LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr Just a heads up, I just audited my spectrum games and it came up with a load of duplicates that are not actually duplicate games. This is because of the side 1 side 2, or tape 1 tape 2 etc., so I'm assuming it will be the same for other tape or disc based systems. Not sure if you can do anything about it, but thought I would mention it. Great work though I have cleared out a lot of dupes!!

@Jason Carr The only issue I see with not having DXVA enabled is that now, with VLC ignoring the main config you can't easily change it if you want to and will require the user to manually edit the config or launch VLC with the same command line options you do to change via the app. So, I have a suggestion to make that simple for the people who don't know how to do it manually.

1. Make a setting in LB to enable it.
  2. make a link somewhere in LB that opens VLC with those same command line options so they can be changed by the user in an easy way.

Has anyone tested to see if enabling DXVA manually on a system that doesn't support it will actually harm anything? It may be that DXVA will just not be used on those systems or it could be that it crashes or errors out. If the former is the case you can safely enable it for everyone since that one seemed to have the greatest benefit to the VLC speed in BB as far as I could tell.

• Like 3

@Jason Carr with the auditing tool, something is wrong with the image columns. For instance with Adventure Island for NES in the 3D Cart column says it has 5 images. When clicked and going through the images it shows 3D Cart, Cart -Front, Box - Front, Advertisement Flyer and Box 3D. So there is a bug, it shows more images than it should in some colums

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Please try the latest beta. I've told VLC specifically to never use the local settings, but it seems to be ignoring it in some cases. Let me know if the latest beta fixes it though.

@Jason Carr , at last I can use VLC in Launchbox!! Woohoo!! Thanks Jason! 

But just one thing, I can't double click the game videos to go full screen and back. Single click pauses/unpauses (nice) and double click just acts like single click. Right click acts as single left click also. With Win Media Player setting, I could double click to go in and out of full screen or right click and choose full screen. Is there any way to fix that for VLC? I really like that full screen functionality.

Edit:  Oh no @Jason Carr , I was premature. 5th game launch crashed LB. Oh man :(

I really wasn't expecting the fix to work because I'm just using default VLC Player settings in my full VLC install and I doubted that working settings would cause LB to crash even if LB was using the global installed VLC settings. So, I'm back to Windows MEdia Player...thanks for trying though!

Edited by ckp

Why is LB running two strange looking instances of autohotkey.exe on my system? No games are running, but I was running some before.

And after I just LB, these two autohotkey processes continue to run in task manager!??

This doesn't seem right. Seems like a bug. @Jason Carr ?

See screenshot.

Edit: Maybe these are left running when LB crashes from VLC on game launch (my games use LB's autohotkey tab). Because I don't see this happen when I'm using Win Media Player and not having LB crashing. I guess it might be like LB leaving the extracted game files in the 7zip temp folder when I hit the game crashing from vlc. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by ckp

After a successful audit and download of a big chunk of missing videos for my N64 platform on beta 3 I tried to audit again and got this and then LB died.

Version 7.5-beta-3

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)

at (Game , String )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.Game.GetImageFilePaths(String imageType)

at (Game , String )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.Game.<GetActualFrontImageCount>b__328_0(String imageType)

at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Sum(IEnumerable`1 source)

at (Game )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.Game.GetActualFrontImageCount()

at (AuditForm , Int32 , Game )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.PopulateRow(Int32 index, Game game)

at (AuditForm )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.PopulateGrid()

at (AuditForm )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.<AuditForm_Shown>b__46_0()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Edited by cammelspit

4 hours ago, cammelspit said:

After a successful audit and download of a big chunk of missing videos for my N64 platform on beta 3 I tried to audit again and got this and then LB died.

Version 7.5-beta-3

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)

at (Game , String )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.Game.GetImageFilePaths(String imageType)

at (Game , String )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.Game.<GetActualFrontImageCount>b__328_0(String imageType)

at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Sum(IEnumerable`1 source)

at (Game )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.Game.GetActualFrontImageCount()

at (AuditForm , Int32 , Game )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.PopulateRow(Int32 index, Game game)

at (AuditForm )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.PopulateGrid()

at (AuditForm )

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.<AuditForm_Shown>b__46_0()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I had the same error when I tried to audit my spectrum games, it through the error then crashed to desktop. I relaunched launchbox and it worked fine the second time.

Even though VLC is having some issues in LB for me (and others), I don't think it's necessarily VLC's fault (could be). VLC is regarded as one of the best if not the best video tools and players. Many video related developers use it as a standard tool at places like Netlix and at some other places that do real time steaming, video capture, and other things.

I really like VLC outside of Launchbox. I'd rather just see the bugs get fixed than to jump from player to player. VLC is solid and isn't going anywhere. It's actively worked on.

Just my two cents...

• Like 1

I currently use MPC on my machine but it doesn't come with built in CODEC's unless you use a pre-built package like K-lite (which I would not recommend). There is lots to configure and can be very CPU intensive. WMP which is already baked into the Operating System would still be the best choice, IMO - at least over MPC.

WMP > VLC > MPC

Edited by Kevin_Flynn
Wrote acronym incorrectly.
  • Like 1

Prioritize Sountrack over video audio doesn't work. It randomly shuffles between the 2 instead.

Also, I've been away for a while. I see videos can be played from the theme folder now. Can the music be played from that location now as well?

And does the theme game fanart location not work; is that just for platforms, because nothing happens when making a spot for the game backgrounds in my theme folder.

Edited by shinra358

13 minutes ago, kyoken said:

+1 move to MPC, VLC its a pain

Enviado desde mi Redmi 3S mediante Tapatalk

Personally I understand why @Jason Carr uses VLC, it's free to distribute for a start so it will work with every version of launchbox. It's also a highly respected video player which supports pretty much any codec out there. Adding another default video player to launchbox now will also "NOT" be a trivial process. So I understand. However I would love a option, even if it's buried deep in the menu's to actually specify what video player to use. Of course default will always be VLC, we don't want to make it hard for newcomers to setup there lb/bb, but for people like myself and many more who are very pc savvy and now what they are doing, it would be great to specify our player of choice. Jason should just through up a warning message saying something like "you are changing the default video player, this is not recommended for inexperienced users, this is at your own risk and will not be supported by unbroken software or launchbox". I'm sure the people who want to use different players will just say thanks I no what I'm doing and click OK.

• Like 2