LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme 2.03

(22 reviews)

5 Screenshots

About This File

# WHAT IS COLORFUL MEDIA SET ?
COLORFUL is a complete and coherent high quality graphic set, around a unique design. Made with love in France. Hope you like it!!

COLORFUL_Banner_v2.thumb.jpg.cc3347194aedf12be1e85d8640be0d23.jpg

OFFICIAL COLORFUL ASSET :

RECOMMENDED COMMUNITY ASSET :

# HERE IS COLORFUL THEME FOR BIGBOX:
On this page we are talking about COLORFUL Theme for BigBox:
Design for work with my platform video set, COLORFUL THEME is thought to be used on the big screen (TV) in gaming console mode.
Modern, elegant and animated are the key words of this interface.

The COLORFUL project is getting too big for me alone.
@faeran  has taken over the source code of the theme. A BIG THANKS to you for your support and your precious help !! :x

# IN DETAIL ?
The main features :

• 16:9 only. (Works on other ratio, but with black bands)
  • Full 4K asset. (Any resolution must work, 4K assets)
  • Totally responsive. No resolution deformation on text size or placement.
  • Because of the white/black background, some ClearLogo comes with the theme.
  • Gamepad connection indicator & battery level.

# RECOMMENDATION ?
Any design choice gives limitations. Here are some recommendations for this theme :

• LaunchBox/BigBox up to date.
  • VLC highly recommended.
  • Design for work with COLORFUL platform video set. (but you can use any video you what)
  • Beware of full white/black ClearLogo. They will be invisible on Light/Dark views!
  • I didnt test this theme on a lowend configuration. There may be slowdown. (Curious to have your feedback on this subject!)

# COOL, HOW TO DOWNLOAD ?
2 ways

1.  In Windows : Right here, with the download button. Extract the "Colorful" folder and place it in your "LaunchBox/Themes" directory.   (dont rename it!)
  2.  In BigBox : Option > Theme manager > Found "COLORFUL - Light" or "COLORFUL - Dark"

# HOW TO EDIT ?
You can now edit this theme within the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files below (current version from the CTC 2.3):

# SPECIAL THANKS !

# CREDITS !

# BY FILE, EVERY CUSTOM VIEW SUMMARY  (Here in LIGHT. Same principle/animation for DARK)

• PlatformWheel1FiltersView.xaml
  • v2_PlatformWheel1FiltersView.thumb.gif.c5efedc6b7a6e4bd4962a12beeee0aec.gif
  • PlatformWheel2FiltersView.xaml
  • v2_PlatformWheel2FiltersView.thumb.gif.c22bf2a1583f94b203079adde1f813e4.gif
  • WheelGamesView.xaml :
  •  474073990_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Light-WheelGamesView-2022-04-0713_15_51.thumb.jpg.43f1b19a91943b09dd8d76b8d0947516.jpg
  • Wheel2GamesView.xaml :
  • 634414446_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Light-Wheel2GamesView-2022-04-0713_16_13.thumb.jpg.7bfa1eeb24d854f4d380e139c60f5a1e.jpg
  • TextGamesView.xaml :
  • 555591633_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Light-TextGamesView-2022-04-0713_17_17.thumb.jpg.cf0e7cbf54f36b556cd4aba64dae5171.jpg

What's New in Version 2.03   See changelog

Released

• Fix animations in certain views when backing out of the Game Details menu.
  • Potentially other small fixes here and there.
  • Like 56
  • Thanks 12
  • Game On 5
  • Unusual Gem 14

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I can't remember when I started having this issue but I figured it would go away with a future update. Since I'm now on LB 10.7 and Colorful 1.0 I thought I would share since it's still happening.

Videos seem to lag for a half second during the initial animation startup. It definitely didn't do this when I first installed the theme, and I don't think it's my computer since I'm running it from an NVME M.2 and I have a GTX 1070 with 5820k CPU as well. Also using VLC. It doesn't do it when using Windows Media Player, but the animation is super fast instead and I prefer the slower wiping effect.

Anyway, I'm sure it's just some setting I have wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If this matters my monitor is 1440p @144hrz

BB Colorful Issue.gif

Unfortunately, I think this is not a bug, but a XAML limitation. (the code language)
The microsoft doc indicates that having large pixel movement can cause slowdowns. And for my theme, it is ALL the screen pixels that it must recalculate during the animation.
My concept is clearly not resource-efficient... ?

Aggravating factor: 1440p. You have more pixels to calculate than a 1080p.
I have the same resolution, but in 60hz. No lag at home. Maybe the effect is erased by my lower frame rate.
I imagine you don't have lag on GamesView, which doesn't have such big animation?

There isn't much I can do. I have ideas for future View with less video animation. Maybe they will work better for you!

On 10/29/2020 at 8:48 AM, viking said:

Unfortunately, I think this is not a bug, but a XAML limitation. (the code language)
The microsoft doc indicates that having large pixel movement can cause slowdowns. And for my theme, it is ALL the screen pixels that it must recalculate during the animation.
My concept is clearly not resource-efficient... ?

Aggravating factor: 1440p. You have more pixels to calculate than a 1080p.
I have the same resolution, but in 60hz. No lag at home. Maybe the effect is erased by my lower frame rate.
I imagine you don't have lag on GamesView, which doesn't have such big animation?

There isn't much I can do. I have ideas for future View with less video animation. Maybe they will work better for you!

Thank you for the reply! and thank you so much for the theme! I don't mind that it skips I just thought I'd share in case it was causing other issues. I'm excited for the future view. Thanks again!

I like the cleanliness of this theme. I prefer the  list of games so I can scroll through more easily when there are hundreds (or even thousands) of games in a platform.

However; I would like a little more information on this screen if possible without cluttering it.

Since this is a playlist of my favourite games it has many different platforms.

Would it be possible to have an option to either:

-Add a system logo

OR

-Add scrolling or static information showing some basic information such as:

Platform / #Players /  Playmode

I guess some of that can be added to the area in Green where you show the Genre? Perhaps this can be made to scroll?

Untitled.png

Hi, hoping someone can offer assistance. For my PlatformWheel2FiltersView, it's not changing the background colour to match the corresponding video. See below for example of Atari. Every console has this issue. Everything else works fine. Note: I have tried both updating via the bigbox theme manager and via downloading from here (definitely unblocked zip file). I"m running on the latest version of Launchbox and v1.0 of Colorful - LIght (both dark and light exhibit the same behaviour. Finally (and potentially most important) - i'm running my launchbox set up from a NAS. Though strange that everything else works in the theme except the changing of the background colour. Thanks, this is my favourite theme.

image.thumb.png.ae1bcb25df239e09f64baef99607f443.png

Edited by matris

On 11/1/2020 at 10:02 AM, turbofeet said:

I like the cleanliness of this theme. I prefer the  list of games so I can scroll through more easily when there are hundreds (or even thousands) of games in a platform.

However; I would like a little more information on this screen if possible without cluttering it.

Since this is a playlist of my favourite games it has many different platforms.

Would it be possible to have an option to either:

-Add a system logo

OR

-Add scrolling or static information showing some basic information such as:

Platform / #Players /  Playmode

I guess some of that can be added to the area in Green where you show the Genre? Perhaps this can be made to scroll?

Untitled.png

The problem is that this view is split into 2 views. The one you present here and the view after game selection, just before "play".
So I have to make a design choice : Only few people use this simple textListView for select a game, but everyone ends up on the selected game screen.
So I built my design on this objective: The view of the selected game.

But your ideas are good. I write them down and think about how to integrate them.
On the other hand, the "empty" space at the top is not lost. It is reserved for the very long game title, because it develops from the top. ?

10 minutes ago, matris said:

Hi, hoping someone can offer assistance. For my PlatformWheel2FiltersView, it's not changing the background colour to match the corresponding video. See below for example of Atari. Every console has this issue. Everything else works fine. Note: I have tried both updating via the bigbox theme manager and via downloading from here (definitely unblocked zip file). I"m running on the latest version of Launchbox and v1.0 of Colorful - LIght (both dark and light exhibit the same behaviour. Finally (and potentially most important) - i'm running my launchbox set up from a NAS. Though strange that everything else works in the theme except the changing of the background colour. Thanks, this is my favourite theme.

image.thumb.png.ae1bcb25df239e09f64baef99607f443.png

The paltform depending colors are integrated into my theme by a @eatkinola plugin. It doesn't seem to work here.
Please check:

1. Right clic on :  "LaunchBox\Themes\Colorful - Light\Plugins\ Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a.dll"  and clic Propriety. Is there an "unblock" check mark? If so, unlock it.
  2. Are you using Grilla's "Tracker" plugin?   If so, try to stop it.
  3. If nothing works, it's probably a problem with network usage. But no idea why or how!

21 hours ago, viking said:

The paltform depending colors are integrated into my theme by a @eatkinola plugin. It doesn't seem to work here.
Please check:

1. Right clic on :  "LaunchBox\Themes\Colorful - Light\Plugins\ Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7a.dll"  and clic Propriety. Is there an "unblock" check mark? If so, unlock it.
  2. Are you using Grilla's "Tracker" plugin?   If so, try to stop it.
  3. If nothing works, it's probably a problem with network usage. But no idea why or how!

Thanks for the reply!
1. Yeah I had definitely checked that, also checked again, does not say blocked or anything. 
2. Interesting, I actually AM using that plugin - so this got me excited. I deleted it completely, restarted/refreshed caches a few times, but still didn't work *sad face*.
3. RE the plug in. I had similar issues with the Bannerbox theme. It ended up being an issue with the way the plugin was forming path names when assembling them internally.  Could it be  similar thing here @eatkinola?

Hello guys, this theme is amazing.

For every game detail, is it possible to use a screenshot instead of a video as a background?

(video are so heavy and I can't find as many as screenshots...)

Thanks!

How would I go about changing the colors for custom playlists/platforms?

I created playlists which display as platforms for arcade based on major publishers, named for example Konami Arcade, Capcom Arcade, Midway  Arcade, etc..

The problem is they all have grey on the left where its supposed to match the video, and green for the highlight color.

EDIT:

Also I notice a crt scanline overlay in the theme resources but I don't see it used anywhere. Is there a way to enable this for the gameplay videos?

Edited by tjwoosta

This is by far the cleanest theme i have seen yet, please keep this project going even if a donation is required for your efforts. Thank you.

Hello there.

Have been using your theme for quite a while and everything is just plain awesome. Couldn' t be happier with the overall asthetics and design.

Today I have added another platform - Microsoft Xbox 360. Weirdly enough, the game view screen doesn't show up like all the other screens... I'm a little bit puzzled and couldn't find a solution.

Any help would be again very much appreciated.

Thanks for all your effort you put into this great project, mate!

Matt

Screenshot (4).png

2 hours ago, williambroad said:

Hello there.

Have been using your theme for quite a while and everything is just plain awesome. Couldn' t be happier with the overall asthetics and design.

Today I have added another platform - Microsoft Xbox 360. Weirdly enough, the game view screen doesn't show up like all the other screens... I'm a little bit puzzled and couldn't find a solution.

Any help would be again very much appreciated.

Thanks for all your effort you put into this great project, mate!

Matt

Screenshot (4).png

Hi @williambroad. From the screenshot it looks like you are just viewing one of the wall views, instead of one of the colorful views. If you bind a keyboard or controller key to "Switch View" (found in Options > Keyboard or Controller Mappings), you can cycle through the different view options until you reach one that you like.

Could also turn off "different views per platform" in the options so that all platforms are always the same view.

Thank you both very much. That did the trick. Never had that view before which is why it looked so weird to me. But wasn't that hard after all... and yes... different views turned off.

God, I love that theme! ? Can't wait to put everything on my Steam Deck...

Matt

Love the theme, a quick question which might be simple but so far I've been unable to do it. On the box art when you select a game is it possible to change to use 3D box art and not the standard 2D ones?

4 hours ago, Wol666 said:

Love the theme, a quick question which might be simple but so far I've been unable to do it. On the box art when you select a game is it possible to change to use 3D box art and not the standard 2D ones?

The simplest way for you to do this would be to change your image priorities, found in the LaunchBox options.

Within Box Front Priorities, you will want to move Box - 3D to the top of the list.

image.thumb.png.dc8a193251939156c0729d93862ca147.png

• Thanks 1

@Wol666 Yes you can.

1. Find the file that corresponds to the view you want to modify. (see download page)
  2. For example, take:   WheelGamesView.xaml
  3. Open it with a simple text editor.  (Like NotePad++)
  4. Find the "COVER BOX ART"   (here, line 900)
  5. Replace this part :      Source="{Binding ActiveGame.FrontImagePath}"
  6. With :                            Source="{Binding Path=ActiveGame.Box3DImagePath}"

If I don't say stupid things, it must work! 

• Like 1

Thank you for the swift responses, whilst I have you when the game box art appears it fades in and then fades out again, is there a timer in the script for this I'd like it stay visable for a little longer before fading away.