LaunchBox Community Forums

11.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

I just reported an issue with LB/BB indefinitely loading when launching after updating to version 11.3 beta 2. i saw an earlier post about not loading plugins and that is where it gets stuck so it worked for me to remove the plugins completely. I don't know if anyone else has already stated this because I didn't go through every single post here, but I don't use very many plugins myself so after confirming it would launch with no plugins, I re-added them one by one and tested it until it hung up with the error report again.

The only plugin that caused the issue for me was the AddToGamesDb plugin. All others worked just fine. I updated the bug report with this info too.

6 hours ago, RULLUR said:

So in Beta 2 I tried again with adding videos in Edit, but got the same error as before, and then my Avast did this:

image.thumb.png.67637b9fcd616ed5b856028989806bfa.pngI clicked "Allow App" and then I went to try again in adding videos to game via Edit, and then it worked fine. Very odd antivirus would get crazy about LaunchBox like that though

Bad antivirus programs have always flagged Launchbox, dont use one.

Dolphin games don't seem to launch through Launchbox now - though they do if launched via Dolphin itself. When attempting to launch via Launchbox, I get the following error message:

"An error occurred while trying to launch the game: The requested operation requires elevation."

Also, +1 for showing alternate games in the details panel.

18 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

Dolphin games don't seem to launch through Launchbox now - though they do if launched via Dolphin itself. When attempting to launch via Launchbox, I get the following error message:

"An error occurred while trying to launch the game: The requested operation requires elevation."

Also, +1 for showing alternate games in the details panel.

Dolphin working fine here - both GC and Wii. Tested the prior Dolphin version and the one it just updated to (5.0-12348). You running LB/BB as admin by chance or even Dolphin as Admin? If so undo that and test. Dolphin should not need it and we do not recommend it for LB/BB.

9 hours ago, Retro808 said:

BigBox is having issues showing images from a custom image folder that is not located within a theme's folder. I have some custom marquee view xamls in a few cabinets that use a background image in a custom marquee folder located within the LB Image folder structure. BB will not show the image. I only get a black screen. Revert to 11.2 and it works as it should.

If the folder is in a theme’s folder it works. I keep the images placed in the LB Image folder so all themes can use the marquee image folder and I do not need to replicate images and place them in each theme.  

Original folder image path:

<TextBlock x:Name="MarqueeStatic"  Visibility="Collapsed">
            <TextBlock.Text>
                <MultiBinding StringFormat="{}pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Images/Marquees/Platforms/{0}.png">
                    <Binding Path="SelectedGame.Platform" />
                </MultiBinding>
            </TextBlock.Text>
        </TextBlock>

If I place the image folder in the theme like this it works:

<TextBlock x:Name="MarqueeStatic"  Visibility="Collapsed">
            <TextBlock.Text>
                <MultiBinding StringFormat="{}pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Themes/Chrome Metal/Images/Marquees/Platforms/{0}.png">
                    <Binding Path="SelectedGame.Platform" />
                </MultiBinding>
            </TextBlock.Text>
        </TextBlock>

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 10.03.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 9.54.23 PM.png

Can confirm this is also effecting startup themes (and im assuming also pause themes). I am using the Unified Startup and pause themes at the moment, both pull there images from the actual Unified Bigbox theme folder rather than supplying duplicate images in both these themes it just uses the existing ones from the main theme. Problem is that it doesnt just break the startup theme, but it actually stops the game from loading at all, i assume its waiting for some trigger from the startup that is not being sent, so the games dont ever launch.

19 hours ago, Retro808 said:

You just need to run the installer for the version you want. It will not override any settings. You can back up your data folder if you want to be safe.

Hi, I ran installer 11.2 from the updates folder and it started a fresh install of Launchbox without any of my existing games or platforms intact? Have I lost all my settings? what can i do now to fix this?

1 minute ago, gupti99 said:

Hi, I ran installer 11.2 from the updates folder and it started a fresh install of Launchbox without any of my existing games or platforms intact? Have I lost all my settings? what can i do now to fix this?

No, this means you did not actually point it to install over the existing set-up. If you search you will likley find you have to instance of the Launchbox.exe somewhere. What we typically see when this happens is someone had it install in the Launchbox folder into another Launchbox folder.

Look and see if you have \Launchbox\Launchbox\Launchbox.exe showing. Open you original LB folder and see if there is a Launchbox folder inside of it.

3 minutes ago, gupti99 said:

Sounds like you installed the new version inside of your existing folder, so you probably now have a Launchbox/Launchbox folder.

47 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Glad your sorted. Saw Neil assisted in the discord. 

Dolphin never needed admin rights and neither does LB/BB. So no need to mess with setting admin. 

I checked to see if I had any problems with Dolphin, turns out, I have a problem with EVERY emulator. I had to disable the "Game Startup Screen" for every emulator. If enabled, I loose my mouse cursor, I see a 2nd process for LB as Startup running, but nothing else ever happens. Even if I kill LB, only way to get mouse cursor back is reboot PC. 

UPDATE: Found the problem, it was actually the Startup Theme being used

Edited by Wanderer189

3 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

I checked to see if I had any problems with Dolphin, turns out, I have a problem with EVERY emulator. I had to disable the "Game Startup Screen" for every emulator. If enabled, I loose my mouse cursor, I see a 2nd process for LB as Startup running, but nothing else ever happens. Even if I kill LB, only way to get mouse cursor back is reboot PC. 

Sounds like you are using a startup theme that gets images from outside of its own folder, switching to the default for now should fix that. As for the mouse you can get that back without a reboot, press the windows button on your keyboard and start typing "change mouse pointer size" when its highlighted hit enter, then when the window opens just press left then right arrow.

Clicking multiple games in succession seems to cause issues. Was just in my snes platform clicking on a few games to get the info in the game details pane, after clicking 4 or 5 different games Launchbox stopped updating the game details pane, it was just stuck on a game no matter which game was actually highlighted in the main window, then Launchbox just closed with no error.

Beta 2 this is, here is the log.

Debug 2020-07-25 02-52-10 PM.log 

17 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Sounds like you are using a startup theme that gets images from outside of its own folder, switching to the default for now should fix that. As for the mouse you can get that back without a reboot, press the windows button on your keyboard and start typing "change mouse pointer size" when its highlighted hit enter, then when the window opens just press left then right arrow.

Yes Sir, only one causing problems are the Retro theme ones. And thanks for the mouse tip!

lol fortunately i walked away to shower and left the webpage open.   got the notification in my email, so was able to preemptively copy/paste :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

is it just me or did the "default" theme design in LB change?

for the longest when nothing with a background was selected, the design was a grey with darker grey or black, diamond plate type texture/pattern.

Now its just flat grey  (which is fine, i just want to make sure nothing is borked).

Just updated a barebones LB on a separate pc that I have for testing and/or future use and the result was the same.  So either the beta is mucking up that particular setting/design, or it was intentionally changed.

bah - "use desktop wallpaper" option now just displays a black background :P

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Clicking multiple games in succession seems to cause issues. Was just in my snes platform clicking on a few games to get the info in the game details pane, after clicking 4 or 5 different games Launchbox stopped updating the game details pane, it was just stuck on a game no matter which game was actually highlighted in the main window, then Launchbox just closed with no error.

Beta 2 this is, here is the log.

Debug 2020-07-25 02-52-10 PM.log 72.72 kB · 0 downloads  

1. Noted same as Neil. All Beta 2, default themes, no plugins.
  2. If audit panel is open and doing various edits it will appear to hang.  Audit window is open along with whatever edit window.  Clicking actions does nothing. After about 30 seconds it will snap out of whatever loop it is in and operate normally.  Doesn't do it all the time but roughly every 3rd or 4th edit.  Sometimes it will just hang completely (Edit #1: see attached log for example when did that). Edit #2. Also just noticed that when it is hanging like that if you look in the ..\Launchbox\MetaData\Temp folder it was generating a temp file about every second.  I had about 40 of them when LB window activated again and LB deleted all the temp files (so couldn't get screen shot). 
  3. The Audit pane window will occasionally lose focus and pull behind the LB main window when you close the edit pane versus normal behavior where returns you to audit pain view. 
  4. Capture122.thumb.PNG.c835c8d0951ed39ab4c10859d25a1d60.PNGAbove error on a new install and if you have checked the install of the desktop shortcut.  Does not do this on prior versions.
  5. Capture.thumb.PNG.be84ff502279ecd7c6f3bdd30e664125.PNGGot this error last night (one time) when closing out the edit view within audit window. No special characters in the game being edited.

Debug 2020-07-25 12-52-23 PM.log

Edited by sundogak
Attached error log for when edit pane hung up and had to force exit