LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

Thought I would try setting VLC again in regular LB to see if LB would not crash anymore in 7.0 after uncompressing games like for Dreamcast/Demul, but it still crashes LB on the transition from finishing the unzip part to the launch of emulator and game in full screen (not an issue in BB, just in normal LB). So, I still have to use Windows Media Player in LB or LB will crash when I start most games.  :(

Thanks guys, I will review these issues soon. @smpetty So few changes were made between the official release and the last couple betas that it doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't be solid when the betas were. Can you try temporarily removing the extra hardware you added to see if it makes any difference? Otherwise I'm thoroughly confused.

44 minutes ago, ckp said:

Thought I would try setting VLC again in regular LB to see if LB would not crash anymore in 7.0 after uncompressing games like for Dreamcast/Demul, but it still crashes LB on the transition from finishing the unzip part to the launch of emulator and game in full screen (not an issue in BB, just in normal LB). So, I still have to use Windows Media Player in LB or LB will crash when I start most games.  :(

Can you give me as many details on this as possible, so I can replicate it? Are you using Rocket Launcher?

2 hours ago, Pacman56 said:

I just installed and tested the official release of LaunchBox / BigBox 7.0 and noticed delays when scrolling through games in BigBox which didn't exist in 6.10.

When moving from game to game using the arrow keys, a delay of 1-2 second frequently takes place which ruins the experience.

This problem is quite noticeable when choosing a platform that contains a large amount of metadata such as my Arcade.xml which consist of 6199 games but is of a considerable size: 28.1MB.

My problem was reproduced on a clean instance of LB/BB which did not contain images, music, videos, etc. which rules that out.

After doing more testing, I found that doing a bulk edit of the Notes field using LB and clearing the value solved the problem. The delay has completely disappeared. However, clearing the notes field is not a solution. 

Arcade.7z

Maybe it's related to the scrolling notes? What happens if you disable scrolling the notes but keep them @Pacman56?

Thank you @keltoigael, and also thank you for letting me use a prerelease version of your video for the announcement vid. I didn't realize that the theme wouldn't be live yet unfortunately when I recorded it, but I put a comment in saying that it's coming. :)

If anyone is able to replicate either @ckp's or @Pacman56's issues, please let me know. If we have more than one person experiencing the issue, it'll be easier to figure out how to fix it.

Sure @Jason Carr, I have before but rather than try to find that thread...

My LB will crash when launching various games from various emulators for some that require the 7zip unzip process. I am using only LB and not RL or anything else for these emulators/games, such as Dreamcast Demul games. My Demul games in in .rar format with .bin, .raw, .gdi inside.

My games launch fullscreen. 

My Demul is set like this (although it's not just with Demul):

..\Arcade\Emulators\Demule\demul32-0.5.8.2\demul.exe

checkbox for no space before rom and extract rom.

Where I double click a game in this Dreamcast platform from regular LB (works fine with VLC in BB), LB will run 7z.exe to unzip. As soon as that is done, the Demul emulator starts up and launches the game, but at that very time LB crashes. Every time it's like this when using VLC setting. But Media player has no such issue.

And of course since LB crashes, the unzipped game files are left for me to manually clean up in the unzip folder inside LB.

Win 10 x64 with all updates. It's been like this ever since I first bought and started using LB several versions back.

For my LB view, when I select a game, it shows the video on the right bar along with screenshots, boxes, etc.

My Dreamcast videos are .mp4.

I have all .NET Frameworks and updates installed.

Win 10 logs this in Event Viewer:

.net runtime:

Application: LaunchBox.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00000000748E9C17

Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 7.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58542eef
Faulting module name: libvlccore.dll, version: 2.2.2.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000079c17
Faulting process id: 0x10cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d257f5acdfe333
Faulting application path: R:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: R:\LaunchBox\VLC\x64\libvlccore.dll
Report Id: 510f67df-c786-4131-9c94-ef09ec1caa74
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Edit: and i run LB window maximized.

Edited by ckp

Hi Jason.

I tested the official V.7 and the left sidebar Platforms view not sorting issue with LaunchBox ever since the Category feature was added is still there.

With Game Counts enabled, here is how Platform sorting displays for me with various combinations of the ALL, NONE and EXISTS options:

With ALL, NONE and EXISTS all disabled - platform sorting is correct.
With ALL, NONE and EXISTS all enabled - platform sorting is correct.

With any one of these three options enabled and the other two disabled - platform sorting is incorrect.
For example, with ALL enabled and both NONE and EXISTS disabled.

With any two of these three options enabled and the third one disabled - platform sorting is correct.
For example, with both ALL and EXISTS enabled and NONE disabled.

With Game Counts disabled, then all of the above combinations of ALL, NONE and EXISTS will sort platforms correctly.

Thank you @ckp and @spycat; we'll take a look at those bugs in the live stream on Monday morning.

@jadekitten That usually just means that there is an app on your system that is for some reason using that file and won't release it. It could be a file syncing app like Dropbox, or LaunchBox itself, if for some reason it didn't close. I would call it a fluke, yes; probably not worth much research.

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I don't believe anything changed recently that should affect Rocket Launcher or focusing the window. I could be wrong, of course, but maybe it's something with the Rocket Launcher configuration?

I find the problem coming from the switching mapping in Rocket Launcher. I find a solution...I format win7 and go to win 10 and it's work :)

Edited by salyangel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks guys, I will review these issues soon. @smpetty So few changes were made between the official release and the last couple betas that it doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't be solid when the betas were. Can you try temporarily removing the extra hardware you added to see if it makes any difference? Otherwise I'm thoroughly confused.

Hi Jason -

The problem was related to the Mayflash Wii Bar, specifically with the bar set in mode 4.  It was grabbing all of the controller assignments and causing Retroarch and other emulators to crash or otherwise misbehave.  I'm sorry for the false alarm.  I put LB v7.0 through the paces after switching the Mayflash Wii Bar from mode 4 to mode 1 and it worked perfectly.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by smpetty
  • Like 1

@Jason Carr  I still having the same issue since you added in the faster startup time of BigBox. The issue I am having is right after startup of BigBox if I scroll to my MAME platform on the wheel it will not even let me press enter to enter into the platform or show the mame video until BB has been running for about 5 to 6 seconds like it is still parsing through the mame xml after startup and then everything starts working normal. Again this only happens with the mame platform upon startup. On another note everything works fine in BigBox default view. I noticed this happens in the more graphic intensive themes like CriticalZone and even more so with Futurestate. My CPU is no slouch as it is a i5 4690K GTX970 with, 16GB Ram so it should handle it with ease. The main differences I notice between those themes and the default theme that make them more intensive is the added background video but if if I remove that, it still performs the same.

I wonder why everything works normal in the default theme?I bet you being the code jedi master could put or reccomend some optimizations in the more popular graphic intensive themes especially since CriticalZone comes packaged with BigBox now?;)

Edit: Looks like I figured out the issue with this. It was my platforms.xml file. I deleted it and let LaunchBox create another one and this issue does not happen anymore. I looked through the platforms.xml before I deleted it and the information was all over the place and not correct. I actually think this issue has been going on and happened when the xml files got split into seperate xml files. I noticed that info gets saved in different locations now in the platform.xml file than the one I deleted.

• Like 2