LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

53 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

er the scrolling notes, we discovered that they were causing some major delays when long notes were displayed in Big Box. It was the dynamic width calculations that were automatically being done by the XAML that were causing the delays. The solution isn't perfect because we're basically using a percentage width of the screen now instead of a proper dynamic calculation, so let me know if anyone is seeing incorrect widths for scrolling notes.

@Jason Carr I just updated to 7.1-beta-1, re-enabled "Scroll Notes" and "Scroll Details" under Game Details, navigated back to Arcade (which as you know contains lengthy notes) and started scrolling through the games list. The delay has completely disappeared. :D

I'm very grateful for this update. I can't tank you enough. See you soon on the live stream!

• Like 2

happy birthday Neil,  i remember when i hit 40 , i stood in front of the mirror then got a second mirror to check the top of my head, to see if my hair was still intact, luckily now i shave my head so know one will know when i go bald lol

Edited by billyc999
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately I can't seem to replicate it to save my life. Can you list out all the emulators that seem to be causing it? Is it every emulator that unzips files? Also, does it happen every single time or is it random?

@Jason Carr

It is not 100% of the time. Just very often. If I launch the same exact game over and over, sometimes LB will not crash.

Demul and Dolphin zipped games for sure. I can always make it happen. It's more rare that it doesn't crash LB.

I haven't tried any other emulators because 2 were enough for me to see that I needed to disable VLC. It never happens at all with the same exact games when I have Win Media Player set.

I wish I could give you more info, but I can reproduce it at will if you need me to run a debug launchbox.exe 

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

@emko I will be adding something in eventually to better deal with duplicate images, yes. We'll probably use a combination of a few things, including a checksum algorithm of sorts. 

I would like this functionality. I have duplicate images in many places now. 

The best option would probably be not to create any duplicate images in the first place (but removing duplicate images would be useful too). 

Checksums would be great. If there were checksums with every image in the games db (I don't know about Emumovies), unnecessary images wouldn't even need to be downloaded (saving time and bandwidth).  

Are there any existing algorithms that can find duplicates by analyzing the actual images?

Is there a feature requests on BitBucket that I can vote for?

Alright, another new beta is out with hopeful fixes for a couple of issues. @kmoney I'm hoping this fixes the stack trace you posted on the previous page. @ckp I still couldn't replicate it, but I added code to pause the video *before* starting the 7-zip process, so if we're lucky, that will fix it. Let me know guys (though I know @kmoney's stack trace was probably rare to begin with).

37 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Hi @Jason Carr,you streaming tomorrow as usual? Just checking, I turned 39 today, and my head is spinning a bit to much vodka!!, lol love it. I think I remember you saying "work up to Christmas" but then take a well deserved break? 

Yup, planning to stream tomorrow fixing more bugs. Next week is up in the air though. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright guys, as I stated above, the first 7.1 beta is out. Here's the changelog so far:

- Improvement: Resolved some performance issues with scrolling notes in Big Box

- Improvement: Added a new VideoControl for Big Box custom themes (for more flexible use of custom video backgrounds and such)

- Improvement: Changed the Documentation.pdf file to reflect the Big Box custom themes changes and additions for 7.0 and 7.1

Per the scrolling notes, we discovered that they were causing some major delays when long notes were displayed in Big Box. It was the dynamic width calculations that were automatically being done by the XAML that were causing the delays. The solution isn't perfect because we're basically using a percentage width of the screen now instead of a proper dynamic calculation, so let me know if anyone is seeing incorrect widths for scrolling notes.

The new VideoControl element was built for themes that currently use a MediaElement (such as @CriticalCid's CriticalZone theme to display the background video). The new control will properly switch between VLC and WMP per the user's settings which should result in some performance improvements since only one engine is used instead of two (at least when using VLC). Performance is better even on my souped up machine, so that's a win. However, theme creators will need to update their themes to use this new element; it won't happen automatically. The new element will also not be available in any previous versions, so it will require the beta. However, we hope to put out the official 7.1 version very soon. Documentation on the new VideoControl is available in the updated Documentation.pdf file. :)

I will look at this and hopefully be able to update Futurestate soon.

As a side note I noticed that VLC causes a green bar on the bottom of some videos it plays. VLC is known to cause the issue as explained in this post is explained here https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=130655

8 minutes ago, Norfair said:

I would like this functionality. I have duplicate images in many places now. 

The best option would probably be not to create any duplicate images in the first place (but removing duplicate images would be useful too). 

Checksums would be great. If there were checksums with every image in the games db (I don't know about Emumovies), unnecessary images wouldn't even need to be downloaded (saving time and bandwidth).  

Are there any existing algorithms that can find duplicates by analyzing the actual images?

Is there a feature requests on BitBucket that I can vote for?

Haven't looked/searched, so I'm not sure if there's a ticket yet. Haven't yet done any research on algorithms, either, so I'm not sure as to best approaches at this point.

@Jason Carr With the newest beta I am noticing some awesome speed improvements especially when transitioning between videos or themes as there is almost zero delay. I have been testing Futurestate and CriticalZone and the speed improvements are very obvious in both themes. Great job!!

Although I did get this different error while scrolling through the platforms one time while using Futurestate:

Version 7.1-beta-2

System.ArgumentException: The root Visual of a VisualTarget cannot have a parent.

at System.Windows.Media.CompositionTarget.SetRootVisual(Visual visual)

at System.Windows.Media.CompositionTarget.set_RootVisual(Visual value)

at (VisualTargetPresentationSource , Visual )

at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.VisualTargetPresentationSource.set_RootVisual(Visual value)

at (<>c__DisplayClass32_0 )

at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.ThreadSeparatedImage.<>c__DisplayClass32_0.<LoadThreadSeparatedControl>b__0()

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)

at (<>c )

at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.ThreadSeparatedImage.<>c.<get_CommonDispatcher>b__2_0()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

1 hour ago, billyc999 said:

happy birthday Neil,  i remember when i hit 40 , i stood in front of the mirror then got a second mirror to check the top of my head, to see if my hair was still intact, luckily now i shave my head so know one will know when i go bald lol

Thanks @billyc999, lol my problem is I have WAY TO MUCH HAIR!!! Its everywhere!!!

• Like 1