LaunchBox Community Forums

Happy 10th Anniversary to Launchbox!

denmiclaw

Yeah I only got to catch about an hour of it.  But it was really cool how open, honest, and forthcoming Jason was with his thought-processes going through this journey.  Kudos to @Jason Carr for taking the time to connect with the community and celebrate the 10 year anniversary like this.  It was super cool!  Can we donate to Launchbox development in some other way than just purchasing licenses? I honestly feel like I'm getting too much value from this product in relation to all the hard work that's been done to create it lol.  And I don't say that very often! Here's to another great 10 years! 

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thank you guys! We definitely don't want donation money at this point because this is a business and we're doing fine. That said, it would definitely be a blessing to us if you would donate to an anti-child trafficking charity!

This is a good one: https://ourrescue.org/

Also this one: https://projectrescue.com/

Thanks again guys. Blessings.

That's a great idea.  I just saw sound of freedom and couldn't believe my eyes/ears.  Definitely needs more mainstream attention.

• Like 1

I can't believe it's been 10 years. Not sure what my initial build was, but the earliest installer backup I have is LaunchBox-3.2-Setup.exe, download dated 19/07/2014. It was only 11.6 MB!
Congratulations @Jason Carr and your team and here's looking forward to the next decade.

• Like 1

Jason that stream was a real success and a pleasure to watch. I've had so much fun with LaunchBox. I loved hearing about all the weird stuff I never knew about. There is nothing else out there like LB with the constant updates and it's own database etc. What an accomplishment. The updates keep getting better and better and we greatly appreciate those many long hours the team puts in. Can't wait to see where it goes from here. Also big Shoutout to @y2guru for the theme creator as it's been one of the main reasons I've gotten way more into contributing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I liked it a lot: a lot of crispy anecdotes sometimes a little eccentric but I think that's what makes the salt of this kind of meeting: it's spontaneity :)
I stayed on my ass for your anecdote on chris shaw because I too had to deal with him (fortunately the hyperspin guys warned me)
Once again and as I have already said I find that on the other hand it sad not to have thought of the other contributors
  and you forgot some big ones and a little too many that deserved at least one screen in the credits just to say thank you...

Just to say: " hey guys thank you and glad you're on board!"

I think a lot of people must have felt a little aggrieved
Just like that before thinking of me /It's the first name that comes to mind

@Robin55 who went away...
@y2guru (unless I missed the passage where you're talking about him but I don't think so) who is behind a huge amount of production here and who continues to support your software; through the community creator and patreon.
@Rincevent for the truth/the wall/pyramids...And many others custom big box !
@Survivant does a monstrous job on video themes
@Dan Patrick who did huge things
@La papaye who is very prolific on the custom big box part and who does a lot of interesting things

And .. I want to say but where is James Bakers!?
I know you didn't leave on good terms, but he continues to feed almost all the big box launch themes today, AND he's still really present on your servers.. I don't know.. That deserved at least just a thank you because For me it has largely contributed to your success as well.
I'm even surprised that you didn't talk about it during the live... It was the first years

And I forgot a lot!

10 years is quite a step and it would have taken you 10 minutes to copy and paste twenty names with a thank you for your contributions on PS with a small launchbox logo:

once again it's nothing but it would have pleased a lot of people world ...

Make a screenshot of it and post it everywhere! It's a shame that no one in the team thought about it...

Well, I'm saying that, I'm not saying anything:

We love you all the same
and nothing to make (another) drama out of it ^^

ONCE AGAIN I continue to love your frontend and to develop on it I find that you are doing a wonderful job /  I continue to support you, invent, create and praise the merits of your frontend here in France where you are largely unknown.

Here is for my part what I produced in barely 2 years (and I have been producing for 7 years) and there it is just on "the collection part"

and yet I did not even have a wink ;)

maybe one days ! I don't hope

(I think that would have deserved) 😛

If I don't give you at least 2 or 3 chills with this extract, It's that you're not a real gamer ^^

Edited by PaDeMoNiuM

1 hour ago, PaDeMoNiuM said:

I liked it a lot: a lot of crispy anecdotes sometimes a little eccentric but I think that's what makes the salt of this kind of meeting: it's spontaneity :)
I stayed on my ass for your anecdote on chris shaw because I too had to deal with him (fortunately the hyperspin guys warned me)
Once again and as I have already said I find that on the other hand it sad not to have thought of the other contributors
  and you forgot some big ones and a little too many that deserved at least one screen in the credits just to say thank you...

Just to say: " hey guys thank you and glad you're on board!"

I think a lot of people must have felt a little aggrieved
Just like that before thinking of me /It's the first name that comes to mind

@Robin55 who went away...
@y2guru (unless I missed the passage where you're talking about him but I don't think so) who is behind a huge amount of production here and who continues to support your software; through the community creator and patreon.
@Rincevent for the truth/the wall/pyramids...And many others custom big box !
@Survivant does a monstrous job on video themes
@Dan Patrick who did huge things
@La papaye who is very prolific on the custom big box part and who does a lot of interesting things

And .. I want to say but where is James Bakers!?
I know you didn't leave on good terms, but he continues to feed almost all the big box launch themes today, AND he's still really present on your servers.. I don't know.. That deserved at least just a thank you because For me it has largely contributed to your success as well.
I'm even surprised that you didn't talk about it during the live... It was the first years

And I forgot a lot!

10 years is quite a step and it would have taken you 10 minutes to copy and paste twenty names with a thank you for your contributions on PS with a small launchbox logo:

once again it's nothing but it would have pleased a lot of people world ...

Make a screenshot of it and post it everywhere! It's a shame that no one in the team thought about it...

Well, I'm saying that, I'm not saying anything:

We love you all the same
and nothing to make (another) drama out of it ^^

ONCE AGAIN I continue to love your frontend and to develop on it I find that you are doing a wonderful job /  I continue to support you, invent, create and praise the merits of your frontend here in France where you are largely unknown.

Here is for my part what I produced in barely 2 years (and I have been producing for 7 years) and there it is just on "the collection part"

and yet I did not even have a wink ;)

maybe one days ! I don't hope

(I think that would have deserved) 😛

If I don't give you at least 2 or 3 chills with this extract, It's that you're not a real gamer ^^

You left out a lot people that are very active or have been active in this community and beyond. And thats where the problem lies, if Jason and team had to research what each and everyone contributed to this community the list would be endless and the stream would be endless and if you would only mention the people you have mentioned you would have left out more people and the issue would be endless. That being said, I am disabled since 1999. I have learned myself about every creative thing you can do on a pc and have managed to do some things semi professional and learned during that time never to take your work personal, in the editing field you learn to "kill your darlings", yes thats a hard lesson. Even more, since I worked in the creative field in online communities since 1999 I gradually learned to let go of my ego, since I know how it feels when people steal your work, claim it as their own and even sell yor work. You'll reach a point at one time where you realize the only thing that matters is you should be doing what you love and where your talent lies, if you can't do that there is only one path and that is frustration. I am very grateful that Jason and his team give us the platform to do what we love, I can honestly say it gives a lot of meaning to my life and I don't need any acknowledgement in return even though I make 2 to 8 hours a day working on projects, and saying that I can safely conclude for myself this is what a community should be about. If it's fame (ego) and money you seek I think there are other places to look. Letting go of your ego is one of the best things you can learn in life.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

You left out a lot people that are very active or have been active in this community and beyond. And thats where the problem lies, if Jason and team had to research what each and everyone contributed to this community the list would be endless and the stream would be endless and if you would only mention the people you have mentioned you would have left out more people and the issue would be endless. That being said, I am disabled since 1999. I have learned myself about every creative thing you can do on a pc and have managed to do some things semi professional and learned during that time never to take your work personal, in the editing field you learn to "kill your darlings", yes thats a hard lesson. Even more, since I worked in the creative field in online communities since 1999 I gradually learned to let go of my ego, since I know how it feels when people steal your work, claim it as their own and even sell yor work. You'll reach a point at one time where you realize the only thing that matters is you should be doing what you love and where your talent lies, if you can't do that there is only one path and that is frustration. I am very grateful that Jason and his team give us the platform to do what we love, I can honestly say it gives a lot of meaning to my life and I don't need any acknowledgement in return even though I make 2 to 8 hours a day working on projects, and saying that I can safely conclude for myself this is what a community should be about. If it's fame (ego) and money you seek I think there are other places to look. Letting go of your ego is one of the best things you can learn in life.

be careful, take out the popcorn, it's drama time ^^ just kidding

Retro lust I love what you do but I think you're making judgments a little too hasty, something I didn't allow myself to do in the message.

I simply suggested and we can still express our opinion with respect and good humor, that's the most important thing. I'm not judging Jason.

my message was full of good vibrations I listened to his live he thanked everyone out loud but I think that sincerely for the 10 years it would have deserved more organization to live up to the event.

I expected this kind of response people judge and have no idea who is behind the screen... Everything I create I do it with passion from the heart and we have exactly the same way of thinking. .

you see I am also handicapped like you since I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease almost 10 years ago.

and like you I started from scratch: I didn't even know how to create a png...I learned everything on the job and I persevered on my own..

It's not a question of ego at all it has nothing to do with it but when you contribute so much when you give your time your energy that you make sacrifices that you support a project and that you don't 've got no feedback I can't help but think it's unfair...

It's not a question of money either you really have a problem with the patreon..

it's right here that the guys from the forum suggested to create one while I was having all my media plundered...

To follow your reasoning would be to give reason to all the crows who create nothing and who exploit the work of others for profit. ..that would be creative suicide.

Go tell that to @cemfundog, you'd be surprised at his answer.

And was not going to say that I do not share enough it's not true every month I share about 50% of my productions with everybody

and not only here in a lot of community.

see much more in private with the members of the forum via private message.

And you are in a good position to know it... :)

I do not share to feed parallel markets. I spend time creating to embellish the systems of retro gamers and make them reminisce, I can't stand this business. Everything revolves around money, people only think about scratching without giving instead of creating and sharing.

Wealth is not what we have in the bank account, it is human wealth. What we are able to create and share. The creators of wealth are parasitized by all those who live on their backs. And they are ungrateful.

It's like the farmers who feed everyone and get insulted because of the noise of the rooster and the smell of the cows.

This is what killed the artist community on the official hyperspin website. Guys who came asking for themes, who didn't even say thank you and then sold the themes in crap hyperspin confs.

When you ask a youngster what he wants to do later, he's just telling you to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible. I hope things will change very quickly, we won't be able to continue for long with this mentality...

I don't care what people think or might think! anyway I'm staying, you won't make me leave: I still have a lot of things to share, to show and to create! 😛

Edited by PaDeMoNiuM

2 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@Mr. RetroLust I do genuinely regret leaving you out of that stream. But, as you say, it's impossible to cover everyone. Thanks for your understanding and your attempts to stick up for us here.

@PaDeMoNiuM I'm sorry I hadn't yet responded to your PM. I planned to. That said, this conversation is quickly going sour (I can smell it a mile away). So if it doesn't end here, there will be consequences. I've always appreciated your work, but I've already shared why we haven't been able to cover you more. We can continue this via PM when I get back in the office on Monday.

To help lighten the mood and to further highlight the success of LaunchBox: LaunchBox was featured in the August, 2023 Maximum PC magazine article titled "Play Classic Retro Games On Your PC". This is quite the coincidence given that August is the 10th anniversary of LaunchBox! It's as though a higher power is at work... 😊 I'm sure it would be copyright infringement to post the article here but here is the cover for the article.

IMG_0719.thumb.PNG.e95c49de59263b2d8c12af012570f50d.PNG

• Like 5
  • Unusual Gem 1

glad this thread was made since I would've never known it happened. so I just gave it a watch. it was entertaining, thanks for sharing all the stories!

it was on youtube I first heard of LaunchBox. think I was checking out arcade stuff and they kept talking about "frontends" and I had to look that up because I never heard of the term at the time despite doing emulation since the Windows 98 era. when I did start using one it was Hyperspin though, and there were two things that sucked me in over from HS to LB. mainly how easy it was to get media and info setup thanks to the games database. and the other was the impression development is in a continuous improvement mode and things can only get better, contrary to HS which was stagnant at that point.

so, it was all that hard work that gave me the good impression, and it was warranted! here's to another decade of success! cheers! 🍻

• Like 1

I find that the sanction was relatively heavy compared to what was said and the consequences (The semi-banishment / the departure of pad from the forum) while in the end it was a benevolent message

with a joke about "dramas" in reference to the live of jason which was badly interpreted I think.

I've seen much worse on the forum and yet very few take moderation. I think you were a bit strong in my opinion for someone who was very involved on the forum and rather talented,

and who I believe was part of one of your oldest contributors who in my opinion has contributed a lot and still had so much to show i think.Sad that your collaboration ended like this.

We can't agree with everyone, that's kind of what the forums were originally for...

Unfortunately even the forums are in the image of our society. You don't agree: control damaged: we silence you

I believe that we forget too much that it was originally a passion for video games that brought us together.

But it's like that ! everyone goes their own way!

Despite that

happy birthday launchbox!