LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr , i run a script in the background that does certain things only if either launchbox.exe OR bigbox.exe is running, but now BOTH run when I have bigbox.exe running. i think the new launchbox.exe -recovery process is the new feature you added to make sure the taskbar gets restored. i figured you were going to name it something else. any chance to change that?

also, i like having the taskbar not hidden for various reasons even when running bigbox.exe. is there a way to disable the hide taskbar functionality?

since i upgraded to 7.5, i noticed my BB platform wheel is very jumpy with hangups when scrolling the wheel. it never used to do that before as it was always smooth. i don't use any themes or anything just vertical platform wheel with nyny platform videos. also favorites and recent show on top of the platform video as i always had.

is there a setting that needs to be tweaked now to make it scroll smoother?

@Jason Carr with the stable being out I am a bit curious what is nex9_9t.  Any chance the Nested Filters will be seen soon?. 

BigBox would be the perfect app with that addition. 

PS this is in no way me complaining.  Bug fixing should always be a priority and the Audit thing is obviously loved by many so it's great that it was implemented.  

Edited by ALIE

Loving development of LB/BB as always. Just a thought for a future update--- while I'm really impressed with the various themes available for BB I find myself using the default most often since it gives me the ideal balance of pretty vs. practical.

The two things I'd like are a way to hide the game box art on the Game Details screen because I would like to show the game videos as backgrounds and the big box art in the center of the screen just doesn't work well with that aesthetic. On a related note, the background videos always stretch to fill the screen. Personally for videos that are 4:3 I'd prefer to have the black bars on the side instead of a distorted video. Just an idea for a couple checkboxes to add in the options.

• Like 1

All of those questions would be theme dependant. So @snarfo67 if I am understand you correctly, you'd just want the game video in the background as the focal point and maybe a clear logo to denote where in the list you are? The City Hunter theme has a view just like that which is why I got very specific. There are also a few new themes recently too, so it might just be searching for a theme and a view that caters the best, or asking one of the theme creators to add a new view to one of their themes.

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

All of those questions would be theme dependant. So @snarfo67 if I am understand you correctly, you'd just want the game video in the background as the focal point and maybe a clear logo to denote where in the list you are? The City Hunter theme has a view just like that which is why I got very specific. There are also a few new themes recently too, so it might just be searching for a theme and a view that caters the best, or asking one of the theme creators to add a new view to one of their themes.

Yeah, ideally for me (and I know that everyone's tastes are different) I like the standard vanilla view without clear logos so I can see more of the games list along with the game info blurb in the lower right side and a few of the things I have interest in (developer, publisher, release year, etc.) in the upper-right. That allows the video to be seen clearly with just a bit of relevant data overlayed. I've tried out several themes and their various viewing permutations, but maybe I missed the view in City Hunter--- thanks for the suggestion, I'll revisit it and see what I can come up with. Otherwise I'll just ask Jason to tweak the view to offer to hide the game box and maintain the video aspect ratio.

Well if you don't like Clear Logo's, than that City Hunter view might not be the one for you either. There is a view in there that all it is is a clear logo for the console (and I think for games too, assuming the game in your library has one), and the video for that platform or game. Those are the only two elements on that view. What you're asking for, I think exists, but not exactly the same way you want, and I for the life of me can't remember which theme it is. I want to say the Minimilistiac or Metallic Themes... but I honestly don't know.

If there are any theme developers with a theme that has a view like this, or could make a view like this, that would be pretty cool. I know @Jason Carr wants to add more features, but I think the hope is that themes and theme views end up taking care of all of that. It gets to be a giant list of features that can cause more problems than they are worth if everything is eventually just micromanaged in the settings. I think that might put some theme editors out too. :P Just my thought though, I am not sure exactly what Jason wants to add in regards to all of that.

@Jason Carr I've had a look to the theme code for my description not showing problem.

Viking use this block to show description of the game :

<Canvas x:Name="NotesCanvas" ClipToBounds="True" Grid.Column="1" Grid.Row="13" Grid.ColumnSpan="18" Grid.RowSpan="3" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Panel.ZIndex="101" >
                <controls:ScrollableTextBlock Name="ScrollingNotes" Text="{Binding Path=SelectedGame.Notes}" FontFamily="Segoe UI Semilight" TextAlignment="Justify" Foreground="#393a3b" TextWrapping="Wrap" Width="{Binding ElementName=NotesCanvas, Path=ActualWidth}" ScrollBeginDelay="3"
 ScrollSpeed="3" ScrollAutoReverse="True" ScrollEndDelay="3" ReverseScrollSpeed="0.5"
 ScrollDirection="Up" FontSize="30" />

But nowhere in the default theme nor in Critical Cid's Theme can I find a similar block Text="{Binding Path=SelectedGame.Notes}.

Edited by adu

Hi everybody, I honestly haven't read through everything here yet, but I wanted to ask if anyone is having any stability problems with 7.5. I woke up to a couple people reporting that LaunchBox and Big Box won't start, so I'm trying to gauge if it's some kind of really obscure issue, or if it's affecting a broad range of people.

hi @Jason Carr, here is what i already posted after upgrading to 7.5: 

i run a script in the background that does certain things only if either launchbox.exe OR bigbox.exe is running, but now BOTH run when I have bigbox.exe running. i think the new launchbox.exe -recovery process is the new feature you added to make sure the taskbar gets restored. i figured you were going to name it something else. any chance to change that?

also, i like having the taskbar not hidden for various reasons even when running bigbox.exe. is there a way to disable the hide taskbar functionality?

since i upgraded to 7.5, i noticed my BB platform wheel is very jumpy with hangups when scrolling the wheel. it never used to do that before as it was always smooth. i don't use any themes or anything just vertical platform wheel with nyny platform videos. also favorites and recent show on top of the platform video as i always had.

Edit: have not had any problems with launching or any new crashes.

Edited by ckp

@Jason Carr OK... i cant stand the poor perfomance of bigbox on my htpc anymore... BUT!!! its only happend in custom themes, i think they use more resources than the default official theme, also i dont really like the default one (its look too messy... just my personal opnion)... i open a ticket here: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/2379/minimal-official-theme-for-low-resources i hope this dont mean too much work for you and you can make it real :D

BTW: when you change themes on bigbox, you still need restart the app to fully apply the theme, i still suggest to put a dialog asking you to "Restart".

@Jason Carr I still get crashes. It acutally crashed in Attract Mode last night. I wasn't around to see the crash, but when I came back, it had crashed (Unfortunaely, the only thing on the screen was the same generic Windows crash dialogue I more frequently get, so no log for it).

Don't worry, you'll pinpoint it eventually!

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT

Thanks guys. From what I can tell, there are no big emergency issues with 7.5; most of the previous stuff I saw was a false alarm. Of course that's not to say there aren't any issues; we did run into the following two surprises:

- Startup videos aren't working on 32-bit machines (this was just me being stupid)

- Audits supposedly don't always show all games (probably an issue with the threading algorithm)

So I'll be looking at those issues shortly, as well as going through everything else in this thread. We'll probably put out a bugfix release in a week or so, but I don't plan to rush it out. Gonna take my time and keep focusing on bug fixes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ckp said:

since i upgraded to 7.5, i noticed my BB platform wheel is very jumpy with hangups when scrolling the wheel. it never used to do that before as it was always smooth. i don't use any themes or anything just vertical platform wheel with nyny platform videos. also favorites and recent show on top of the platform video as i always had.

This is puzzling to me as I don't think anything changed that should affect that. Is this a common experience for anyone else? I can't keep going back to the same old issues; what theme are you using @ckp? Have you tried rebooting, etc.?