LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

I think the problem is only if you use the RL "plugin" for LB front end. This is what is going to be updated. However, I never set my RL with the LB plugin, so I have never had any issue with LB running games through RL, even in LB 6.10. I'm not actually sure what you get by using the LB plugin setting in RL.

I googled around a bit. I "think" having the plugin lets the RL ui populate systems that have been add to LB.

Since I already have all the systems and emulators in my RL, I guess this wasn't important, so never needed to set the plugin.

Anyway, I'd rather keep one less component out of the equation and simply not use RL at all anymore. So far so good just using LB as the front end and launcher.

10 hours ago, ckp said:

I googled around a bit. I "think" having the plugin lets the RL ui populate systems that have been add to LB.

Since I already have all the systems and emulators in my RL, I guess this wasn't important, so never needed to set the plugin.

Anyway, I'd rather keep one less component out of the equation and simply not use RL at all anymore. So far so good just using LB as the front end and launcher.

Yes it is exactly that. The plugin simply lets RLUI read the systems that you have so it can populate them in its interface as well as pull media from its folders for things such as fade screens, pause, etc. 

If you use RL and already had all the systems setup from a different frontend then there is technically no need to have it working to get the systems to launch and play fine.

• Like 2

LB will be added to Windows Store?

Apps built using the Desktop Bridge now available in the Windows Store!

A few months ago, during Build 2016, we announced the Desktop Bridge, enabling developers to bring their existing desktop apps and games over to the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) by converting their app or game with the Desktop App Converter and then enhancing and extending it with UWP functionality. This then enables the path to gradually migrate the app or game to reach all Windows 10 devices over time, including phones, Xbox One and HoloLens.

Source: Windows Blog   - Neowin

Download DesktopAppConverter

Thanks all. I'll be back into development on Monday with the live stream. @wallmachine and @Kriven I'll look into those bugs then as well. @Lmagnus87 I'll be looking into the possibility of adding it to the Windows store but at this point I'm not sure. We'll have to see what the requirements are and such.

@wallmachine That logo issue probably has to do with the math I had to fudge a tiny bit in order to prevent the ugly lines from appearing under the images. An easy fix should be just to add a pixel or two of empty padding to the image itself. I can get back to it to tweak it a little though too; we probably just need to change the numbers a bit.

• Like 1

@Drybonz Work on the multi-monitor support and marquees has not started yet. Those features are planned for 7.0. The current roadmap is to put out one more release before 7.0; I plan to spend this week improving things and fixing bugs so that we're as stable as possible before I dive into major new features for 7.0. Hoping to put out 6.12 early next week and then jump into 7.0.

Just put out a new beta guys that does a lot better job reducing the image pop-ins in LaunchBox as well as fixes a voice recognition bug in Big Box. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to the other bugs in this thread yet but I'll be on those very soon. :)

• Like 5

I'm having an issue where I just added a bunch of the Cinematic 1080P videos and many of them are working great but I have some platforms that keep showing the same random games instead of the platform so I went into setting and changed the option to show random games when no platform video is found to off then restarted BB but it still didn't work it shows the same videos and not the Cinematic ones

Edited by DOS76

I just upgraded 6.12. i tried checking the "pop in" to compare to before. scrolling box art in ps2 seemed the same. switched to MAME (view by screenshot) and it looked better. went back to ps2 and still not so great. then clicked the gamecube platform and whammo ERROR:

System.InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Enumerator.MoveNextRare()
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at LaunchBox.Controls.GamesControlBase.get_GameGuis()
   at (ImageCacheUpdateStack , ImageCacheUpdateStack )
   at LaunchBox.Caching.ImageCache.UpdateImages(ImageCacheUpdateStack updateStack, ImageCacheUpdateStack loadStack)
   at LaunchBox.Caching.ImageCache.<>c.<Initialize>b__9_0()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

click ok on error then LB crashed. i think Windows created a memory dump.

on win 10 x64.

re-opened LB and it landed on ps2 platform. then moved to gamecube and it came up ok, but pop in still like before upgrading.

Edited by ckp

11 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@Drybonz Work on the multi-monitor support and marquees has not started yet. Those features are planned for 7.0. The current roadmap is to put out one more release before 7.0; I plan to spend this week improving things and fixing bugs so that we're as stable as possible before I dive into major new features for 7.0. Hoping to put out 6.12 early next week and then jump into 7.0.

Thanks for the info, Jason... I'll be following along.  I think this idea has a lot of cool possibilities, not only for arcade marquees (which I am excited about) but fan design, and things such as game maps on the second monitor, etc...  Keep us updated.   :)

• Like 1

Watched the stream yesterday @Jason Carr and it's good to have you back.

In the stream it seemed that things were set so that once in a platform it would load all those images in the background rather than just those on the screen. I'm not seeing this happen in the latest beta. It loads those shown, but then only loads as you scroll through. Granted, once all loaded scrolling is beautiful and seamless, but not doing what I thought was happening.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ckp said:

seems i keep getting a LB error when moving from platform to platform in LB.

Same. I have not followed the beta testing thread for a while, sorry if issue is already know. But so far, ever since I follow you guys, improvments have been steady and wondderful!

• Like 1

Alright, sorry for that bug guys. A new beta is out that should fix that bug and also improve things further. Hopefully this one fairs a bit better. I still haven't touched anything outside of improvements for the image pop-ins and caching for the LaunchBox boxes.

@Charco That error has been fixed but to be honest it doesn't make any sense why your data would be reverted. I've never heard of games reappearing after being deleted...had you restarted several times in between or did you just delete them, get the error, and then they showed back up on next restart?

Let me know if anyone is seeing any further errors with this beta. Things should be smoother now all around. You may want to Refresh All Images as the cache file names have changed slightly, so you'll get some extraneous files otherwise.