LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

not sure if this a feature request or if it's possible already, can date / time and weather be added to bigbox themes, ie date & time called from system live and weather called from internet live and updated, to be used in htpc type themes

ive added a ticket just incase this isnt available at present

i forgot to mention as DOS76 mentioned above  if i decline the directx install it closes launchbox update, i've not tried on recent builds, but it defiantely did it in the past

Edited by billyc999
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, billyc999 said:

not sure if this a feature request or if it's possible already, can date / time and weather be added to bigbox themes, ie date & time called from system live and weather called from internet live and updated, to be used in htpc type themes

ive added a ticket just incase this isnt available at present

i forgot to mention as DOS76 mentioned above  if i decline the directx install it closes launchbox update, i've not tried on recent builds, but it defiantely did it in the past

Actually, that is a unique request, but I am sure the API is available from Microsoft them selves.

yea im sure ive seen an api mentioned somewhere today, i assume it still needs some c# backend coding to implement

one thing ive notice and im not sure if its been mentioned before, if you have the documentation pdf opend (mine opens in that windows browser...cant remember its name) and try to launch bigbox it causes a crash.

23 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

Trust me, the documentation.pdf issue was reported often enough, but Jason tends to keep to forget to solve it ;)

Haha! I'm wondering how long his "short list" is for features and bug fixes! That bit bucket is more like a bit 55 gallon drum than bucket at this point xD Can't wait to see what he fits in next, I know I have some requests that I hope get implemented one day, but every time I think about it he adds 3 new things I didn't know I needed that make me forget! Super stoked for 7.0 @Jason Carr

• Like 3

Thanks all. New beta is out that drastically reduces startup time for Big Box (and probably also helps performance across the board). We tackled this in the live stream this morning. Startup time for @cammelspit's collection was reduced from somewhere around a minute to about 10 seconds.

This beta should also fix the recently introduced game controller input bugs (lag and/or repeated input). Other various things were fixed as well, including the Documentation.pdf bug (finally). ;)

Per DirectX in the installer, assuming you do indeed already have all the DirectX libraries installed, I think it should be safe to skip it and just ignore the error. That said, I do add new DirectX libraries to it from time to time, so it's always safest just to allow it to run.

• Like 6

Thanks for the great work in the live stream today on performance @Jason Carr. I mentioned an issue I was having with my CPS1 (using RetroArch FBA core) platform where if I booted up a game and exited back to Big Box, the game video would not play and all videos throughout Big Box would be disabled. I could only rectify this by closing and restarting Big Box. You recommended I log a ticket.

Well, I changed the default video player from WMP to VLC and it resolved the issue. WMP didn't like something about those videos, yet the issue would not happen for the same games with the same videos from Emumovies in my arcade platform using MAME. Strange. I think @cammelspit had a similar issue so I guess you could check your default video player and make sure to use VLC.

54 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

We keep having random various issues with WMP but I can't remove it because I'll have a rebellion

I would LOVE to switch to VLC, BUT LB crashes every time I launch a Dreamcast/Demul game (in full screen) ONLY if I have VLC set. In BB it's not an issue, but it always crashes in regular LB. :(

Oh my gosh, I can change views in the games list and it takes less than one second to swap over to the other view. Before it would be upwards of 15-20 seconds. Coming out of options now takes ~5 seconds when it was taking almost a minute! Holy hell is a handbasket this is GREAT! I am finding more and more places where the performance is just plain substantially better! I may not have 15-second start like Jason did during the stream but off my 4TB NAS drive it is still maybe 20 seconds and that LITERALLY an order of magnitude better. How often can we say that BigBox starts ten times faster than it did before? Not often... I did get a crash when I was in the cover flow and hit F2, my key for changing image types. I didn't intend to hit it but it did die. I'll post it here...

@Jason Carr , I love you, man! This is the kind of thing that makes LB my happiest purchase I have ever made.

Version 7.0-beta-22

System.DivideByZeroException: Attempted to divide by zero.

at (FlowControl , Int32 , Game , Boolean )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Controls.CoverFlow.FlowControl.Replace(Int32 index, Game game, Boolean clearLogo)

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Controls.CoverFlow.ThumbnailManager.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<ThumbnailGeneration>b__1()

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.ThreadFactory.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)

at ()

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Controls.CoverFlow.ThumbnailManager.ThumbnailGeneration()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

• Like 2