

I just don't want to play Total Carnage with a controller.

And no one says you have to, use whatever controller you want.

Launchbox doesn't determine what controller you use in any emulator.