LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll

Jason Carr

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll  

1,698 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

• New Paid Android Version (Select Games on the Desktop, Export to Android)
    • Platform-specific Zoom and Aspect Ratios for LaunchBox
    • Marquee Video Support, Customization Options for Placement and Image Types
    • Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox
    • Integrated Retroarch Netplay Lobby Browser
    • Display Platform/Playlist/Category Information in the LaunchBox Game Details Sidebar when No Game is Selected
    • Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list)
    • Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores
    • Disable Certain Controllers (such as Flight Sticks), Multiple Controllers with Different Bindings
    • Bulk Edit Additional Apps
    • Per-Game AutoHotkey Script Support
    • Previous and Next Buttons in LaunchBox Edit Window
    • Automatic Multi-Disc Playlist Creation for Retroarch
    • Backup and Restore Options for Data and Settings
    • Big Box Wall View Overhaul
    • Game Screenshot Grabber
    • Big Box Theme-Specific Settings (Save and Restore Settings for Each Theme)
    • Indicator/Icon for Games with Multiple Versions Available
    • Bulk Edit Platform and Move Media to Proper Folders
    • Option to Reverse Sort Order in LaunchBox
  2. 2. Round 2 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

• Amiga WHD Name Conversion (Like MAME)
    • Icons for Types of Controls (Keyboard/Mouse, PS4/Xbox Controller, Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc.)
    • API importer for GOG
    • Option to Force Update Games Database Metadata
    • Option to Manually Check for Updates
    • Retro Achievements Gamer Score, Profile, and Leaderboards
    • Proper Support for Year-Only Release Dates
    • Auditing Overhaul - Add Missing Fields and Allow Full-Library Audits
    • Parsec Integration
    • Allow Launch With for Additional Apps/Versions
    • Media Cleanup Overhaul - Review/Change Items, Move to Folder or Delete
    • Xbox Controller and PS4 Controller Home Button Support
    • New Document Fields for Hintbooks, Cheats, and Maps
    • Video Clip Grabber for Missing Videos
    • Steam Achievements in Details like Retro Achievements
    • Visual icon/indicator for Broken Games
    • Filter to Games with Missing Media
    • Proper Support for MAME Software Lists
    • Big Box Parental Restrictions (Use Pin Code to Hide Games with Certain Ratings)
    • Option to Name Media via ROM File Name instead of Game Title (where possible, won't work for non-ROM-based platforms)

This poll is closed to new votes

On 7/15/2019 at 1:43 PM, Jason Carr said:

All very interesting. I can say for certain that the Android version would be a single "forever license" purchase, and it would certainly be cheaper than $12 as well.

What I like about Retrox is the ability to play games stored in the cloud. It would be cool if you can add Retrox compatibility on Launchbox so you can view and exacute games stored from the cloud through launchbox even on windows say via Nox or Bluestacks.

If I am not mistaken you can run launchbox via removable storage and or cloud storage, but I havent seen anything about playing a game thats stored on the cloud. If there is a way please do share btw, that would be a great help for me. It would help significantly with storage issues for gpd and other form factor owners.

I also looked into it, being that I got the paid version a while ago. All previously established paid versions will be honored indefinitely, its just new Retrox users that will have to pay more for premium features. I dont think new prices have been established yet either.

Possibility to see in launchbox/bigbox the library from Origin, Uplay, GOG and Epic Games like we import from Steam, without the needs to have the game installed. Current GOG functionality need the game to be installed.

Thanks for the excellent work!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 7:26 PM, D_argo1 said:

What I like about Retrox is the ability to play games stored in the cloud. It would be cool if you can add Retrox compatibility on Launchbox so you can view and exacute games stored from the cloud through launchbox even on windows say via Nox or Bluestacks.

If I am not mistaken you can run launchbox via removable storage and or cloud storage, but I havent seen anything about playing a game thats stored on the cloud. If there is a way please do share btw, that would be a great help for me. It would help significantly with storage issues for gpd and other form factor owners.

I also looked into it, being that I got the paid version a while ago. All previously established paid versions will be honored indefinitely, its just new Retrox users that will have to pay more for premium features. I dont think new prices have been established yet either.

Playing ROMs from the cloud would be on very shaky legal grounds, so unfortunately I don't think we'll ever go in that direction. Also, I was headed that way back when we originally build the LaunchBox Games Database, but I learned that most people were not very interested in a cloud-based solution (which surprised me at the time).

On 8/5/2019 at 1:48 PM, GSaloun said:

Possibility to see in launchbox/bigbox the library from Origin, Uplay, GOG and Epic Games like we import from Steam, without the needs to have the game installed. Current GOG functionality need the game to be installed.

Thanks for the excellent work!

Noted, though I did make an attempt to get these on the poll, and they didn't get much excitement in the live stream. We'll get them in there eventually though.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, Pixel said:

@Jason Carr What is the Android version for? Its purpose? I mean, the main LB purpose (for me) is to launch games from all different platforms with different emulators in one place (app). And now, I wonder why would I (or others who wanted/voted for it) would need an Android version? I won't be able to run Steam/Windows games on Android, for instance. But will this integrate with other Android emulators? Retroarch etc.? And will I be able to sync it with my desktop version of LB or at least import a playlist into Android (with all data and images etc.)? Thanks for your answer @Jason Carr:) A sync option (with an option what to sync to Android) would definately make me buy the Android version, though. Also, compatibility with other retro emulators on Android. However, I do not know how much work (and time) is that to achieve it?

The only good thing about it (for me, personally) would be the ability to look through my favourite playlists and games when I am not at home. When I travel, for instance. Why? Because I am a PC player, like most people who love good quality games, and I am not a lover of mobile gaming on a touch screen, which I consider to be terrible (touch controllers, very small screen etc), except for games that are especially designed for such gameplay, fun etc.

Is there any discussion on the forums here that would try to  answer those questions? Votes, yes. But why? Well, that's my mind on this.

Maybe no discussion is needed. Just one sensible answer to the question.

The first Android beta will be out in the next few days; I'm just waiting on Google to approve it, so all these questions will be answered. For the moment, though, forgive me, but I'd rather focus on dev than provide elaborate answers here.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2019 at 7:48 AM, Pixel said:

@Jason Carr What is the Android version for? Its purpose? I mean, the main LB purpose (for me) is to launch games from all different platforms with different emulators in one place (app). And now, I wonder why would I (or others who wanted/voted for it) would need an Android version? I won't be able to run Steam/Windows games on Android, for instance. But will this integrate with other Android emulators? Retroarch etc.? And will I be able to sync it with my desktop version of LB or at least import a playlist into Android (with all data and images etc.)? Thanks for your answer @Jason Carr:) A sync option (with an option what to sync to Android) would definately make me buy the Android version, though. Also, compatibility with other retro emulators on Android. However, I do not know how much work (and time) is that to achieve it?

The only good thing about it (for me, personally) would be the ability to look through my favourite playlists and games when I am not at home. When I travel, for instance. Why? Because I am a PC player, like most people who love good quality games, and I am not a lover of mobile gaming on a touch screen, which I consider to be terrible (touch controllers, very small screen etc), except for games that are especially designed for such gameplay, fun etc.

Is there any discussion on the forums here that would try to  answer those questions? Votes, yes. But why? Well, that's my mind on this.

Maybe no discussion is needed. Just one sensible answer to the question.

Personally I will love being able to fire up Launchbox on my Shield for emulating 16bit consoles and such.

Using my gaming PC for playing Snes really feels like a unnecessary electric eater at times. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 5:43 AM, Kondorito said:

Hey @RULLUR and @damageinc86, I use joy2key for MAME and some PC games as an additional app with a simple script that kills joy2key when the game is closed (so there is no conflict with key assignation with other games/emus once MAME or the specific games are closed).

I also use a very lightweight utility called "devreorder" (https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder), that let's me choose the order of all the controllers I have plugged in (or will be plugging), as well as hiding specific ones (i.e. for when a game is not compatible with controller 1 and needs to use 2 as the main one). This can be done for one game, one folder, or the whole system.

Let me know if the above might be of help for your setups and/or need any help with it, and I will share what I have configured.

I tried devreorder, but it didn't do anything.  I noticed in the notes it was meant for older games that need that,...but what about newer games that don't understand where your xbox360 controllers are plugged into, because you have so many other controllers plugged in as well?  Ex. mother russia bleeds will not notice i have those, even with devreorder, and broforce things my first two controllers are from my gamecube controller mayflash adapter.

Edited by damageinc86

1 hour ago, damageinc86 said:

I tried devreorder, but it didn't do anything.  I noticed in the notes it was meant for older games that need that,...but what about newer games that don't understand where your xbox360 controllers are plugged into, because you have so many other controllers plugged in as well?  Ex. mother russia bleeds will not notice i have those, even with devreorder, and broforce things my first two controllers are from my gamecube controller mayflash adapter.

Did you place the dinput8.dll file (32 or 64 depending on your system) as well as the devreorder.ini in the same folder as the main exe of the game? Remember that each controller in Windows has a unique GUID, so it does not matter how many controllers you have plugged in, if you tell devreorder in the devreorder.ini which controllers you want to use and in which order, and which ones you want to leave hidden so the game does not even mess around with those, it all should be fine.

I believe the devreorder tool has inside the zip a program that lets you know what are the GUIDs of all your connected controllers, so you can place them in either the [order] or the [hidden] sections in the ini, but do not let any controller out of the list just to be sure.

17 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Did you place the dinput8.dll file (32 or 64 depending on your system) as well as the devreorder.ini in the same folder as the main exe of the game? Remember that each controller in Windows has a unique GUID, so it does not matter how many controllers you have plugged in, if you tell devreorder in the devreorder.ini which controllers you want to use and in which order, and which ones you want to leave hidden so the game does not even mess around with those, it all should be fine.

I believe the devreorder tool has inside the zip a program that lets you know what are the GUIDs of all your connected controllers, so you can place them in either the [order] or the [hidden] sections in the ini, but do not let any controller out of the list just to be sure.

Yup i did all of that, and edited the .ini   Nothing changed on those games.  Oh well.

23 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Don't know what to tell you. Sorry man :S

Devreorder wasn't consistent for me until I installed it system wide.

You also have to be careful to get the right DLLs installed when on x64 and the permissions correct.

x64/dinput8.dll -> C:\Windows\System32
x86/dinput.dll -> C:\Windows\sysWOW64

Edit: Remember this only works on Xinput devices if the application is accessing them in Dinput mode, not Xinput.

Also, if the application uses the COM interface for using Dinput, only the system wide method will work.

Edited by Headrush69
More info.

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Is that what became "badges"?

Not real sure what you're referring to with badges...? The icon labeling system I mentioned is the ability to add different small icons visible over specific games that you can choose to identify things such as multiple discs, multiple versions, broken, hidden, controller type, # of players... stuff like that. That's probably my most anticipated future feature.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't guess there's currently any way to create a dynamic playlist for arcade "High Scores" or, for games that support it, "Retroachievements"? I'm not seeing any real way that LaunchBox can identify these features to create rules for a playlist, and can't really think of a work around... other than individually sorting through games and manually adding them or creating a custom field. But I'm starting to see a real benefit of wanting to know which games support these 2 features other than going through a huge collection and selecting one by one.

Edit: I should probably clarify for the High Score Leaderboards... I would like to be able to identify the arcade games that actually have active high scores set within the community.

Edited by PanteraZombie