LaunchBox Community Forums

Zombeaver's PCSX2 Configs / Simple 1-Click Installs With PCSX2 Configurator

Zombeaver

@Rincewind, I think the problem is probably that PCSX2 configurator is not in a sub-folder, inside the plugin directories, and that is partially my fault for not making it clear that it should be. All of the downloaded files should be in a folder called "PCSX2 Configurator" (or similar), inside your Launchbox plugin directory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Zombeaver hope you are well?

I have finally got everything working after some issues, Such an awesome thing to just click one button and have the game configured perfectly! Great job.

I had a question on your choice of config for Yakuza.

The aliasing is quite awful on this game, for example his gun at the start is literally just a jagged mess.

Just wondering why you haven't selected FXAA? 

I turned it on and it seemed to fix it completely with no noticeable performance impact.

This isn't a criticism, just wondering if it maybe impacts games in other ways I haven't seen yet? 

Also with the games that you have turned interlacing on, is that the only way to fix the horrible bobbing (example of this is Onimusha: Warlords) as I really don't like the look of interlacing, but the bobbing is sort of worse so I assume this is a compromise we have to make?

Many thanks,

2 hours ago, WuTangDan said:

I had a question on your choice of config for Yakuza.

The aliasing is quite awful on this game, for example his gun at the start is literally just a jagged mess.

Just wondering why you haven't selected FXAA? 

I turned it on and it seemed to fix it completely with no noticeable performance impact.

This isn't a criticism, just wondering if it maybe impacts games in other ways I haven't seen yet? 

FXAA has the tendency to make things a little too blurry in my opinion. It most assuredly doesn't "completely fix" aliasing. It blurs everything, which makes aliasing slightly less noticeable while making everything blurrier in the process. It's not going to "hurt" anything in the sense that it'll break anything, but I don't think it looks better, personally. Small details, text, that sort of thing, often turns into a blurry mess.

2 hours ago, WuTangDan said:

Also with the games that you have turned interlacing on, is that the only way to fix the horrible bobbing (example of this is Onimusha: Warlords) as I really don't like the look of interlacing, but the bobbing is sort of worse so I assume this is a compromise we have to make?

Pretty much, yeah.

You can change to Blend bff/Blend tff or Auto (which will use one of the Blend modes) which will eliminate jitter, but will make everything blurrier (even during moments that would have no jitter with a Bob setting). Generally the jitter is only present during non-gameplay moments (like a pause screen or something), if at all, if I'm using one of the Bob modes. Some games have no jitter at all even with a Bob mode. The only games where any of this is relevant is ones that have "Bob tff" or "Bob bff" listed under "Interlacing" on the spreadsheet. Anything else is going to either be one of the Blend modes or Auto which will either be Blend or none.

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

FXAA has the tendency to make things a little too blurry in my opinion. It most assuredly doesn't "completely fix" aliasing. It blurs everything, which makes aliasing slightly less noticeable while making everything blurrier in the process. It's not going to "hurt" anything in the sense that it'll break anything, but I don't think it looks better, personally. Small details, text, that sort of thing, often turns into a blurry mess.

Ha, I hear this a lot in the PC community too. People say it's like smearing Vaseline on the screen... I honestly don't think it's that bad so I guess I will just use it. Unless there is a better alternative. I would take blurry over jaggies.

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

Pretty much, yeah.

You can change to Blend bff/Blend tff or Auto (which will use one of the Blend modes) which will eliminate jitter, but will make everything blurrier (even during moments that would have no jitter with a Bob setting). Generally the jitter is only present during non-gameplay moments (like a pause screen or something), if at all, if I'm using one of the Bob modes. Some games have no jitter at all even with a Bob mode. The only games where any of this is relevant is ones that have "Bob tff" or "Bob bff" listed under "Interlacing" on the spreadsheet. Anything else is going to either be one of the Blend modes or Auto which will either be Blend or none.

Fair enough, I sort of assumed that would be the case.

@WuTangDan @Zombeaver I personally think Fast and Approximate Anti Aliasing (FXAA), is great and it is usually my preferred method of Anti Aliasing (AA), although it is not always perfect for all games. It definitely beats no AA in most cases and a performance impact of next to nothing, where something like Multi Sampling Anti Aliasing (MSAA) or a brute force AA Method like Super Sampling Anti Aliasing (SSAA) will often tank a games framerate on less powerful hardware. I also think Temporal Anti Aliasing (TAA) is nice, although obviously not applicable to PS2 games. For most PS2 Games (and other games of that era) I would say upping the resolution with no AA is the way to go, which is essentially super sampling, but some (The Getaway being an example) don't scale up too well and still look kind of rough here is where an FXAA pass can do a very good job of cleaning up otherwise ugly image. I kind of agree it shouldn't be on by default though as it is essentially a shader pass, which is very much down to personal preference.

Edited by alec100_94

I also hate FXAA and would gladly take no aliasing over it.

Oh if you're still doing requests I wouldn't mind the xenosaga series, I did the first two and I remember having to do a lot of fiddling with it especially with 2, and 3 looks no different. On the other hand if you want some "freebies" I think the Ar Tonelico games only require like 1 non default setting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any hope for a fix for Drakengard involving the white lines that appear when using special attacks? The only fix I've found online is to set skipdraw to 30, but this only works for the first couple of levels. Once you get to the aerial stage and onward, the game becomes unplayable with that setting.

Edit: Actually managed to find a better fix. For anyone dealing with those lines, turn on Merge Sprite under HW hacks. It doesn't get rid of the issue entirely, but it makes it almost non-existent.

Edited by SirDhyne

My main games I play on PCSX2 are Resident Evil Outbreak and Outbreak File 2 (Japanese versions since they're both back online as of 2013 via a private server)

Both run excellent, however Outbreak File 1 has been lagging in certain areas for about a year now. I've tried different settings too. It's weird as I've never had this problem before especially considering that File 2 runs perfectly fine. I use OpenGL so I'm gonna try your settings for File 1. I run the latest svn and my specs are

Windows 10 Pro x64

i7 4790k @4.7ghz

32gb ram

SSD (Windows)

These two games are usually my Friday and Saturday night online party games LOL.

hey Gents, a hearty thank you and quick question. Will this also be compatible with Launchbox.next as it appears the normal LB mode will be going away in the next few releases? I noticed that currently it doesn't show up in the .next interface when I load that up, but I haven't played with the new interface much as of yet so it could be buried somewhere I just didn't notice yet.

That would be a question for @alec100_94. The configs themselves still work with Next, but the right-click option doesn't appear to work with it currently. Some other plugins have had some issues with Next as well. I'm sure this is something that can be worked out in time. You'll just need to use normal Launchbox to download/create the configs for the time being.

For an unknown reason the settings I download through the plugin do not write or download even tho it seems to work. I have tested this by randomly choosing settings for a specific game, then restarting Lb, then L Ctrl-click config and download the configs for that game by pressing "y" when prompted. When checking the settings they have not changed form my randomly chosen settings? so, I'm using the Spreadsheet to manual enter game configs through PCSX2, which brings me to the question

On the spreadsheet, some items are in green/red/yellow/. I understand what these mean but not the context. for example, Ace Combat zero the upscaling is listed in red as 3x. does this mean that 3x is broken for this game and 2x or 4x work?

Thanks for your awesome work.

9 hours ago, Nicodemus said:

For an unknown reason the settings I download through the plugin do not write or download even tho it seems to work. I have tested this by randomly choosing settings for a specific game, then restarting Lb, then L Ctrl-click config and download the configs for that game by pressing "y" when prompted. When checking the settings they have not changed form my randomly chosen settings? so, I'm using the Spreadsheet to manual enter game configs through PCSX2, which brings me to the question

You'd have to ask alec. It should work with ctrl+click on configure.

9 hours ago, Nicodemus said:

On the spreadsheet, some items are in green/red/yellow/. I understand what these mean but not the context. for example, Ace Combat zero the upscaling is listed in red as 3x. does this mean that 3x is broken for this game and 2x or 4x work?

No, red text just means it's something different from "normal". 3x is red because 4x is what I use as a baseline. Bob tff or bob bff are red because they're different from auto. MTVU Enabled = Yes is red because it's different from No.

The severity of the issues present with the emulation overall are indicated by the color of the cell to the left of the game title. Green = minor/nonexistent / Yellow = Moderate / Red = Broken (all of which are at the bottom of the list). Notes on specific issues present (if any) are listed in the notes section for each game.