LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll

Jason Carr

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll  

1,698 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

• New Paid Android Version (Select Games on the Desktop, Export to Android)
    • Platform-specific Zoom and Aspect Ratios for LaunchBox
    • Marquee Video Support, Customization Options for Placement and Image Types
    • Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox
    • Integrated Retroarch Netplay Lobby Browser
    • Display Platform/Playlist/Category Information in the LaunchBox Game Details Sidebar when No Game is Selected
    • Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list)
    • Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores
    • Disable Certain Controllers (such as Flight Sticks), Multiple Controllers with Different Bindings
    • Bulk Edit Additional Apps
    • Per-Game AutoHotkey Script Support
    • Previous and Next Buttons in LaunchBox Edit Window
    • Automatic Multi-Disc Playlist Creation for Retroarch
    • Backup and Restore Options for Data and Settings
    • Big Box Wall View Overhaul
    • Game Screenshot Grabber
    • Big Box Theme-Specific Settings (Save and Restore Settings for Each Theme)
    • Indicator/Icon for Games with Multiple Versions Available
    • Bulk Edit Platform and Move Media to Proper Folders
    • Option to Reverse Sort Order in LaunchBox
  2. 2. Round 2 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

• Amiga WHD Name Conversion (Like MAME)
    • Icons for Types of Controls (Keyboard/Mouse, PS4/Xbox Controller, Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc.)
    • API importer for GOG
    • Option to Force Update Games Database Metadata
    • Option to Manually Check for Updates
    • Retro Achievements Gamer Score, Profile, and Leaderboards
    • Proper Support for Year-Only Release Dates
    • Auditing Overhaul - Add Missing Fields and Allow Full-Library Audits
    • Parsec Integration
    • Allow Launch With for Additional Apps/Versions
    • Media Cleanup Overhaul - Review/Change Items, Move to Folder or Delete
    • Xbox Controller and PS4 Controller Home Button Support
    • New Document Fields for Hintbooks, Cheats, and Maps
    • Video Clip Grabber for Missing Videos
    • Steam Achievements in Details like Retro Achievements
    • Visual icon/indicator for Broken Games
    • Filter to Games with Missing Media
    • Proper Support for MAME Software Lists
    • Big Box Parental Restrictions (Use Pin Code to Hide Games with Certain Ratings)
    • Option to Name Media via ROM File Name instead of Game Title (where possible, won't work for non-ROM-based platforms)

This poll is closed to new votes

12 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Hmm, i wouldnt of thought that would be to highly requested. I use save states all the time, but only ever one, i just constantly overwrite it, i never choose a slot or have more than one.

Well apparently it isn't highly requested yet, but yeah I love utilizing all the save slots available for an emulator, just to have options.  RL's Pause takes a screenshot when you do a save state, so that you can quickly see where you were at as you scroll through slots to load. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 12:00 PM, Jason Carr said:

Any PDF additional apps you add will automatically show up on the pause screen.

What do you mean by this?

In order for me to create a 'View Moves List' under my MAME Arcade Mortal Kombat II game, I do the following...
- Create a folder named 'Moves Lists' under the LaunchBox folder; then an 'Arcade' platform folder under that. Then add the 'Mortal Kombat II.pdf' moves list to that folder.
- Open LaunchBox, then right click the Mortal Kombat II game, and choose Edit.
- Click on the 'Additional Apps' tab.
- Click on 'Add Application...'
- under the Application Name field, I type 'View Moves List'. This is what shows up in the BigBox Pause Screen.
- under the 'Application Path field', I have to browse to the exact PDF I want. In this case 'Mortal Kobat II.pdf'

Are you saying I don't need to do this for every game? I would rather I just create the new 'Moves Lists' folder and then just copy all the pdf's of the games I want in there... Like we can do with the default 'Manuals' folder. Otherwise, I am going to have to do the following steps for every game I want to add.

Edited by ItchyRobot

2 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

Well apparently it isn't highly requested yet, but yeah I love utilizing all the save slots available for an emulator, just to have options.  RL's Pause takes a screenshot when you do a save state, so that you can quickly see where you were at as you scroll through slots to load. 

If i am not mistaken RetroArch has the screenshot option for savestats.

could be pretty slick if LB could pull those for a savestate menu.

I think another thing I wanna see happen is if we can fix where it no longer sets a game back to the default Emulator when you search Search for Metadata. That can get kinda annoying when you want to get all the proper media and details set and then find out your game no longer works right because the Emulator got changed, and then you have to go back in to Edit and remember which one it was set to.

2 hours ago, RULLUR said:

I think another thing I wanna see happen is if we can fix where it no longer sets a game back to the default Emulator when you search Search for Metadata. That can get kinda annoying when you want to get all the proper media and details set and then find out your game no longer works right because the Emulator got changed, and then you have to go back in to Edit and remember which one it was set to.

Can not say I have ever had that happen. Just tested updating metadata/medua for a handful of games and some of them I changed to random emulators before I did to see if it changed. Mame is set as my default for Arcade so changed several games to Retroach and a couple to FBA and ran media updater. All games stayed what I changed them too and of course the ones listed as Mame stayed as well.

This might be something you want to start a thread and troubleshoot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Can not say I have ever had that happen. Just tested updating metadata/medua for a handful of games and some of them I changed to random emulators before I did to see if it changed. Mame is set as my default for Arcade so changed several games to Retroach and a couple to FBA and ran media updater. All games stayed what I changed them too and of course the ones listed as Mame stayed as well.

This might be something you want to start a thread and troubleshoot.

Yeah..like I have several versions of MAME going for certain titles that may not work with the newest versions, so when I search Metadata it will roll to the default MAME I have set as the newest one available when I may actually need to run a certain older version of MAME or possibly FBA. I guess I'll try making a thread later when I can though, and there are some other topics I need to do such as trying to figure a way to set my Hyperkin Admirals for only N64 RetroArch games & etc.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:37 PM, Jason Carr said:

Welcome to the LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll! This list was community sourced from BitBucket, the forums, and vetted over via a live stream with the community. Please vote above on all features that you would like to prioritize for LaunchBox development.

Feel free to ask any questions about poll items below. The poll will be live until Monday, July 22nd. Happy voting. :)

Edit: The poll is complete! Here are the detailed results in a format that makes slightly more sense:

Filter to Games with Missing Media 590 34.75%

Hi!

Sorry for being late with this question I wanted to ask ages ago. Any chance on a future update to add to the Missing Media options "Box Back" ? Would be great!

And thank you Jason & everyone involved for making Launchbox/BigBox and building the database! it's been a pleasure/hobby building from nothing a collection I've never thought of doing otherwise, and enjoying the presentation in BigBox. I've also learned a crazy amount of additional Gaming history on the way, even discovering titles I never knew existed. Brilliant!

10 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Yeah..like I have several versions of MAME going for certain titles that may not work with the newest versions, so when I search Metadata it will roll to the default MAME I have set as the newest one available when I may actually need to run a certain older version of MAME or possibly FBA. I guess I'll try making a thread later when I can though, and there are some other topics I need to do such as trying to figure a way to set my Hyperkin Admirals for only N64 RetroArch games & etc.

Well that sounds like more of a issue of you having a mish mash of different roms from different versions that you are trying to use in one "system". You would be much better off getting a complete romset and using the correct version of MAME with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Launchbox team! What are the chances of this feature coming into a near future release? " Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox " as it seemed to win 8th place according to this tally by @Jason Carr

I'm particular interested in having the app incorporate the "Max Players" and the "Cooperative" fields so I can auto-populate my playlists for console 2 player and 4 player games. This feature would be very useful to me and from what I'm finding on the forums for a lot of others too and hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

19 minutes ago, richardoswald said:

Hello Launchbox team! What are the chances of this feature coming into a near future release? " Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox " as it seemed to win 8th place according to this tally by @Jason Carr

I'm particular interested in having the app incorporate the "Max Players" and the "Cooperative" fields so I can auto-populate my playlists for console 2 player and 4 player games. This feature would be very useful to me and from what I'm finding on the forums for a lot of others too and hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

It's definitely coming @richardoswald. We'll be tackling all top 20 items before the next poll.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 6:54 PM, Jason Carr said:

It's definitely coming @richardoswald. We'll be tackling all top 20 items before the next poll.

Very hyped for this feature! I've built my own list of coop games for some consoles, but consoles like the Turbographx 16 and some others weren't very popular in my home town back in the early 90s, so I don't know much about those game libraries. Having this feature will surely make me discover new games I've never played before :) 

• 1 month later...

I really love Launchbox and I paid a lifetime licence, besides I don't use bigbox at all, just launchbox, I really love it for organizing my games. However I need to say that I care A LOT for the design and the little details and I think in that aspect LB has a lot of room for improvement. I know probably most people use bigbox and I think it could look really fantastic, but for launchbox itself I think a lot of things can be done. There are some beautiful themes, but for someone that isn't a developer it is really complicated to edit an existing one or create a new one. However, no matter what theme do you choose to use, I think there could be some customization options that should be implemented.

My 3 top features that I would like to see in the future are:

- More customization for covers (allow users to round the edges, fill the space with cover so all look the same width and height)

- More customization for game details panel (I can't understand why the cover is not a field in the details panel, so If I choose to use the list view, I can't see any cover of my games, even in the details panel, also, it will be awesome to be able to select the order of the items)

- Some kind of theme creation tool, so anyone can create and modify themes without being an expert on WPF

So, again, I do really love launchbox, and I hope you can consider any of this features for next updates.

PD: I already submitted the first 2 as feature requests.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did the "show all the other installed versions from different platforms of the same game" make the cut this year? The one like one of the other front ends has where if you go to the details of the game, like space invaders in the arcade section, and it show the apple version, the atari version, etc. ect, and if you click on it, the video runs in a small window and you can run one of the other versions from there.

8 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

Did the "show all the other installed versions from different platforms of the same game" make the cut this year? The one like one of the other front ends has where if you go to the details of the game, like space invaders in the arcade section, and it show the apple version, the atari version, etc. ect, and if you click on it, the video runs in a small window and you can run one of the other versions from there.

Doesn't look like it made the poll, no. We've had quite a few requests for it, but we've hesitated to implement it because it's not possible to do accurately. For example, we don't 100% know if "Game A" for one platform is actually the same game for another platform, or if it's just a duplicate title. Our best idea though is to use developer, publisher, and release date information to try and line them up. It wouldn't be perfect this way but it will probably end up as an option on the next poll.

Could anyone clarify what this feature entails --

Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list)

Does this mean that when you're in a platform, you'll be able to sort games by genres, playmodes, release year, etc... when invoking the alphanumeric list, instead of just sorting by title?

Edited by bbweiners
Making post more clear

1 hour ago, bbweiners said:

Could anyone clarify what this feature entails --

Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list)

Does this mean that when you're in a platform, you'll be able to sort games by genres, playmodes, release year, etc... when invoking the alphanumeric list, instead of just sorting by title?

Yes, that is what that item entailed. It just missed the 20-item cutoff though, so it'll probably end up again on the next poll.

• Like 1