LaunchBox Community Forums

11.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Hey all, the first 11.3 beta is out now with the following:

• New Feature: Alternate names are now downloaded from the LaunchBox Games Database when importing or downloading metadata for your games, and they are editable in Add/Edit

• New Feature: New fields have been added for Max Players, Release Type, Video URL, and Wikipedia URL, downloaded from the LaunchBox Games Database when available

• Improvement: LaunchBox and Big Box have been upgraded to .NET Core 3.1, which brings with it many advantages, such as no longer requiring a .NET Framework installation, better performance, increased security, and potential cross-platform support

• Improvement: The LaunchBox options screen has been overhauled to remove the "legacy" portion and organize everything much more cleanly

• Improvement: The Installed, Games Database ID, Application Path, Max Players, Release Type, Video URL, and Wikipedia URL fields have been added to the LaunchBox list view

• Improvement: Date formats should now more closely reflect the Windows settings

• Improvement: Using custom fields in the sidebar now supports multi-string fields similar to Genre and Series

• Improvement: Plugin developers can now perform a search in Big Box using PluginHelper.BigBoxMainViewModel.Search(string query)

• Fixed: Rare image cache reading error

• Fixed: Screenshots pulled from GOG were sometimes cut off

• Fixed: Some games imported from GOG were not using DOSBox correctly

The .NET Core 3.1 upgrades are a relatively big deal, and a lot of work went into them (and basically everything needs tested as a result).

There is one known issue with this beta: the new Release Type field is not currently downloaded from the LaunchBox Games Database on imports and metadata updates, but the rest of the fields are.

Let us know how this beta fares.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 2

I had to manually install .NET Core, can you include it in the install like the DirectX component.

image.png.8557847083e56145e0ef1831ed855470.png

• When doing a LaunchBox update I'm always prompted for a DirectX install, should this still be occurring?
  • Also after making some changes in Options it still freezes until I have selected another platform, example and debug logs here
  • Under View -> List View it automatically added all the new filters. I had to deselect them to put it the way it was before not sure if intended in the update to automatically show them. Also after deselecting filters in a Platform then selecting another Platform the changes don't stick and it reverts
  • Under Options -> General -> Video Playback I had it set to VLC but after the upgrade it was set to Windows Media Player
  • Under Options -> Media if you select the Label it checks the box but you have to click somewhere in the empty space for the "Move Selected Up" and "Move Selected Down" to work
  • Under Options -> Integrations -> EmuMovies it listed no account had to sign in again
  • Under Options -> Visuals -> Game Details my MAME options reverted to all being checked I had to uncheck all the boxes except one to put it the way it was before
  • Under Options -> Visuals -> Game Details my Show options reverted, see below check boxes are checked but are not displaying in Game Details. I had to uncheck the boxes to what I had it as previously, it was easy because it didn't actually change it in the Game Details

image.thumb.png.bcbeb51792ad5f872ad24c560eef9ce4.png

58 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey all, the first 11.3 beta is out now with the following:

• New Feature: Alternate names are now downloaded from the LaunchBox Games Database when importing or downloading metadata for your games, and they are editable in Add/Edit

If you edit a name then run a metadata update does it keep your edited name or does it revert?

image.thumb.png.8f8ad7d365f1130454b282db10af5387.png

Edited by wallmachine

If using the Open Game Folder or Open Images Folder feature you get access error below.  On a local drive, no change in permissions. Works fine in prior versions.  Tried running LB as ADMIN and still get same error. 

Capture2.PNG.014ae6d9785377fbb4391cdb894e6acd.PNGCapture.PNG.9e9610c71eaa7611e2c4dd978be96ba5.PNG

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 1

New beta definitely does not like a few plugins. Had to remove SteamScraper from the plugin folder. Said the .dll for those needed unblocking and they already were. LB would not open at all until I removed the plugin. Same for Youtube one, but I do not use that one anyway.

46 minutes ago, sundogak said:

If using the Open Game Folder or Open Images Folder feature you get access error below.  On a local drive, no change in permissions. Works fine in prior versions.  Tried running LB as ADMIN and still get same error. 

Capture2.PNG.014ae6d9785377fbb4391cdb894e6acd.PNGCapture.PNG.9e9610c71eaa7611e2c4dd978be96ba5.PNG

I am getting this error as well, on both same HDD (games are not in LB folder) as LB and NAS drives

Edited by Wanderer189

Yeah I reverted back this beta seems to have a bunch of issues. I get this message when launching my Atari 800 games 

Error.png

Breaks AHK scripts if you use that as an emulator/launcher either compiled or as AHK but the above error shows when launched as AHK but compiled ahk script gives a script error. When I revert back my AHK script runs fine and don't get the above message so for now turning off beta updates until this issue can be resolved or tested.

Edited by Krakerman

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Awesome, I've been waiting for alternate names improvments. ?

I live in Europe and I have european ROMs. I want to get the european titles from the games database.
When adding/updating games, the title is set/updated to the US title.

I've been testing 11.3-beta-1 and have some issues.

Here is an example game:
https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/5962

"Contra: Hard Corps" has the alternate name "Probotector" for region "Europe".

The game in my collection has the file following info:
ROM name: "Probotector (Europe) (En,Fr,De).md"
Title: "Probotector"
Region: "Europe"

Issue 1:
The game is found when searching manually, but I think it should return the european title:

image.png.a3a0649a3e1328270bf654572016bb27.pngIssue 2:
I tested "Download Metadata and Media Wizard" for the game and I selected the option "Yes, download and replace all existing metadata and media".
The title was updated to "Contra: Hard Corps", when there shouldn't be any reason to change the title.

Just now, Norfair said:

Awesome, I've been waiting for alternate names improvments. ?

I live in Europe and I have european ROMs. I want to get the european titles from the games database.
When adding/updating games, the title is set/updated to the US title.

I've been testing 11.3-beta-1 and have some issues.

Here is an example game:
https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/5962

"Contra: Hard Corps" has the alternate name "Probotector" for region "Europe".

The game in my collection has the file following info:
ROM name: "Probotector (Europe) (En,Fr,De).md"
Title: "Probotector"
Region: "Europe"

Issue 1:
The game is found when searching manually, but I think it should return the european title:

image.png.a3a0649a3e1328270bf654572016bb27.pngIssue 2:
I tested "Download Metadata and Media Wizard" for the game and I selected the option "Yes, download and replace all existing metadata and media".
The title was updated to "Contra: Hard Corps", when there shouldn't be any reason to change the title.

Even here in the US I have various Regions I work with, and for the longest I've wanted the LaunchBox Database to automatically use the Regional names instead of just the US ones. Like I have and still end up having manually rename them after I get the Metadata for it, and that can be frustrating. Japanese games tend to be much harder to go about that I have look in various places across the Internet in the best way these titles are spelled too that they may contain an accent of a letter or sometimes what is "U" ends up being "UU" in a game title, or what seems 2 words is actually one-worded. So I really hope getting the alternate regional names nailed down properly really gets going to save some time and hassle along the way for some of us who want a globally accurate collection. I think the only part that would get iffy is trying to figure which Series to label them under..like would we want Rockman and Mega Man to be known as the Mega Man series..or is it to be known as the Rockman series? Or probably some might want them set apart? I almost want say it's probably best to set them based on wherever in the world you live it can be set to the Region's name as to which the Series is labeled under or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueDragon992 said:

All of my Steam shortcuts are broken on this build. Every time I try to launch one of them, I get an error saying that "The system cannot find the file specified".

Yeah none of my steam games that i imported via the Steam import wizard are working either. I dont get a error though, just nothing happens. When double clicking one my mouse dissapears but i stay in Launchbox, the startup screen doesnt even show, but is hiding in the taskbar along with the program. I have to head into the mouse settings in order to get my cursor back in order to close the minimized startup screen.

image.thumb.png.c861924dab0dcd11c7d4bb48b69a17e7.png 

EDIT:

Actually it appears to be all PC games imported via there respective wizards, so Epic, Origin, UPLAY etc.

Edited by neil9000

Ooh nice quality of life changes in this latest beta. If you're doing some localisation of dates/times, do you reckon you'll also be able to sort out the Last Played Date in LB too? Even more so now that the Added on and modified dates are now showing in European time, it's awkward that Last Played is still US time. 

Edited by alondero
Clarifying dates and times
  • Like 1