LaunchBox Community Forums

11.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

21 hours ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

Just constructive feedback...  multiple themes are still glitching on beta 13, videos are  sometimes missing, glitch and freeze, and big box keeps suddenly shutting down randomly. Going back to 11.2 official now seems to strangely  have stability issues as well.... Not sure what to do next... Oh well... If an official release is coming, looks like based on my experiences with beta 13 'm out of luck. 2 separate independent  builds on separate pc's both have same issues.

Since I posted this above, I have tried the following on 11.3 BETA 13:

1- Un-Installed and then Re-installed all instances of  .NET Core / .NET Framework. ( Note: I let Launch-Box add .NET core back upon updating the system afterwards)
2-  Used the DDU tool to completely remove the Nvidia graphics driver from the system, Then did clean Re-Install of latest Nvidia graphics Driver
3-  Re- Installed Direct X runtime for Windows 10 
4- Deleted all themes. Reinstalled fresh Copy of Unified Redux, Unified, and Unified Refried (theses are my current 3 primary themes)
5- Went back to using default Startup theme
6- Swapped fresh copy of LBthemes folder,  and Core folders from a different installation. 
7- Switched From using VLC engine to alternate MS engine... no difference.

The problems still persist. When I go back to using the V11.2 official release the issues are gone. It's obvious to me this only occurs when I upgrade to any 11.3 Beta XX

Again, the problem is stuttering, glitching system videos,  Glitching themes, and the system wheels are glitching and changing size randomly. I have tested 2 separate Launchbox instances, but have the exact same problem on both....

IS there anyone else having this issue?  Anything else I can try? Are still these common issues that still need to be ironed out since Launch-box switched to the .NET Core update?

Thanks.

I'm getting errors when I try to import certain games from Steam:

Could not import game "": An item with the same key has already been added. followed a steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net image URL that includes the Steam game ID in it.

I have done a search of the platform XML files and the Steam ID numbers are definitely not in there.  It gave this error the first time I attempted these games, and it doesn't add them.

The games that it is doing this for for sure are: King's Table - The Legend of Ragnarok, The Guild Gold Edition, Unclaimed World, and Wrestling Spirit 3.

Happy to provide XMLs if that would help.

EDIT: Just manually edited Windows platform XML to add Steam game ID manually to a new entry for The Guild Gold Edition, and once I do that it does interact with Steam properly (downloading images, launching the game, etc.).  Not sure if it matters, but mentioning it just in case.

Edited by Luckspeare
Additional note

On 8/14/2020 at 5:15 PM, sundogak said:

On Beta 13:

Running a Metadata update to games that have a valid max number of players and play mode entered in the DB results in inconsistent update results to the max player field. If select a game individually and do a meta data update will update correctly.  If you rerun the metadata update it tends to fix it but not always. In some cases, at least in audit view, you can see it update some and others it actually removes the max player data (even though it is in the DB).  At first thought it was just an audit window issue but happens outside that tool.

Example 1:  This was an audit view window after doing a full metadata update replacing any metadata that was missing (recommended option). Note the Single Player items and no entry in the max player. This was after two update runs of entire ~130 ish games.  If do a few at a time (~5) or individually (see Examples 2 below) then the max player data "sticks". 

Capture.PNG.a448bd602b5c30002deb8ac36ba1e6ed.PNGExample 2A: This is example after ran metadata update on Intellivision console.  Note the Max Players field is empty/missing although Play Mode is filled in as single player and a metadata update was run prior where others were filled in but not this one.

371172190_Capture1.thumb.PNG.36a52f58e02ea45c46a964c4ba897b82.PNGExample 2B:  This is same window as above, if click the "X" box at top right and do a manual search, it properly fills in the Max Player field. This always works. It just seems to be the batch metadata updates that are hit and miss if, particularly when in >20 at time updates.

Capture3.thumb.PNG.552e5d04056a636ef70f93e11cc99f68.PNGI did about 5 console platform updates (mostly for release types) and results in same behaviour so didn't seem to be an issue with a particular platform.  The easiest way to see it is is pick a platform and run audit view, do metadata update, then sort by play mode and look for missing MAX players field.

Is there any specific title you see this consistently on or does it appear like it occurring randomly?

On 8/14/2020 at 2:13 PM, Wanderer189 said:

Was trying to download update and it gets hung on me during the download process. It has happened in the past a few times since maybe 11.3.2. I thought it was my internet, but now thinking it is more LB related maybe. It also happens sometimes when LB tries to update the DB file as well. It is hung now, been so for like 15 minutes so far. I can cancel it, close LB, re-open LB and it usually works the 2nd time around.

When it does it when LB is downloading the DB, LB has to be closed for it to try again, if I just cancel and try to search for meta data again, and it prompts for the download, it hangs again, until LB is re-launched.

Even though it is hung now, I am still getting great speeds with speedtests, etc. No issues with downloading other things using IDM or anything else. So not sure what it causing the hangups just with LB?

Untitled.jpg

Not sure what could be causing this, outside of Internet connection stability issues. We've learned though that the Internet is way more of a fickle beast than we would have ever thought, so the issue could be on your end, or on our end, or anywhere in between, but unfortunately it's not at all easy to solve these one-off issues.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:26 AM, EgoBizarro said:

Well, I am still having the issue that randomly the images are taking a long time to load on the sidebar (at least using old default theme), up to half a minute. Up until then it just says "Loading...".

And then, even after those have loaded, when in the edit window, clicking on the 'Images' tab, it can take a long time for the tab to open. Up until then LB basically freezes. Just had it happen with Tetris Attack which has only 10 images. It can go immediately with games which have over 15 images, so it seems to be just completely random and doesn't make any sense. If you click around 20 games, it should happen at least once.

Not a super-fatal issue, so I guess it doesn't have to be fixed before the next release, but since it seems this started to happen only with 11.3...

I was actually able to replicate this and have it fixed for the next beta. It was specific to the Old Default theme. :)

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 12:33 PM, RULLUR said:

I've kinda been noticing sometimes not all things from the Database are being Downloaded. One example is that today I went for a Japanese game, but what happened was I got some of the Japan stuff except for the cover art, but also got some North America stuff along with it. I manually go looked at the Database to see if there was even a cover for it, and there is, but unsure why it never Downloaded with everything else though

We'll need specific examples of the game and what did and didn't download in order to look into this. :)

On 8/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, OhBoy said:

It's still messed up. Shouldn't it choose the name that matches the rom? For example "Open Sesame (Europe).a26" for Atari 2600 is given the name "Abre-te, Sesamo!" instead of "Open Sesame". Is there a way to ignore alternative names and have LB use the same name the rom file has?

In theory, there shouldn't ever be a case where the region's proper title doesn't match the title on the ROM file, but perhaps that is a possibility. Currently we use the name that matches the region on the ROM file as priority #1. We're going to change that for the next beta to use the title on the ROM file as priority #1 instead, and then the region title.

21 hours ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

Since I posted this above, I have tried the following on 11.3 BETA 13:

1- Un-Installed and then Re-installed all instances of  .NET Core / .NET Framework. ( Note: I let Launch-Box add .NET core back upon updating the system afterwards)
2-  Used the DDU tool to completely remove the Nvidia graphics driver from the system, Then did clean Re-Install of latest Nvidia graphics Driver
3-  Re- Installed Direct X runtime for Windows 10 
4- Deleted all themes. Reinstalled fresh Copy of Unified Redux, Unified, and Unified Refried (theses are my current 3 primary themes)
5- Went back to using default Startup theme
6- Swapped fresh copy of LBthemes folder,  and Core folders from a different installation. 
7- Switched From using VLC engine to alternate MS engine... no difference.

The problems still persist. When I go back to using the V11.2 official release the issues are gone. It's obvious to me this only occurs when I upgrade to any 11.3 Beta XX

Again, the problem is stuttering, glitching system videos,  Glitching themes, and the system wheels are glitching and changing size randomly. I have tested 2 separate Launchbox instances, but have the exact same problem on both....

IS there anyone else having this issue?  Anything else I can try? Are still these common issues that still need to be ironed out since Launch-box switched to the .NET Core update?

Thanks.

I have not heard of these issues elsewhere at this point. I'll do some testing with Refried though to see if it's a theme-specific issue. Also could be plugin-related, so if you have any plugins, try removing them (and let us know which ones are causing issues).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luckspeare said:

I'm getting errors when I try to import certain games from Steam:

Could not import game "": An item with the same key has already been added. followed a steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net image URL that includes the Steam game ID in it.

I have done a search of the platform XML files and the Steam ID numbers are definitely not in there.  It gave this error the first time I attempted these games, and it doesn't add them.

The games that it is doing this for for sure are: King's Table - The Legend of Ragnarok, The Guild Gold Edition, Unclaimed World, and Wrestling Spirit 3.

Happy to provide XMLs if that would help.

EDIT: Just manually edited Windows platform XML to add Steam game ID manually to a new entry for The Guild Gold Edition, and once I do that it does interact with Steam properly (downloading images, launching the game, etc.).  Not sure if it matters, but mentioning it just in case.

Can you PM me a zip of your LaunchBox\Data folder? We can look into to see what might be happening.

On 8/12/2020 at 5:35 AM, neil9000 said:

Not strictly related to these betas, but i'm still getting the issue of video snaps in the sidebar blowing up and cropping to a quarter of the actual video file.

How it should look.

1491154529_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.01c2f8156779e168b99dee0c75dc3b3e.pngAnd what happens, it seems to zoom in on the top left of the video, but also enlarges it so that it overlaps the text below.

1204436528_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.5a199042c2afc9a9fd4376033dcb1ddc.png

Latest beta, using VLC as the video engine.

Do you have multiple monitors Neil? What DPI settings are you using on each monitor?

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Do you have multiple monitors Neil? What DPI settings are you using on each monitor?

Just one monitor/TV (assuming the Oculus Rift S doesnt count?) running at 2160p at 200% scaling. I should add the same thing happens when running at 1440p and 125 or 150 % scaling as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Just one monitor/TV (assuming the Oculus Rift S doesnt count?) running at 2160p at 200% scaling. I should add the same thing happens when running at 1440p and 125 or 150 % scaling as well.

Is the Oculus Rift plugged in? Does it happen if you unplug it and reboot?

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

In theory, there shouldn't ever be a case where the region's proper title doesn't match the title on the ROM file, but perhaps that is a possibility. Currently we use the name that matches the region on the ROM file as priority #1. We're going to change that for the next beta to use the title on the ROM file as priority #1 instead, and then the region title.

What’s weird is LB is choosing the Brazilian name for the game, but I don’t have a Brazilian version, just the European version. It’s seems to do that with a number of games. Hopefully using the title as priority #1 will work better. 

I don't have any files open I just restarted my PC. (I've also never opened that file)

(Inner Exception)

The process cannot access the file 'F:\LaunchBox\Data\Platforms\MAME.xml' because it is being used by another process.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 11.3-beta-13
Type:    System.IO.IOException
Site:    Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle ValidateFileHandle(Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle)
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
   at System.IO.FileStream.CreateFileOpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Data.DataManager.Xu14JfYSZq(String  )
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass33_0`2.<ForEachWorker>b__0(Int32 i)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass19_0`1.<ForWorker>b__1(RangeWorker& currentWorker, Int32 timeout, Boolean& replicationDelegateYieldedBeforeCompletion)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw(Exception source)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass19_0`1.<ForWorker>b__1(RangeWorker& currentWorker, Int32 timeout, Boolean& replicationDelegateYieldedBeforeCompletion)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskReplicator.Replica`1.ExecuteAction(Boolean& yieldedBeforeCompletion)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskReplicator.Replica.Execute()

(Outer Exception)

One or more errors occurred. (The process cannot access the file 'F:\LaunchBox\Data\Platforms\MAME.xml' because it is being used by another process.)

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 11.3-beta-13
Type:    System.AggregateException
Site:    Void Run[TState](ReplicatableUserAction`1, System.Threading.Tasks.ParallelOptions, Boolean)
Source:  System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel

at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskReplicator.Run[TState](ReplicatableUserAction`1 action, ParallelOptions options, Boolean stopOnFirstFailure)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForWorker[TLocal](Int32 fromInclusive, Int32 toExclusive, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 body, Action`2 bodyWithState, Func`4 bodyWithLocal, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw(Exception source)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ThrowSingleCancellationExceptionOrOtherException(ICollection exceptions, CancellationToken cancelToken, Exception otherException)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForWorker[TLocal](Int32 fromInclusive, Int32 toExclusive, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 body, Action`2 bodyWithState, Func`4 bodyWithLocal, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](IList`1 list, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 body, Action`2 bodyWithState, Action`3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func`4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func`5 bodyWithEverything, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](IEnumerable`1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 body, Action`2 bodyWithState, Action`3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func`4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func`5 bodyWithEverything, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Action`1 body)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Data.DataManager.Load(Boolean settingsOnly, Boolean forceReloadAll)
   at tG1W7Zb1LYCuotJ6Nxc.aqkm6mgOq(Object , Boolean settingsOnly, Boolean forceReloadAll, tG1W7Zb1LYCuotJ6Nxc )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Data.DataManager..ctor(Boolean bare, Boolean settingsOnly)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Recent Log:

8:15:05 AM Exception

Edited by wallmachine

Beta 14 is out now with the following:

• Fix for issues saving the Max Players field
  • Fixes for the Date Modified field not being updated
  • Fixes for game details sidebar image loading delays with the Old Default theme
  • Translation updates
  • Changed the alternate name logic to prioritize the title from the ROM file name over the region title
  • Hopeful fix for startup crashes that a couple of users were running into
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 9:35 AM, neil9000 said:

Not strictly related to these betas, but i'm still getting the issue of video snaps in the sidebar blowing up and cropping to a quarter of the actual video file.

How it should look.

1491154529_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.01c2f8156779e168b99dee0c75dc3b3e.pngAnd what happens, it seems to zoom in on the top left of the video, but also enlarges it so that it overlaps the text below.

1204436528_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.5a199042c2afc9a9fd4376033dcb1ddc.png

Latest beta, using VLC as the video engine.

FYI, I have this issue occasionally as well. Only one monitor/device, 1080p, 100% scaling.  Happens with different themes too, not just the default theme.  It's very random, but most times I've noticed it it's either when I just open launchbox, or when I get back into LB after playing/closing a game/emulator.

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

We'll need specific examples of the game and what did and didn't download in order to look into this. :)

I can't remember them all, but I do remember Turpin for Arcade didn't Download its cover. I got stuff for Turtles instead