LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll

Jason Carr

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll  

1,698 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

• New Paid Android Version (Select Games on the Desktop, Export to Android)
    • Platform-specific Zoom and Aspect Ratios for LaunchBox
    • Marquee Video Support, Customization Options for Placement and Image Types
    • Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox
    • Integrated Retroarch Netplay Lobby Browser
    • Display Platform/Playlist/Category Information in the LaunchBox Game Details Sidebar when No Game is Selected
    • Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list)
    • Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores
    • Disable Certain Controllers (such as Flight Sticks), Multiple Controllers with Different Bindings
    • Bulk Edit Additional Apps
    • Per-Game AutoHotkey Script Support
    • Previous and Next Buttons in LaunchBox Edit Window
    • Automatic Multi-Disc Playlist Creation for Retroarch
    • Backup and Restore Options for Data and Settings
    • Big Box Wall View Overhaul
    • Game Screenshot Grabber
    • Big Box Theme-Specific Settings (Save and Restore Settings for Each Theme)
    • Indicator/Icon for Games with Multiple Versions Available
    • Bulk Edit Platform and Move Media to Proper Folders
    • Option to Reverse Sort Order in LaunchBox
  2. 2. Round 2 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

• Amiga WHD Name Conversion (Like MAME)
    • Icons for Types of Controls (Keyboard/Mouse, PS4/Xbox Controller, Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc.)
    • API importer for GOG
    • Option to Force Update Games Database Metadata
    • Option to Manually Check for Updates
    • Retro Achievements Gamer Score, Profile, and Leaderboards
    • Proper Support for Year-Only Release Dates
    • Auditing Overhaul - Add Missing Fields and Allow Full-Library Audits
    • Parsec Integration
    • Allow Launch With for Additional Apps/Versions
    • Media Cleanup Overhaul - Review/Change Items, Move to Folder or Delete
    • Xbox Controller and PS4 Controller Home Button Support
    • New Document Fields for Hintbooks, Cheats, and Maps
    • Video Clip Grabber for Missing Videos
    • Steam Achievements in Details like Retro Achievements
    • Visual icon/indicator for Broken Games
    • Filter to Games with Missing Media
    • Proper Support for MAME Software Lists
    • Big Box Parental Restrictions (Use Pin Code to Hide Games with Certain Ratings)
    • Option to Name Media via ROM File Name instead of Game Title (where possible, won't work for non-ROM-based platforms)

This poll is closed to new votes

I hope it will not loose focus on it core idea being a emulator Frontend launcher and being the best of them all.

i have some other horrible software in mind where the features blown that software up too much. iTunes is one example, or Plex (who wants to add many things now and loose focus on media player for movies and series).

meaning things like Android or raspberry versions. Please be focused on the windows Plattform where all starts for LB/BB

Edited by Chris Kant

I probably should've wrote all of this down..but so far the features I wanna see happen are the likes of:

>Home/Guide Button for Pause Screens

>A Built-In Keymapper for each Game Title to where you no longer have to worry about setting up an App with the Title you Launch or trying to get it to close out when you exit a game properly. This would be good for all PC Games and whatever extra features some may want in their Emulations as well since not all of us are fond of a Mouse & WASD scheme.

>Screenshots to show up when you decide to make videos play as your background in BigBox instead of the Screenshot section disappearing.

>When Importing a game from outside the US you'll now get it's actual Regional name instead of its United States version name. To keep aware of the franchise a Regional title belongs to it will be bundled together in the "Series" section.

>No more conflicting Artwork for Regional titles, especially if it's a Fanart Cover or anything else like that to where you no longer get annoyed seeing an American Fan Cover appearing in your Japanese or European game title of it that never goes away unless you manually go in to the actual folder and Delete it.

>Artwork will no longer mix newer game art with older game titles & etc such as Mortal Kombat 9 logos and art found when you Import the original Mortal Kombat of 1992.

>Better Metadata when it comes to Game Titles on a Platform with the same name. This happens so much on things like Commodore and some Arcade games as well.

>Fixing where some Media gets part of a word during Import of a Game Title and ends up giving you a Cinematic of "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" when the title you actually Imported was Arcade Zone's "Legend"

>Something of a way to make playing older Windows games much easier with as close to a simple Import and play as possible without further hassle on compatibility & etc. Maybe like how there's a DOSBox built inside of LaunchBox?

As you can see much of my concern is getting everything to sort itself much easier and display better without having to really do much work..especially for those of whom who are trying LaunchBox/Big Box for the first time and maybe don't know much about it. I know it's gonna take some years where all can just drop in their games in and have all the accurate details and media with all the games they Imported, but it's certainly what I hope for us to get to eventually.

My Wife @Haydee likes to think of BigBox as sort of a Museum, which I love the way she puts it as that because you do in fact get to learn more about the games you mostly enjoy or never really knew much about it enough to where it makes you wanna play if all is accurate in details and media.

2 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

I have to say I am surprised and the almost even split amongst all features. No more than a 3% spread for 90% of them!

This tells me that most of the big and obvious features are done so now we are into the smaller and less required ones.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:06 AM, mcfilmmakers said:

I have to say I am surprised and the almost even split amongst all features. No more than a 3% spread for 90% of them!

The way the results are displayed above are misleading, because they are displayed in relation to each other, instead of relation to the number of users that voted for that particular feature. For this use case, that would make much more sense. If you look at the number of users who voted on certain features on the right though, you can see that there are some major differences between items. The #1 item has received 1,062 votes, which is 62% of the users who voted, while the last item only received 173 votes, which is around 10%.

I'll be closing the poll very shortly and then posting the final results; I'll include that information. :)

• Like 1

The poll is closed! The results are below. I posted them on the first page of this topic as well.

#   Item User Votes Percentage of Users Who Voted
1   Xbox Controller and PS4 Controller Home Button Support 1,062 62.54%
2   Icons for Types of Controls (Keyboard/Mouse, PS4/Xbox Controller, Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc.) 746 43.93%
3   Backup and Restore Options for Data and Settings 687 40.46%
4   Video Clip Grabber for Missing Videos 608 35.81%
5   Indicator/Icon for Games with Multiple Versions Available 594 34.98%
6   Filter to Games with Missing Media 590 34.75%
7   Retro Achievements Gamer Score, Profile, and Leaderboards 567 33.39%
8   Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox 544 32.04%
9   New Paid Android Version (Select Games on the Desktop, Export to Android) 539 31.74%
10   Visual icon/indicator for Broken Games 535 31.51%
11   Media Cleanup Overhaul - Review/Change Items, Move to Folder or Delete 525 30.92%
12   Option to Manually Check for Updates 524 30.86%
13   Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores 499 29.39%
14   Bulk Edit Platform and Move Media to Proper Folders 497 29.27%
15   Big Box Theme-Specific Settings (Save and Restore Settings for Each Theme) 474 27.92%
16   Automatic Multi-Disc Playlist Creation for Retroarch 470 27.68%
17   Integrated Retroarch Netplay Lobby Browser 458 26.97%
18   Big Box Wall View Overhaul 451 26.56%
19   Option to Force Update Games Database Metadata 446 26.27%
20   Auditing Overhaul - Add Missing Fields and Allow Full-Library Audits 434 25.56%
21   Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list) 433 25.50%
22   Marquee Video Support, Customization Options for Placement and Image Types 422 24.85%
23   Steam Achievements in Details like Retro Achievements 422 24.85%
24   New Document Fields for Hintbooks, Cheats, and Maps 417 24.56%
25   Game Screenshot Grabber 410 24.15%
26   Proper Support for MAME Software Lists 392 23.09%
27   API importer for GOG 387 22.79%
28   Previous and Next Buttons in LaunchBox Edit Window 365 21.50%
29   Platform-specific Zoom and Aspect Ratios for LaunchBox 332 19.55%
30   Per-Game AutoHotkey Script Support 329 19.38%
31   Display Platform/Playlist/Category Information in the LaunchBox Game Details Sidebar when No Game is Selected 327 19.26%
32   Amiga WHD Name Conversion (Like MAME) 325 19.14%
33   Bulk Edit Additional Apps 294 17.31%
34   Allow Launch With for Additional Apps/Versions 282 16.61%
35   Big Box Parental Restrictions (Use Pin Code to Hide Games with Certain Ratings) 251 14.78%
36   Proper Support for Year-Only Release Dates 250 14.72%
37   Option to Name Media via ROM File Name instead of Game Title (where possible, won't work for non-ROM-based platforms) 235 13.84%
38   Disable Certain Controllers (such as Flight Sticks), Multiple Controllers with Different Bindings 222 13.07%
39   Option to Reverse Sort Order in LaunchBox 217 12.78%
40   Parsec Integration 173 10.19%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The poll is closed! The results are below. I posted them on the first page of this topic as well.

#   Item User Votes Percentage of Users Who Voted
1   Xbox Controller and PS4 Controller Home Button Support 1,062 62.54%
2   Icons for Types of Controls (Keyboard/Mouse, PS4/Xbox Controller, Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc.) 746 43.93%
3   Backup and Restore Options for Data and Settings 687 40.46%
4   Video Clip Grabber for Missing Videos 608 35.81%
5   Indicator/Icon for Games with Multiple Versions Available 594 34.98%
6   Filter to Games with Missing Media 590 34.75%
7   Retro Achievements Gamer Score, Profile, and Leaderboards 567 33.39%
8   Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox 544 32.04%
9   New Paid Android Version (Select Games on the Desktop, Export to Android) 539 31.74%
10   Visual icon/indicator for Broken Games 535 31.51%
11   Media Cleanup Overhaul - Review/Change Items, Move to Folder or Delete 525 30.92%
12   Option to Manually Check for Updates 524 30.86%
13   Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores 499 29.39%
14   Bulk Edit Platform and Move Media to Proper Folders 497 29.27%
15   Big Box Theme-Specific Settings (Save and Restore Settings for Each Theme) 474 27.92%
16   Automatic Multi-Disc Playlist Creation for Retroarch 470 27.68%
17   Integrated Retroarch Netplay Lobby Browser 458 26.97%
18   Big Box Wall View Overhaul 451 26.56%
19   Option to Force Update Games Database Metadata 446 26.27%
20   Auditing Overhaul - Add Missing Fields and Allow Full-Library Audits 434 25.56%
21   Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list) 433 25.50%
22   Marquee Video Support, Customization Options for Placement and Image Types 422 24.85%
23   Steam Achievements in Details like Retro Achievements 422 24.85%
24   New Document Fields for Hintbooks, Cheats, and Maps 417 24.56%
25   Game Screenshot Grabber 410 24.15%
26   Proper Support for MAME Software Lists 392 23.09%
27   API importer for GOG 387 22.79%
28   Previous and Next Buttons in LaunchBox Edit Window 365 21.50%
29   Platform-specific Zoom and Aspect Ratios for LaunchBox 332 19.55%
30   Per-Game AutoHotkey Script Support 329 19.38%
31   Display Platform/Playlist/Category Information in the LaunchBox Game Details Sidebar when No Game is Selected 327 19.26%
32   Amiga WHD Name Conversion (Like MAME) 325 19.14%
33   Bulk Edit Additional Apps 294 17.31%
34   Allow Launch With for Additional Apps/Versions 282 16.61%
35   Big Box Parental Restrictions (Use Pin Code to Hide Games with Certain Ratings) 251 14.78%
36   Proper Support for Year-Only Release Dates 250 14.72%
37   Option to Name Media via ROM File Name instead of Game Title (where possible, won't work for non-ROM-based platforms) 235 13.84%
38   Disable Certain Controllers (such as Flight Sticks), Multiple Controllers with Different Bindings 222 13.07%
39   Option to Reverse Sort Order in LaunchBox 217 12.78%
40   Parsec Integration 173 10.19%

So what does this mean in regards to the features that you plan to implement?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bbweiners said:

So what does this mean in regards to the features that you plan to implement?

The top half (#1-20) are planned to be tackled before the next poll. The only way they won't be is if I run into some kind of problem that makes it not feasible, but that's unlikely. Some of the bottom half I will likely tackle as well, but they're not guaranteed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Detran said:

just a Bigbox VR interface, I didn't have anything specific in mind, there are a couple ways to go about it.

This is a really neat project created by @Echoshard1:

Back when this came out, I was really excited about it and wanted to head more in the direction of VR, but honestly the community wasn't really all that into it, so we didn't end up taking that direction any further.

There are already VR apps out there that allow you to play any pc game, including BigBox, on a virtual big screen and in several environments... "Virtual Desktop" and "Bigscreen VR" are a couple of really good ones. 

On the other hand, there are VR front ends out there already for a virtual arcade called "New Retro Arcade: Neon" and one that lets you play console games in an 80s or 90s style bedroom called "EmuVR".

Maybe a new iteration of LB & BB called VirtualBox or something like that can combine both a virtual arcade and console play setup in the future... But that sounds like a big job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

The top half (#1-20) are planned to be tackled before the next poll. The only way they won't be is if I run into some kind of problem that makes it not feasible, but that's unlikely. Some of the bottom half I will likely tackle as well, but they're not guaranteed.

Yesss!! My favourite "Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores" is in the Top 20!! Thanks to everyone who voted for it.

And a massive thanks to Jason for making it happen!

Just look after yourself @Jason Carr - don't take any unnecessary risks - try and stay away from busy roads and high places - if possible don't leave the house at all - you carry my dreams in your pockets - (thank you!) :-) :-) :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

will these the potential features for Launchbox / BIgBox X aka 10?

11 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

Yesss!! My favourite "Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores" is in the Top 20!! Thanks to everyone who voted for it.

And a massive thanks to Jason for making it happen!

Just look after yourself @Jason Carr - don't take any unnecessary risks - try and stay away from busy roads and high places - if possible don't leave the house at all - you carry my dreams in your pockets - (thank you!) ? ? ?

It's been like ten years since I jumped out of a plane; I'm waiting to take my son when he gets old enough.

9 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Aaaand marquee support missed out again by only a couple places. Missed the cut this time by 14 votes. ??

To be honest, I will probably eventually improve the marquees regardless, at least once I finally get my own marquee screen in place on my cab.

• Like 3