LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

Okay I tested this with both platform and the game ticked and the platform didn't work but when I went down and navigated to that platform it did start on the game that I had lasted played so it is working on the game level just not on the platform level for me if I use the Exit option on my controller.

What I'd really prefer over remembering the last platform, is just to be able to set a default startup platform. I just wanted to use 'remember last platform' as a way to try to start on the platform I want to start on since this option does not exist. 

It would be better to me if the setting was just changed to specifying what platform you want to start on. I'm not sure how many people actually want 'remember last platform' as opposed to a default startup platform.

On 21/1/2017 at 2:54 PM, WolfRamiO said:

@Jason Carr OK... i cant stand the poor perfomance of bigbox on my htpc anymore... BUT!!! its only happend in custom themes, i think they use more resources than the default official theme, also i dont really like the default one (its look too messy... just my personal opnion)... i open a ticket here: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/2379/minimal-official-theme-for-low-resources i hope this dont mean too much work for you and you can make it real :D

BTW: when you change themes on bigbox, you still need restart the app to fully apply the theme, i still suggest to put a dialog asking you to "Restart".

@Jason Carr 

7 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

@Jason Carr :( Just updated to newest beta, but still got a crash with both WMP and VLC:

Version 7.6-beta-1

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I may just go the route of encoding the MP3s into the videos themselves... just doesn't sound very appealing :P. Not really sure if this is a very widespread issue for people or not, so maybe it's something specific with my system setup/background processes... I have no idea; just stabbing in the dark.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work on the platform! I still love the software; even if this feature is giving me some crashtastic times!

Maybe we're looking at this from the wrong angle? How are your MP3's and video encoded? What kind of codecs do you have installed on your machine? If Jason has made several changes now hoping to be related, he could have either not have found it or the problem lies in a completely different area that hasn't been found out. A combination of video and audio is doing this, so I say we inspect those two items. Like, a combination of audio, video and software installed is causing a crash. Has a fresh install of Big Box also been tested?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

Maybe we're looking at this from the wrong angle? How are your MP3's and video encoded? What kind of codecs do you have installed on your machine? If Jason has made several changes now hoping to be related, he could have either not have found it or the problem lies in a completely different area that hasn't been found out. A combination of video and audio is doing this, so I say we inspect those two items. Like, a combination of audio, video and software installed is causing a crash. Has a fresh install of Big Box also been tested?

From all we've seen I also suspect it might have to do with the file encoding. @CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT and me had these issues, but if I'm not mistaken, we encoded some files (the music) ourselves, so that might be causing the issue. If someone could try to test these issues with music that's already on the database, we could see if the issue is still replicated. I won't be available to test this until the weekend.

Our Database doesn't have music, but EmuMovies does, that could be the baseline since we know that audio works. As a matter of fact, both the audio and video should probably be grabbed from there, and to make double sure install this codec pack. If it gives any errors during install that it wants to fix, say yes and let the installer fix them. With these 3 things checked, try using Windows Media Player first then VLC (the codec pack has more of an effect on WMP, though it still can effect VLC). Past that, try a clean install of LB/BB and or a different PC. That is what I can think of that might flush out this issue the most. If one of these things works, it can also give Jason good info for where the crash may be related instead of almost poking around blind.

• Like 1

So wait does opening a game in LB now hide the taskbar as well as BigBox that is what I'm seeing and then LB is stealing focus from the game every time. Also when I close the game and the task bar returns I have to minimize LB before I can access anything from the taskbar the little preview view pops up but clicking on it won't take you to that window. It seems like LB is in an always on top mode as soon as it is minimized the taskbar goes back to normal but while in focus it won't change. I'm on Windows 10 but the latest insider preview version.

Edited by DOS76

I don't have my HTPC in the Fast Ring (if it acts up at all with Kodi betas or the core OS my partner gets very frustrated) so it's pretty stable. The only taskbar issue I've had (on LB 7.5) was exiting BigBox and the taskbar stayed hidden. It turns out that the Big Box process was still running, but even after force-killing the process and reloading explorer.exe the taskbar didn't come back. I had to reboot to get things working normally. I updated to the new beta this morning and checked the box to leave the taskbar unhidden since I never had a problem with focus or anything. Tonight I hope to get enough time to try opening and closing BB numerous times to see how it behaves.

• Like 1

@SentaiBrad, @Manuel Leiria

Most of the music and video I have does come from the EmuMovies FTP or from the Downloads page for the theme videos for games. For games I can't find music/movies for, I record my own video clips with Shadow Play and record music clips with Audacity. I haven't encoded very many MP3s into the MP4s (was just something I tried when I first started adding a music collection to LB and was getting the crashes and noticed the crashing stopped once I did this). I already have the K-Lite Codec installed since I need it for WEBM content to play in WMP.

I will try installing LB/BB onto a different PC, start with Manuel's suggestion on importing a handful of games into it that only have content from EmuMovies downloaded. I'll build on it from there and test it over the weekend. Should have something to report back by Sunday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oilertitanfan said:

When I'm in a game while Big box is running it is still using my controller buttons after I load an emulator. This happens with multiple emulators form what I'm testing today

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

We've heard recently that Steam (particularly the betas) has been causing this for some people because their new controller stuff is broken. Do you have Steam running?