LaunchBox Community Forums

10.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Currently there isn't. But yes, you could just modify the XAML. Depending on feedback I might take the time to provide an option for that. With all the translucency though, I find that the normal fanart backgrounds don't look all that great and make it difficult to see (though I felt the same about the old theme somewhat).

I like the translucency idea too. I think people would like to be able to slide on how the background will look. Maybe even something of a filter such as scanlines and all?

Is there a problem with the Games Missing Media filter right now?

I have about 20 systems across Arcade, Console, and Computer categories. When I run the Missing Media tool, I'm only returning hits from the first platform in my list (in my case Arcade).

For example, my Commodore Amiga games don't have any 3D boxes yet. When I run the tool to show missing 3D boxes, I get no hits on Amiga games (only arcade).

EDIT: I'm on the newest beta, 10.8 beta 1

Edited by GreenGriffon

8 minutes ago, GreenGriffon said:

Is there a problem with the Games Missing Media filter right now?

I have about 20 systems across Arcade, Console, and Computer categories. When I run the Missing Media tool, I'm only returning hits from the first platform in my list (in my case Arcade).

For example, my Commodore Amiga games don't have any 3D boxes yet. When I run the tool to show missing 3D boxes, I get no hits on Amiga games (only arcade).

EDIT: I'm on the newest beta, 10.8 beta 1

Important to note that the filter uses image groups, not types. To best see what I am talking about open LaunchBox. Go to Tools -> Options. Go to Legacy tab (should be there when you open the options). In the middle section find Images/3D Box Priorities. Click on that option and you will see a list of image TYPES for the 3D Box GROUP. If your game has ANY image of those types it will NOT appear in the 3D Box Missing filter.

2 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Important to note that the filter uses image groups, not types. To best see what I am talking about open LaunchBox. Go to Tools -> Options. Go to Legacy tab (should be there when you open the options). In the middle section find Images/3D Box Priorities. Click on that option and you will see a list of image TYPES for the 3D Box GROUP. If your game has ANY image of those types it will NOT appear in the 3D Box Missing filter.

Oh, interesting. Thank you.

So in order for me to actually know if I have any missing 3D boxes, I would need to remove even "Box - Front" from the image priorities?

Sort of wondering if this tool could be more effective by specifically targeting the indicated media type (i.e. 3D boxes, instead of anything in the group).

now if we could only get the awesome new sharp edged/rounded cornered images but while retaining the displaying of font ?

some platforms are gonna make it a bit harder to find games and if box art is missing you dont know what the game is till you click on it.

overall, awesome though.   Thanks for all the hard work ❤️

17 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

now if we could only get the awesome new sharp edged/rounded cornered images but while retaining the displaying of font ?

I have to agree here. While this certainly looks nice and clean, it's not practical to hide the game title.

Just think of the users who have lots of international titles, like the Cave shooters with their covers written in Japanese. It's hard to know what you're seeing at a glance unless you somehow have thousands of game boxes committed to memory.

I hope this changes, because otherwise I like the new direction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

games with no box art display text or at least should as to how I understand it

I'm talking about what your collection now looks like in the new version of LB (with box art).

There's no game title displayed, only the boxart. I see that as a major problem. The idea is to make LB easier to manage your collection, not harder.

Edited by GreenGriffon

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Per the text, I can easily add in a setting to always show the black text box on the bottom of the artwork (instead of only when it's selected), so I'll probably do that before release. The other option though is to just press control+A for select all.

Having the option to have the game title text always enabled would be appreciated, Jason.

However, the game text covers now part of the box rather than being underneath. In my opinion, the way the titles were displayed previously was better.

Edited by GreenGriffon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GreenGriffon said:

...If you can't, then you can see why this is not an enhancement. This is a step backward in usability.

I do not think it is that bad it has to be called a step backwards. After all this is a beta. It is for users to test new things for the devs and provide constructive feedback. I do agree and prefer the name showing. But it is not that disastrous that the new look is a "step backwards".

Also for the blur if you do not like it just copy the default theme and rename it anything you want than edit the background view xaml and remove the blur or reduce its radius. I agree with Jason though. Without it, it is just too busy. Thankfully Jason made LB theme-able like BigBox. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 1.56.25 PM.png