LaunchBox Community Forums

11.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

The reason I used BitDefender is because it came out top in a number of reviews, but happy to look at alternatives lol. Launchbox won't load despite BitDefender being disabled - can I just download the latest Beta from the site and extract to my existing directory; will that keep all my files and settings?

i also ran in to difficulties with the new beta's. Rocketlauncher seems to be messed up, trys to load the xml file from core/data ??, i also couldn't get Beta 3 to even load, just did nothing, yet Beta 2 did at least load for me, rolled back to beta 2 and again it loaded. So not sure why Beta 3 wouldn't even load. No logs im afraid i rolled back to stable for the time being.

14 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 3 is out now with the following:

• Fixed pack:// URIs

Still having issues with latest beta not showing images in either custom folders inside a theme or custom image folders outside of a theme's folder structure. Jason is the above fix related to that?

13 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Still having issues with latest beta not showing images in either custom folders inside a theme or custom image folders outside of a theme's folder structure. Jason is the above fix related to that?

No, this fix mostly affected the Default Background from loading. Basically any image inside of LB had the potential to not draw because of how images are loaded, that line corrects those.

45 minutes ago, Android16 said:

Bigbox immediate crash (Win7U):

Unable to load one or more of the requested types.
Could not load type 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.ApplicationBase' from assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.
Could not load type 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.Devices.Computer' from assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.

App:     Big Box
Version: 11.3-beta-3
Type:    System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException
Site:    System.RuntimeType[] GetTypes(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule)
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes()
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Root.qvHuQ5vMU4[WkqQKbebtjsEBjP985](IEnumerable`1  , ConcurrentDictionary`2&  )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Root.LoadPlugins(String folderPath)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.App.c5OFpfRZRAh6lCT2UKa(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.App.LoadThemePlugins(String theme)
   at CC4sNoqiNsHtV2efuG.Ea84HLeps(String  , CC4sNoqiNsHtV2efuG )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.Bootstrapper.OnStartup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

8:36:01 AM Exception

This looks like a plugin issue. Could you remove them one by one until the error stops and see which it is?

20 minutes ago, MadK9 said:

i also ran in to difficulties with the new beta's. Rocketlauncher seems to be messed up, trys to load the xml file from core/data ??, i also couldn't get Beta 3 to even load, just did nothing, yet Beta 2 did at least load for me, rolled back to beta 2 and again it loaded. So not sure why Beta 3 wouldn't even load. No logs im afraid i rolled back to stable for the time being.

I'm not real familiar with RocketLauncher but if it uses the executable location as a starting directory you will need to update your RocketLauncher. In 11.3 the core LB/BB applications are in the Core folder, the executables in the main directory now simply just redirect you to those.

13 hours ago, ToniBC said:

Hello, I put it here to comment that the field of "Release Type" of the games is not imported from the database, both in beta 2 and in beta 3 that just launched. That field always appears blank.

At this time that field does not pull from the DB, we intend to make it do so, but at the time it has not been connected yet.

5 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

I'm not real familiar with RocketLauncher but if it uses the executable location as a starting directory you will need to update your RocketLauncher. In 11.3 the core LB/BB applications are in the Core folder, the executables in the main directory now simply just redirect you to those.

I noticed there is now a BigBox.exe and a LaunchBox.exe now in the core folder and the main LaunchBox folder. What is the difference between the two? They seem to both work but I notice the size of the exe's are different.

12 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

No, this fix mostly affected the Default Background from loading. Basically any image inside of LB had the potential to not draw because of how images are loaded, that line corrects those.

Thanks. I was sure it had nothing to do with the issue, but wanted to confirm.

1 minute ago, kmoney said:

I noticed there is now a BigBox.exe and a LaunchBox.exe now in the core folder and the main LaunchBox folder. What is the difference between the two? They seem to both work but I notice the size of the exe's are different.

The ones in the root simply launch the ones in the Core folder. NET Core requires the executable to in the same directory as the dependency dlls which was REALLY ugly so we put the executables in the Core folder. This would have broke shortcuts however so we put the redirect executables in the root folder which allows those to still work without the user having to repoint them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZeSystem said:

What is the purpose of "alternate names"? What are they used for?

Some games have a different name in different reigons, and LB by default uses the US name. For example, Contra is Probotector in Europe, so in theory i could specify to use that name if its in the database as a alternate name for Contra.

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Some games have a different name in different reigons, and LB by default uses the US name. For example, Contra is Probotector in Europe, so in theory i could specify to use that name if its in the database as a alternate name for Contra.

and this would be awesome ? and would bring this nearer to a good place for having all games and media in one place ? 

Just tried to update to Beta 3 and as soon as it attempts to install the update, I get this:

image.png.2e06d8e0aacecac9c0ac5069579647ba.png

Edit: I deleted the update file for beta 3 and let it re-download, but now get this:

image.thumb.png.9813819c5fad6a487145a3b61ef8933f.png

Either Try again or Skip this file do nothing to allow it to continue.

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT
update

7 hours ago, C-Beats said:

The ones in the root simply launch the ones in the Core folder. NET Core requires the executable to in the same directory as the dependency dlls which was REALLY ugly so we put the executables in the Core folder. This would have broke shortcuts however so we put the redirect executables in the root folder which allows those to still work without the user having to repoint them.

that makes sense then why on 1st launch after updating it opened a new instance and not from my pinned taskbar icon (not really important but I'm glad I have an answer to why it did so)

9 hours ago, MadK9 said:

I had the same Issue, wasnt sure what to do so I gave it what it wanted for the time being. I just copied the whole data folder and pasted it into the core folder and that worked for me.

Having issues with Launchbox 11.3 beta

It doesn't start and throws this error

Unable to load one or more of the requested types.
Could not load type 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.ApplicationBase' from assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.
Could not load type 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.Devices.Computer' from assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 11.3-beta-3
Type:    System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException
Site:    System.RuntimeType[] GetTypes(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule)
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes()
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Root.qvHuQ5vMU4[WkqQKbebtjsEBjP985](IEnumerable`1  , ConcurrentDictionary`2&  )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Root.LoadPlugins(String folderPath)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App.lsDl9QktHX6r846YjWm(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Recent Log:

21:10:39 Exception

• Like 1