LaunchBox Community Forums

8.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, wirtual82 said:

Yes, but let's be clear. Complaining is not insulting? I might be complaining but not insulting anyone here. If you feel insulted, then you might have a problem with some "good thoughts", feedback, or any objective criticism. 

I am human, and LaunchBox is my passion. So yes, I take criticism very seriously. It ends here or there will be consequences, because I just don't need the negativity in my day; I'd rather spend my time being productive and developing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I haven't, though that's a good reminder. I'll add it to the shortlist (though admittedly it's likely to be a challenge to solve).

Thanks @Jason Carr, I know it's not a top priority but thought I'd mention it while we were on the subject of the pdf reader. Keep up the good work :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Keyboards are stupid in that the + and - keys to the left of the Backspace key are different than the + and - keys on the numpad. It's expecting the keys from the numpad, though I know this is confusing. Not sure if there's an easy fix, but I'll check it out.

Ok, sounds good... I actually haven't had a num pad on a keyboard for some time.

• Like 1

@Jason Carr
"
You mean the item from the poll? It's on the radar of course but we haven't started it yet. :)"

The problem is that my children or my friends, when they start a game, repeatedly press the start button of the game. So while the game starts with a retroarch, the Launchbox reappears again, and then again retroarch. If while the Launchbox reappears, the start button is pressed again, two instances will start. This is a very serious fault.
Then you are free to assign a low priority to this (which for me) is a very serious flaw.

Thank you

For the most part things get added to the priority list based on popularity determined by the polls. This one was #4 on the last poll so it will get done when it gets done. Right now the new rebuild of Launchbox which will make other features easier to implement is the priority and harping on this issue will not make it happen any faster.

• Like 4

Well said Lordmonkus. Some people on here (thankfully very few) just need to learn to be a bit more patient. It's Jason's software, and he and he alone ultimately gets to decide what he works on next. Let's just be thankful that he is as open and consultative as he is - he sets a very high bar in my view in terms of developers. 

I for one can't wait to see where LaunchBox and BigBox go in the next 1 to 2 years. It's very exciting - and so thank you to Jason and to everyone else involved in the community contributing to themes, videos, images, Database and general help etc. for everything you're doing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

For the most part things get added to the priority list based on popularity determined by the polls. This one was #4 on the last poll so it will get done when it gets done. Right now the new rebuild of Launchbox which will make other features easier to implement is the priority and harping on this issue will not make it happen any faster.

Wait . 
This is not a "NEW FEATURE" , this is a bug of an existing feature.

46 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

People being impatient is tantamount to a bug?

I was the first to report to Jason to insert this feature that originally was not in the launchbox, after introducing it I was hoping for an improvement in short times. Do you know how much time has passed?

I don't really know how much time has passed but I have suggested things also and they haven't made it in but that is okay as they are just suggestions and Jason can add what he wants when he wants to, so if a feature I suggest never makes it in then there isn't any issue to me as I don't have any expectations that he has to add something because I say so. It sounds like your children just have to be patient and learn from their mistake of spamming the button instead of just repeating the same mistake over and over again. 

• Like 1

I've put in feature requests literally multiple years ago that aren't in yet. So what?

You and your friends and your children should maybe try having just a hint of patience. How difficult is it to just press a button once? God help you if you ever had to use a disk drive on a C64 back in the day, sometimes doing little to nothing for multiple minutes at a time *insert crotchety old man voice here*

In the grand scheme of things, inhibiting people's inexplicable compunction to repeatedly smash the ever living hell out of the start button really doesn't need to be the highest thing on the priority list. It'll get put in at some point. Until then, press the button and give it two seconds. You'll be fine, I promise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dov_EL said:

Wait . 
This is not a "NEW FEATURE" , this is a bug of an existing feature.

Personally I do not know if I would call this a bug. It is no different than double clicking the Retroarch.exe multiple times and getting multiple instances running. Sure would not go to the RA forum and claim it is a bug and ask them to fix. However, if this is something Jason said he would look into and see if he can prevent it from occurring that just exemplifies why the software if getting better and better. To have a developer who would do that and if it was not high on his priority list I would just be thankful he is at least considering it. Just being honest here. 

16 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Personally I do not know if I would call this a bug. It is no different than double clicking the Retroarch.exe multiple times and getting multiple instances running.

It didn't start literally a fraction of a second within the time you double-clicked it, so clearly it's broken. My computer doesn't boot within 1 second of pressing the power button, I better call Microsoft.

toronto_mayor_rob_ford_171431113-576x385

At this point continuing to go on and on about it is just beating an already long-dead horse. The first time was fine, but you're not telling Jason or anybody else anything they don't already know at this point. Assume that it'll happen at some point and move on.

Personally, if it were me that had to implement it, and I kept seeing someone go on and on about it that would make me less inclined to actually do it, not more, but that's just me.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I've put in feature requests literally multiple years ago that aren't in yet. So what?

You and your friends and your children should maybe try having just a hint of patience. How difficult is it to just press a button once? God help you if you ever had to use a disk drive on a C64 back in the day, sometimes doing little to nothing for multiple minutes at a time *insert crotchety old man voice here*

In the grand scheme of things, inhibiting people's inexplicable compunction to repeatedly smash the ever living hell out of the start button really doesn't need to be the highest thing on the priority list. It'll get put in at some point. Until then, press the button and give it two seconds. You'll be fine, I promise.

forget about the C64 disk drive ZOM, you try using the tape player! I remember some games taking 30+ minutes to load

1 minute ago, y2guru said:

forget about the C64 disk drive ZOM, you try using the tape player! I remember some games taking 30+ minutes to load

Yep! I remember always keeping comic books nearby as a distraction haha

We were lucky enough to have an Epyx Fastload cartridge which helped, but it certainly didn't eliminate the long wait times. I remember GI Joe being pretty excruciating.

Sorry /derail

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dov_EL said:

I was the first to report to Jason to insert this feature that originally was not in the launchbox, after introducing it I was hoping for an improvement in short times. Do you know how much time has passed?

Make being patient your highest priority improvement. Let us all know when you implement that feature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zombeaver said:

Yep! I remember always keeping comic books nearby as a distraction haha

We were lucky enough to have an Epyx Fastload cartridge which helped, but it certainly didn't eliminate the long wait times. I remember GI Joe being pretty excruciating.

Sorry /derail

I think I ordered and a grabbed a Chinese while I waited, thank goodness for Nova load when that was introduced.   Super Pipeline 2 was pretty bad

One thing I've noticed is that LB Next doesn't seem to remember the thumbnails. If I scroll right through a platform then it generates all thumbnails and further scrolling in that platform is no problem. If I switch platform and then go back however, it has to generate the thumbnails again. It's pretty quick to generate them, though it's not ideal and I'm wondering if this is expected behaviour?

• Thanks 1

It's all about how you bring it forward. 

I mean I have requested/hoped that a feature i wanted - (each theme being able to have unique image sets Covers and such) 

The unfortunate fact for me is that there's just not a huge demand although. I THINK that themes could be taken to a whole new level and themes that is designed with DVD style covers could have that for systems like the snes out having to replace everything. 

LOL I just snuck a reminder of my request in ?. but see no crazy demands or exceptions.  I don't think anyone minds people requesting stuff or once in a while trying to bring attention to something. It's all about how you do it ?. 

Good day

goodday.gif

• Like 1