LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr Did some further testing noticed that it doesn't happen if you have platform video transitions set to fade and only happens when you have platform video transitions set to none.  ps did some further testing only does it with the vlc engine doesn't happen with the wmp engine.

Edited by Maddoc1007

@Britxcdn I had that problem with clicking forward and backward by any chance are you using a usb gamepad, the reason i ask is that i was and am and it was the usb port on my computer it had become loose (possible by pulling in and out the controller and usb devices i had to replace the female usb on the front of my computer because of severe wear once i replaced it the clicking became fine again, i'm just putting it out there as a possibility 

@Jazzphone Are you by any chance using Rocketlauncher with LaunchBox when your background videos are not playing when returning from a game? That problem has been going on with me as well and I have noticed the bug for months now. I don't know how or why but I had to download a fresh copy of RocketLauncher which was not fun to make the problem go away. This is the 2nd time I have had to do this within the last 6 months and have no explanation but it has fixed the issue both times and it seems to only affect background videos not starting back automatically when exiting a game.

@Jason Carr Can you confirm that if background videos start back for you automatically when exiting a game?

Just now, kmoney said:

@Jazzphone Are you by any chance using Rocketlauncher with LaunchBox when your background videos are not playing when returning from a game? That problem has been going on with me as well and I have noticed the bug for months now. I don't know how or why but I had to download a fresh copy of RocketLauncher which was not fun to make the problem go away. This is the 2nd time I have had to do this within the last 6 months and have no explanation but it has fixed the issue both times and it seems to only affect background videos not starting back automatically when exiting a game.

Yes I am using RocketLauncher....interesting.

@Britxcdn Oddly enough i just followed what you just posted and seen a speed increase in BigBox by turning off all music options except navigation sounds and yet i hadn't background music turned on maybe @Jason Carr should find an engine specifically for the music that doesn't rely on the vlc engine which seems to be at the bottom of this maybe too many instances of vlc running?  maybe something like this which is an open source player http://www.jaangle.com/ it hasnt been worked on since 2012 and maybe some of the code could help source code https://sourceforge.net/projects/jaangle/ public licence gplv3

Edited by Maddoc1007

While im not disputing Vlc is good or bad i used to use it extensively but it had many playback problems when i used it, that is why i went to daum potplayer and have never looked back it is more lightweight does not need installed codecs as it comes with its own and also as an added benefit windows media player plays all as well without having to install codecs as well (i do not have any codec packs of any description installed apart from potplayer 20mb and it also uses x input)

Edited by Maddoc1007

Alright guys, new beta is out. I believe I caused a bunch of random issues throughout the app with betas 18, 19, and 20. I added some threading optimizations that got a little bit too overzealous, and since lots of various features make varying use of different threads, it was probably causing some interesting havoc. So take all of your Big Box performance testing with a grain of salt for those previous betas. Beta 21 that I just put out should finally at least bring us back to previous performance levels, and should fix the weird little issues like the wheels not displaying and input taking more than one try or skipping around.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kmoney said:

@Jason Carr Can you confirm that if background videos start back for you automatically when exiting a game?

Yes, background videos do start back up for me fine after exiting games. That said, I don't use Rocket Launcher for most of my systems.

11 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hi @websherpa, I'm confused how that would be different than just scanning for removed and added ROMs. Can you explain?

I don't have much experience with other emulators and perhaps I have imagined the scenario incorrectly, but often when changing versions of the MAME emulator, you need to update the game ROMs at the same time.  But I guess the idea here would be to delete the old ROMs and re-import, I was just wondering if it was worthwhile to test for a file created date to do a merge instead (i.e. keep most recent dates, replace older dates).

Hey Jason, just a little thank you message.
I tested a very old LB version (4.3) and compared the scroll speed with the latest beta.

Its so freaking smooth!!!! Even with my same old and outdated hardware.

Also a question: Is there any problem if i reject the directX installation prompt? Every time I update to a new beta it asks me to install it again so I just keep rejecting them

• Like 1

@Jason Carr Just quick tested the latest beta Wheel are a lot smoother and all wheel logos show straight away, and the video transitions as well when set to fade are a lot smoother no popping, still quickly shows the device when set to none no biggie but i just leave on fade now as better smoother experience overall.  KUDOS on another good quick fast update.