LaunchBox Community Forums

23 Screenshots

About This File

I set out to make an alternate version to the beautiful Unified theme,with modifications here and there,yet,as I worked on it more and more,I started to go a different direction slightly...and thus Refried was born. This theme is built to focus on artwork,and showcase each system in bright colorful high definition artwork. I have drawn all new original arcade cabinets,and designed custom borders for each platform,which set each system apart from each other,while maintaining a unified appearance across the board.

The main difference between this,and many other themes that are out there...are the video borders. When using the Default theme,all video borders are the same size across the entire theme...but,when using the addons,the video borders will then fit the system properly...so that the video for Game Boy Advance,will fit the GBA Video Border...and the PSP video,will fit the PSP Video Border. In other words,by using separate themes,it allows the video to represent the system perfectly...rather than the same size border for everything.

This theme is more than capable of running without a single addon theme installed,and only using the Default...the addons are merely to extend the experience of each system,with special added artwork,and tweaks. In comparison,This theme works very much like coverbox...except with a default to fall back on.

On the other hand,the Addon themes rely on certain files that reside in the Default theme...so while it is still possible,it is not suggested to run the addons without running the Default as well. I have built this theme as a package...so If anyone chooses to run the addons,without the default,or make any changes to the xaml files...I will not provide any help with issues that arise...sorry.

There are multiple views included with the default theme,including -

1.Border with No Box/Cart/Disc Art

2.Border with Box/Cart/Disc Art

3.Border with Box/Spinning Cart/Disc Art

4.Full Screen Video w/Centered enlarged wheel

5.Border Text List View with Box/Cart/Disc Art

Each Addon theme has 4 views,which are - 

1.Special Artwork/Special Border with No Box/Cart/Disc Art

2.Special Border with Box/Cart/Disc Art  (With wheel fade)

3.Special Border with Box/Cart/Disc Art  (No wheel fade)

4.Special Border Text List View with Box/Cart/Disc Art

In the case of the Addon themes...if the system has CD's/Discs,then the Disc will spin in Views 2 and 3...but,if the system has carts or floppies,then they will not spin in views 2 and 3.

***Notes on the Arcade Addon Theme***

*The Arcade theme consists of a single theme that contains all of the artwork for 65 Arcade platforms/Playlists,and is installed the same way as the Collections/Genres/Favorites themes*

*Capable of displaying Video Marquees for each game in the marquee area of the cabinets (Some samples are included,and more are on the way)*

Any Video Marquees must be placed in "LaunchBox/Themes/Unified Refried - Arcade/Images/Theme/Video Marquees/" and must be in mp4 format

*Capable of displaying Marquees for each game in the marquee area of the cabinets

In order to make this work properly,you must go into LaunchBox options,and change the priority for Cart Back Image to Arcade - Marquee,and uncheck anything else. This has been updated from the previous method,and if you still have the version where you have to add marquees to the theme folder,i highly suggest you update it again to this new version.

*The Arcade theme has 5 views*

1.Dynamic Marquees with Character Artwork

2.No Dynamic Marquees with Character Artwork

3.Dynamic Marquees with Advert/Flyers

4.No Dynamic Marquees with Advert/Flyers

5.Text List View with Advert/Flyers/Cabinets

Installation:

1.Download the Default theme,as well as any platform themes you would like,and place them separately in the themes folder located at Launchbox/Themes. The structure should look like this..

Unified Refried

Unified Refried - Atari 2600

Unified Refried - Atari 5200

etc.

2.If you have not done so,you will need to unblock the Plugins...This does not have to be done for every addon theme,as unblocking them once,in the default,is all that is necessary...excerpt taken from unified description -

Go to the “Plugins” folder inside of the extracted folder and right-click on of the .dll files. Choose Properties -> Click on “Unblock” at the bottom of the window. Close the window. Repeat that for all .dll files in that folder. If the "Unblock" button isn't there than you are already good to go.

3.Set the theme to "Unified Refried" in Options/Views/Theme

4.Make sure to have "Remember seperate view for each Platform" turned on in Options/Views

5.Browse to any platform that you have installed the Platform theme for,and press your "Switch Theme" Key,Then select the appropriate Platform theme from the list. If you have not programmed a "Switch Theme" key,you may do so by going to Options/Keyboard Mappings or Options/Controller Buttons.

Thanks

@RetroNi for the use of his Logo set.

@CriticalCid for his theme Unified,as I used alot of his coding as a base for the assembly of this theme.

@kyoken @neil9000 @bundangdon @zetec-s-joe @Retro808 @Porl Hendy for their feedback during testing.

@faeran for his help early on in the development stages.

@Jason Carr because I used a bit of code from his Redux version,and took on some of his ideas from the changes he made

@NJDave71 for his HelperControl plugin

@bmonomad @Suhrvivor for their work on the Community Star Ratings,Favorites,and Play Mode code,which formed the base for implementing it into this theme

@Ghostlines for his additions to the theme

Examples:

1100468769_SNESExample.thumb.png.d180da040e467692826b109d5579e7f9.png978522052_WiiExample.thumb.png.733868fe01a4ccb5277397d74edff8eb.png

Theme Lists

Arcade

Spoiler

2-Player Games
4-Player Games
AAE
All Games
American Laser Games
Arcade Classics
Arcade Pinball
Arcade
Atari Classics
Ball & Paddle Games
Beat Em Ups
Board & Card Games
Capcom Classics
Capcom Play System II
Capcom Play System III
Capcom Play System
Cave
Daphne
Data East Classics
DICE
Examu Ex-Board
FightCade
Fighting Games
Final Burn Alpha
Flying Games
HBMAME
IGS PolyGame Master
Irem Classics
Konami Classics
Light Gun Games
MAME
Maze Games
Midway Classics
Multigames
Namco Classics
Namco NA-1
Namco NB-1
Namco System 22
Nintendo Classics
Platform Games
Puzzle Games
Racing Games
Rhythm Games
Run & Gun Games
Sammy Atomiswave
Sega Classics
Sega Hikaru
Sega Model 1
Sega Model 2
Sega Model 3
Sega NAOMI
Sega Ringedge
Sega Ringwide
SEGA ST-V
SEGA Triforce
Shoot Em Ups
Shooter Games
SNK Classics
SNK Neo Geo MVS
Sports Games
Taito Classics
Taito NESiCAxLive
Taito Type X
Williams Classics
ZINC

Consoles

Spoiler

Amstrad GX4000
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari 8-Bit
Atari Jaguar CD
Atari Jaguar
Atari XEGS
Bally Astrocade
Casio Loopy
Casio PV-1000
ColecoVision
Commodore Amiga CD32
Emerson Arcadia 2001
Epoch Super Cassette Vision
Fairchild Channel F
Funtech Super Acan
GCE Vectrex
Hacks & Fan-Made
Interton VC 4000
Magnavox Odyssey 2
Magnavox Odyssey
Mattel Intellivision
Microsoft Xbox 360
Microsoft Xbox
NEC PC Engine
NEC PC Engine-CD
NEC PC-FX
NEC SuperGrafx
NEC TurboDuo
NEC TurboGrafx-16
NEC TurboGrafx-CD
Nintendo 64
Nintendo 64DD
Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo Famicom Disk System
Nintendo Famicom
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo Satellaview
Nintendo Sufami Turbo
Nintendo Super Famicom
Nintendo Super Game Boy
Nintendo Switch
Nintendo Wii U
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo WiiWare
Panasonic 3DO
Philips CD-i
Philips VG 5000
RCA studio II
Sega 32X
Sega CD
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Genesis
Sega Mark III
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Sega Mega-CD
Sega Pico
Sega Saturn
Sega SG-1000
SNK Neo Geo AES
SNK Neo Geo CD
Sony Playstation 2
Sony PlayStation 3
Sony Playstation
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo MSU-1
VTech CreatiVision
WoW Action Max

Handhelds

Spoiler

Android
Atari Lynx
Bandai WonderSwan Color
Bandai WonderSwan
Creatronic Mega Duck
Entex Adventure Vision
Epoch Game Pocket Computer
Game & Watch
GamePark 32
Hartung Game Master
Java Games
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo Pokemon Mini
Nintendo Virtual Boy
Sega Game Gear
Sega VMU
SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
SNK Neo Geo Pocket
Sony Playstation Minis
Sony Playstation Portable
Sony PlayStation Vita
Sony PocketStation
Tiger Game.com
Tiger Handheld Electronics
Watara Supervision

Computers

Spoiler

Acorn Archimedes
Acorn Atom
Acorn BBC Micro
Acorn Electron
Amstrad CPC
APF Imagination Machine
Apple II
Apple IIGS
Atari ST
Big Fish Games
Camputers Lynx
Commodore 128
Commodore 16 & Plus4
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga
Commodore CDTV
Commodore MAX Machine
Commodore PET
Commodore VIC-20
DOOM Hacks
EACA EG2000 Colour Genie
Exidy Sorcerer
Flash Games
Fujitsu FM Towns
GOG
Indie Games
Mattel Aquarius
MGT Sam Coupe
Microsoft MS-DOS
Microsoft MSX
Microsoft MSX2
Microsoft Windows 3.x
MUGEN
OpenBOR
Origin
OUYA
Pioneer Palcom LaserDisc
PopCap
ScummVM
Sega SC-3000
Sharp MZ-2500
Sharp X68000
Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Sord M5
Spectravideo
Steam
Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer
Tangerine Oric
Texas Instruments TI 99-4A
Tomy Tutor
TouHou Project
Uplay
Vector-06C
Windows

Pinball

Spoiler

Future Pinball
Pinball FX2
Pinball FX3
The Pinball Arcade
Visual Pinball

Ghostlines Additions

Spoiler

Blizzard Entertainment

Nintendo DSiWare

Nintendo e-Reader

Nintendo e-Shop

Nintendo Game Boy Player

Nintendo GBA Video

Nintendo iQue

Nintendo Wii Virtual Console

Sony Playstation 4

Super Nintendo (PAL)

The Platform/Playlist video set can be found here...

The Platform/Playlist Logo set can be found here...

What's New in Version 1.6.4   See changelog

Released

*Removed Christmas Theme from Download....hope everyone enjoyed their Holidays!!:D

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

CriticalCid

4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

You took the concept of Unified to the next level and I’m really happy to see that my little theme led the creation of this jewel.

It' very polished and I really love your own spin on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this review

Link to review
CDBlue

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

What can I say, other than get this theme immediately :)  It's very polished, has tons of great animations, graphics, etc..  All that plus a bonus of great logos and platform videos to go along with it.  Nice job RetroHumanoid, can't wait to see your future work (and updates to this great theme).

• Thanks 1

Share this review

Link to review
Riffman81

It's been awhile since I've posted a review on anything. This theme definitely got my attention and will be a permanent fixture on both my cab and my gaming PC for BigBox! Love the attention to detail, uniform look, and high quality art! Job VERY well done!! :)

• Thanks 1

Share this review

Link to review
ChoCho346

Awesome theme! I'm just having trouble finding out how to install add ons and add platform videos. Any help would be appreciated.

Response from the author:

Thanks...Platform Videos go in "Launchbox/Videos/Platforms/"...and just make sure the video has the same exact name as the platform it's for.

As for installing addon themes,the instructions are posted above...just follow them exactly and you shouldn't have any issues.

Share this review

Link to review
ed20910

Excellent theme, even without the add-ons.  The arcade add-on is a must have though. The changing marquee on the video cab is something i have not seen in a theme before, especially video marquees.  My go to theme on my main LB build.

• Like 1

Share this review

Link to review
zetec-s-joe

Major attention to detail, this man is a machine,

For those of you that are a little OCD or looking for a console like experience where everything is all Uniform - Look no further

Thank you for this Theme and the hard work,

• Like 1

Share this review

Link to review
kmoney

Excellent beautiful theme. Very detailed and lots of time and effort and retro goodness went into designing it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this review

Link to review