LaunchBox Community Forums

Poll Results

Lordmonkus

Since this gets asked for on a fairly regular basis I thought it would be a good idea to post a link to the latest poll results which shows the features that will get worked on and most likely make it into LB by the next poll.  ***Disclaimer: Some items may not make it due to unforeseen circumstances***

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-V9D22LCH8/

These are the items that made the cut:

Update: As of January 24, 2019, these are the poll items that have yet to be implemented that made the cut:

Big Box Integrated Theme Manager and Downloader - Implemented
Pause Screen with Manuals Support - Implemented
Retro Achievements Further Integration
Control Definitions with Overlays/Icons
Proper Support for Pinball
Custom Default Game Images for Each Platform

After these are implemented, we'll put out a new poll.

• Lordmonkus pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, whoozwah said:

What does "custom default game images per platform" mean? Like to be able to choose between mega drive over Genesis covers, for example?

No, it means if a game doesnt have a image it will show a generic Launchbox one but the same shape and size of the rest of the games so that everything is still the same size and looks more organised rather than just having a grey box when you have no image.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

LaunchBox already uses generic images for some image types, if you select image group and choose backgrounds and a game doesn't have a fanart - background image, it will display a background image located in the platfrom folder. Shouldn't be too complicated to mimic this behavior for other image types.

Edited by Suhrvivor
typo

I don't think what exactly pause menus will entail has been worked out. For bezels I think I recall Jason saying he wasn't interested in hacking something together to work with all emulators but I could be wrong or he could change his mind.

This load and save state in rocketlauncher pause menu is just a ahk command for the emulator you are using. Rocketlauncher build completly on ahk what launchbox not does. I dont have the knowledge if launchbox can this handle too. 

Edited by Isoku

Launchbox/Bigbox can use AHK also just fine, but as stated what the pause menu will actually entail has not been nailed down yet. Jason has stated many times however that bezels will not be a part of it. Of course things could change, but right now bezels are not even being thought about, and to be fair Retroarch and MAME already offer built in support and cover a lot of systems already.

Two things. Even though it is finished now, should startup/shutdown screens be added to the list with a strike through? And second, are instruction cards something that would fit with pause screens, or is it more related to bezels? I wonder if pause is an issue like bezels are in that they would need full screen exclusive mode. I know Rocket Launcher needs emulators that use "bezel normal" mode and instructions can be loaded even with the game playing, not in the pause screens. Though of course, you could put anything you want in a pause screen, even instructions, manuals, etc. I still like the idea of putting instructions on my bezels or hitting a key and having them fly in from the side.

16 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Even though it is finished now, should startup/shutdown screens be added to the list with a strike through?

Are you saying it shouldn't have a trike through it ? If so why not ? It's implemented and in the current release of LB just meaning it's there, nothing more, nothing less.

Startup and shutdown screens were on the list but removed because they are done. I have been removing things from the list as they have been completed for some time and other things are completed.

Theme downloaded will get removed when the next stuff from the list gets added in.

10 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Two things. Even though it is finished now, should startup/shutdown screens be added to the list with a strike through? And second, are instruction cards something that would fit with pause screens, or is it more related to bezels? I wonder if pause is an issue like bezels are in that they would need full screen exclusive mode. I know Rocket Launcher needs emulators that use "bezel normal" mode and instructions can be loaded even with the game playing, not in the pause screens. Though of course, you could put anything you want in a pause screen, even instructions, manuals, etc. I still like the idea of putting instructions on my bezels or hitting a key and having them fly in from the side.

There will be no bezels.

LordMonkus, I get now you have been deleting things. Thanks for the clarification. Neil9000, as of a a month or two ago, bezels weren't ruled out, just unlikely or a very low priority because of the using exclusive full screen mode and Jason thinking it should be an emulator feature, which I don't necessarily agree with, but I do get the complexity concerns.

But I think I made things unclear, I am just wondering where instruction cards fit in, especially ones that can slide in while you are playing a game. I wasn't sure if it suffers the same fate as bezels because it would require windowed mode, or if that feature is on a list somewhere and if so would it be its own feature or part of something else. I know it is separate from pause screens in RL. I use pause for manuals, images and mostly controller layout help. I often wondered if that would be better in an instruction card popup. What do you think?

11 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

LordMonkus, I get now you have been deleting things. Thanks for the clarification.

In hindsight now I probably should have just left everything from the poll in the first post and marked off each one as they were implemented. I will probably do that for the next poll which shouldn't be too far away now that this current list is getting narrowed down pretty good.

• Like 1

Hey all, I have a new email going out with some of this info, but it may take a few days for everyone to get it. Wanted to open up discussion on two of the remaining items from the poll.

First off, controller definitions. On the pause screens we put in a place to display the controller definitions images from EmuMovies for the Arcade platform. These images are available for free from EmuMovies (so you don't need a paid account). For example:

Centipede-01.thumb.png.28d1b27ed3b2c9b06aa4508a21ff037c.pngThey now display on the pause screens with the default pause theme for the Arcade platform. To be honest, I don't know of a better way to do this than to just use images like this. It would be great if images like this were available for other platforms as well, but I think arcade is the important one because it has all of the different games with different controls. Based on this, I'm considering crossing the "Control Definitions" item off the list. I know there are other things we could add, like Big Box navigation icons and such, but those are so theme-specific that it's probably best to leave up to the theme developers anyways. Thoughts?

The other one to discuss is "Retro Achievements Further Integration". I added the retro achievements list to the pause screens, so you can now view your achievements while the games are running, which technically does cover the item from the poll. There are other things we could do, such as leaderboards and such, but honestly I'm fairly doubtful that there would be much interest in those types of features. I know that the #1 thing that people want is live achievement popups (in the game as you get the achievements), but there are a number of hurdles in the way there that pretty much make that impossible, including a lack of features with the Retro Achievements API. So considering all of that, I'm also considering crossing off the retro achievements item as well. Thoughts?

What I do plan to tackle next are "Custom Default Game Images for Each Platform" and "Proper Support for Pinball", which hopefully will both make it into the next official release. I'm trying to push things forward here, because I believe there are some great items that we can put on the next poll that would probably be more popular than some of these remaining items to tackle. That said, if you have suggestions on either of these two items (or the other two that I'm looking to cross off), I'd love to hear them. :)

• Like 1

As far as Retro achievements, for me, not a lot of interest in it.  I can see them in the RA menu and in BB and LB.  Since RA gives you a message on achieving, i am not sure what else people would want.

I would love to see custom images per platform.  Something like Rocket Launcher (sorry) if at all possible.  If LB/BB doesn't see a game specific image, you can have a default platform image to fall back on.  This would allow people to set up either say a default controller with general system controls or go game with a game specific one.  Being able to see these in the pause menu would be nice.  Would be nicer if we had a controller image options for consoles/handhelds/pinball similar to the Arcade controls.

• Like 1

@Jason Carr thanks a lot for the info on the latest updates and the recent addition of the pause screens has made Launchbox/Bigbox even better, although it's already been pretty darn good for a long, long while now :) Really looking forward to the custom default images, as it's been on my personal request list for quite some time. Just wondering (and hoping), will this apply to boxart also?

Edited by bundangdon
  • Like 1

@Jason Carr RetroAchievements already pop-up in Retroarch so if anyone wants that feature I'd just recommend them RA. I think it's best to move on with a new poll, and if the old stuff is still in high demand it'll be shown there.

Also wasn't pinball support coming before the next poll?

Thanks.

Edited by Codeman

For the controller images, it would be great to have a new image type for theme makers so that custom control mapping images can be displayed without bastardizing the other existing image types.

This is super useful for arcade cabinets because many console games are very playable on an arcade cabinet but the controls generally need to be mapped much differently than how they appear on a game pad and with so many games it’s difficult to remember which button does what  

What would be amazing is an app with a database of game controls and the ability to create custom images of a control panel. Then allow users to define the button locations on the control panel image, define mappings of those buttons for each emulator and have the system somehow read game specific button mappings for each emulator and cross reference with this mythical game controls database to generate call outs that could be overlaid on the control panel image specifying each buttons main functions.

I recognize that this would be a huge effort and probably at the far periphery (or maybe way outside) of launch box’s intended scope. It would just be awesome to have an image type that we could show on marquee and pause themes to display control mappings even if those images need to be manually generated for now. 

I’m not sure how popular this feature would be but I would love it!

Edited by Fry