LaunchBox Community Forums

11.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

I have assigned Button 5 + Button 6 as a screenshot combo in Launchbox.

I start RetroArch, start a game (I used the stella Core and an Atari 2600 game), pressed the combo and no screenshot generated.

Can you help me find what am I doing wrong?

Thank you

20 hours ago, neil9000 said:

See the blue border around the screen here,

851418084_DesktopScreenshot2020_06.26-12_57_48_94.thumb.png.6bc6dd22f2e2cb8f405e48cd35f6c628.pngif you click on the active window it turns green,

845474937_DesktopScreenshot2020_06.26-12_57_55_99.thumb.png.b17e0b8778572a8932be345d27e44db5.pngYou can then hold ALT on your keyboard while dragging the edges with your mouse.

Thanks a lot for the fast response. I tried this and played around with it for a while but the results still seem to be the same. I can't eliminate the bars around the video. Anyone else out there had luck with this?

22 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Thanks a lot for the fast response. I tried this and played around with it for a while but the results still seem to be the same. I can't eliminate the bars around the video. Anyone else out there had luck with this?

What are you trying to achieve? It sounds like expected behaviour to me? Similar to how a movie recorded in widescreen format will be letter-boxed if watched on a narrower display. Or do you want to crop the video such that it literally cuts off the top and bottom? That would be the only one way to force a 4:3 source to fit into a 16:9 aspect ratio without black bars.

10 hours ago, sundogak said:

A minor glitch that was in earlier Betas and also on Beta 4 (meant to get in earlier).

1. In additional applications window if you make an edit to the Name in Edit Application and close the Edit Application window the Name field in the Additional Apps window is not updated.  If you reopen the Edit Application window it will show the change in Application Name field  it just doesn't reflect in the Name field.  If you completely close out of the entire Edit window and reopen it, the change will show in the Name Field and Application Name as was changed (i.e., change sticks, just not reflecting immediately in Name field). 

Capture1.thumb.PNG.ffdc07638aec62934538c5ee36da2c00.PNG

2.  Noted on Beta 2 and behavior on Beta 4.  In the edit window launch tab where path to rom/file is located, the prior behavior was if you hit "Browse" button for an existing ROM, it started inside the folder where the ROM is located for selection (or used to be if ROM name changed but folder path was the same).  Now it starts in whatever the last path was used immediately prior to hitting browse button (i.e., if edited another game/platform it starts there).  So in the example below which is valid path for "Star Wars" the browse button starts in the "Sultan" rom path since it was the last path I manually browsed to prior rather than the Star Wars directory. 

Capture3.thumb.PNG.cfcfe8c3f11bec58a428ba7019343f07.PNG

I noticed # 2 as well.

2 hours ago, Thornback said:

What are you trying to achieve? It sounds like expected behaviour to me? Similar to how a movie recorded in widescreen format will be letter-boxed if watched on a narrower display. Or do you want to crop the video such that it literally cuts off the top and bottom? That would be the only one way to force a 4:3 source to fit into a 16:9 aspect ratio without black bars.

What I'm trying to achieve is a video which looks like any of the other videos on emumovies. Something that looks like this:
01.png.9c3310ed911c0f5c4762fcbd6b1bac91.pngand not this
02.png.b3dee4998e86c4dc6bf163f1e4492405.pngand not this either
03.png.2c76140d408aeef9d12b125c90635981.pngWhile the 2nd and 3rd options might be expected behavior, they shouldn't be accepted behavior :)

3 hours ago, Thornback said:

He wants to crop the output so as to have a 4:3 output from a 16:9 screen resolution. Obviously his display is 16:9 but he wants OBS to only output the centered 4:3 window. This is possible as i have done it myself, i kept the shader on mine so its still got the shaders built in TV bezel, but it IS a 4:3 crop from a 16:9 image, this video below would normally have a bezel on the sides as well.

This is how my Retroarch looks normally, with TV speakers as the bezel.

1123165046_RetroArchScreenshot2020_06.17-00_49_08_67.thumb.png.16f9cff0326a1c469aed3f55a6ff54cc.pngAnd this is how it looks with my cropped recording made with the OBS integration, its not quite right as there is some empty space at the bottom so i need to tweak it, but its a 4:3 cropped output from a 16:9 display.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

He wants to crop the output so as to have a 4:3 output from a 16:9 screen resolution. Obviously his display is 16:9 but he wants OBS to only output the centered 4:3 window. This is possible as i have done it myself, i kept the shader on mine so its still got the shaders built in TV bezel, but it IS a 4:3 crop from a 16:9 image, this video below would normal have a bezel on the sides as well.

This is how my Retroarch looks normally, with TV speakers as the bezel.

1123165046_RetroArchScreenshot2020_06.17-00_49_08_67.thumb.png.16f9cff0326a1c469aed3f55a6ff54cc.pngAnd this is how it looks with my cropped recording made with the OBS integration, its not quite right as there is some empty space at the bottom so i need to tweak it, but its a 4:3 cropped output from a 16:9 display.

WTB your bezel :P

4 hours ago, bundangdon said:

21 hours ago, Rlad said:

You can set the video output to a 4:3 ratio in settings

Annotation 2020-06-26 151210.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rlad said:

Thanks! I finally figured it out, at least for now. Using a combination of the advice from @neil9000 and @Rlad I was able to get the right size without any bars around the video-image. Thanks a lot for the help! Here's what I was able to make (just now) with the Neo Geo game "Bang Bead"

Note: If you watch it here, it doesn't look quite right, but if you watch it full screen on the youtube website, it's fine :)

Edited by bundangdon
  • Game On 1

1 hour ago, bundangdon said:

What I'm trying to achieve is a video which looks like any of the other videos on emumovies. Something that looks like this:
01.png.9c3310ed911c0f5c4762fcbd6b1bac91.pngand not this
02.png.b3dee4998e86c4dc6bf163f1e4492405.pngand not this either
03.png.2c76140d408aeef9d12b125c90635981.pngWhile the 2nd and 3rd options might be expected behavior, they shouldn't be accepted behavior :)

OK, this is with a 4K display so you will need to half the values if on 1080p.

Under settings/Video/base (canvas) resolution, entered the 4:3 res for my resolution, so 2880x2160 (1080p would be 1440x1080).

Under Output (scaled) resolution set the size of the actual outputted file, i set that to 1080p (so 1440x1080)

image.thumb.png.636936bf6b5bccffec51c88e3194f7f7.png

Applied and then on the main screen i had to drag the box to get it correctly centered (as it always defaults to the left of the image) If anyone knows how to do that automatically im all ears (there is a setting to set it centered both horizontally and verticaly, but that didnt seem to work for me. I centered the screen with a game running so i could see exactly what i was doing.

1671756626_DesktopScreenshot2020_06.27-13_35_13_98.thumb.png.02bd1a314cef55c14387b216c39d1d5c.pngEnd result.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Thanks! I finally figured it out, at least for now. Using a combination of the advice from @neil9000 and @Rlad I was able to get the right size without any bars around the video-image. Thanks a lot for the help! Here's what I was able to make (just now) with the Neo Geo game "Bang Bead"

Note: If you watch it here, it doesn't look quite right, but if you watch it full screen on the youtube website, it's fine :)

lol, we posted at exactly the same time. :) 

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Applied and then on the main screen i had to drag the box to get it correctly centered (as it always defaults to the left of the image) If anyone knows how to do that automatically im all ears (there is a setting to set it centered both horizontally and verticaly, but that didnt seem to work for me. I centered the screen with a game running so i could see exactly what i was doing.

Are you saying you have to center for every video? If you click that lock next to Display Capture it should stay centered.

4 minutes ago, Rlad said:

Are you saying you have to center for every video? If you click that lock next to Display Capture it should stay centered.

Yeah it does stay once set, but you have to manually align it in the first place. There is a option in settings that i would think should do that automatically, but it didnt, at least for me.

Untitled.thumb.png.2abeaf96e2d3a0e84c48c44921ac2c73.png 

38 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah it does stay once set, but you have to manually align it in the first place. There is a option in settings that i would think should do that automatically, but it didnt, at least for me.

Untitled.thumb.png.2abeaf96e2d3a0e84c48c44921ac2c73.png 

Yeah, i can't work that out either.

@Jason Carr, it was brought to my attention by a user on Discord that in the new edit window changing the default facing game wasn't working via the additional apps tab. I can confirm I'm seeing the same behavior from it. It creates a message saying that it will be overwriting the metadata already there but then after closing the edit Window the same game is still the facing game. As a work around until this is fixed you can go to the launcher tab and edit the path to reflect the game name that you want to be the facing name and those changes will save.

• Like 1

Is there a way to stop having every Video clip I set a directory to a game in Edit from copying itself into the Platform Video folder? I deleted all the copies and did a backup on Data, but seems only games that display video now are the ones that copied themselves to the Platform Video folders which is gonna take up more space than I'd like to since some games I use the same clip more than once. I also am having a hard time getting some games with the same title on a Platform to show different clips on a Regional level too

Edited by RULLUR