LaunchBox Community Forums

8.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

You're the first person I've actually been able to talk to about any issues with the update. My guess is it's more of an issue with a driver conflict or something like that than an issue with LaunchBox, but it would still be good to figure out exactly what's going on. Can you explain the black screens? Where are you seeing them? And where are you seeing the freezes?

Generally, we're not seeing any issues at all for the vast majority of people. That said, we have had a couple of reports of problems, though I expect that they're more likely Microsoft bugs on certain hardware configurations than anything else. My recommendation at this point is to go ahead and upgrade, as the chance that you're going to run into any issues is very slim, and you can always revert if necessary.

I'm sorry if my post implied that I was having problems with LaunchBox with the new Windows update. LaunchBox is fine. I am getting Random freezes and black screens that effect the whole desktop. Mouse pointer can still be moved around though; which is weird.

• Like 1

Just now, EyeQue said:

I'm sorry if my post implied that I was having problems with LaunchBox with the new Windows update. LaunchBox is fine. I am getting Random freezes and black screens that effect the whole desktop. Mouse pointer can still be moved around though; which is weird.

Oh, ha. Good to know, thanks @EyeQue. :)

@Jason Carr The new Retroarch implementation doesn't allow for custom configs as it only has a drop down box now. Can you please add the ability to fill in the "core" with whatever the user wants? I use one core for multiple systems, each with their own config. While my current systems are unaffected (they show up in the drop down with config info), I cannot add any new systems with the new implementation.

Untitled.thumb.png.50991b6bf834002335a3e86ce07083fd.png

6 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

@Omen I believe I saw that mentioned earlier in the thread and Jason did mention leaving a parameters column in there to allow for adding those parameters. So it should be coming.

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

@OmenI already reported this and Jason is aware now we are waiting on the fix

Thanks guys :) I should have searched first, it's been a hectic day.

Hi Jason, just got this error in Launchbox Next when starting a game.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.3-beta-2
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void (<>c__DisplayClass190_2)
Source:  LaunchBox.Next

at (<>c__DisplayClass190_2 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Next.ViewModels.GameDetailsViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass190_2.<AttachView>b__8()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (Action , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (<>c__DisplayClass190_0 , Object , SizeChangedEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Next.ViewModels.GameDetailsViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass190_0.<AttachView>b__1(Object sender, SizeChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnRenderSizeChanged(SizeChangedInfo sizeInfo)
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireSizeChangedEvents()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(Object arg)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

4:27:48 PM Music.Pause Start
   4:30:07 PM Music.Pause Start
   4:30:07 PM Exception

• Like 1

I'm getting this error when I try open an emulator in the Manage Emulators window.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.3-beta-2
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void (Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.EmulatorForm)
Source:  LaunchBox

at (EmulatorForm )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.EmulatorForm.AddCoresFromApplicationStartupPath()
   at (EmulatorForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.EmulatorForm.field_Changed(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Text(String value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.set_Text(String value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.set_Text(String value)
   at (EmulatorForm )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.EmulatorForm.LoadValues()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.EmulatorForm.EmulatorForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

1:52:50 PM Music.Pause Start
   1:52:50 PM Music.Prepare Start
   1:52:50 PM Music.Kill Start
   1:52:50 PM Music.Kill Finished
   1:52:50 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   1:52:50 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   1:53:18 PM Exception

• Like 1

Beta 3 is out now guys with hopeful fixes for the above issues, as well as the ability to add custom command lines for Retroarch cores again. The drop down column will handle the core selection, and you can add any extra command line options in the command line column. The dialog should properly split up your existing commands to accommodate the new columns.

I will admit that I haven't tested this beta as much as usual (because it's late and I'm tired lol), so fair warning there, but I wanted to get this beta out to resolve the above issues. Let me know how it fares. :)

• Like 2

I haven't installed the beta yet, as I prefer to stick to stable releases on my main retro gaming machine.  However I have a question related to the drop down selection for retroarch cores.  Is this a set list that you have populated, or can we add cores as needed?  I see above you mention that you added a section to add command lines, but that the cores would still be selected from the drop down.  My concern would be if it's a set drop down list for the cores, and new cores are added, we will not be able to use them until you add them to the drop down list.

Just looking for clarification if possible on the drop-down functionality is all :) Thx

No problem, when I just checked my dropdown menu it's showing files that I have in the /cores folder that aren't actually cores, such as a zip file backup of an older Mame 185 core and an exe file that generates extra Genesis GX cores for the other systems it emulates like the Game Gear and Master System.

2018-05-07 17_30_30-.png