LaunchBox Community Forums

11.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

11 hours ago, sundogak said:

LB Hang - Task Kill:  I had this happen and sounds similar to what @dblalcar experienced. Happened two times during early betas but didn't think much of it at time considering changes to new Core and didn't have logs on at the time. Tonight I had it happen twice where the edit window was open and second when closing the edit window. In both cases, LB hung up with no response (but didn't crash outright).  The Windows busy spinning icon will spin away when this happens. I let the second time spin about 10 minutes before I task killed it. It doesn't actually appear to be doing anything during that time and like noted by dbalcar it isn't taxing resources (CPU, drive all low use).  I have attached both logs where it hung up and had to task kill it (Hang - Task Kill No 1 and 2).

LB Hang - Scroll to "reactivate":  About three other times tonight (beyond above) I had LB hang with the window dimmed as if another window dialog box is open (but not). With this case, the mouse cursor was still active and moving just nothing would "activate" in the LB window.  Clicking in menu gets no response or on any of the areas. However, if move the mouse to the left platform pane and scroll with mouse wheel (our scroll bar) to end of platform listing it will "unlock" and back to normal.  It's like it is waiting for an action or window to close, but there are no windows open. The difference with this issue versus first one is the Windows busy icon is not running and you can actually see the mouse inside the LB window. I am always able to unstick it but forcing a scroll of the platform with mouse wheel or dragging the scroll bar (but no other actions work). This one always happens immediately after closing the edit window, but not consistently. I can go back to same game and do edits and is fine or will work fine for awhile and then pop up again. I attached a log for this one as well but not sure will give much since appears LB just goes back to normal after forcing a window scroll.  Happened on multiple platforms, so don't think a corrupted XML.

Not sure if both issues are related and suspect hard to track down.  It doesn't happen with a pattern other than the edit window tends to be the trigger.  Haven't changed anything Windows wise and Nvidia drivers/mouse drivers all up to date (and same used in prior LB versions). No other main programs were running when happened. Mouse is USB direct connected and not wireless. 

On unrelated note, Norton Antivirus really dislikes (erroneously) the Bigbox.DLL in the ..Launchbox\Core  directory with this round of betas. Never had it whine before on LB.  But it merrily will quarantine that DLL each time a beta comes out due to its mystery "heuristic" checks. Excluding it works fine thereafter (until a new version).  Anyway, just noting since soon to go final and others may run into over zealous Norton zapping the needed DLL.

Hang - Task Kill No 1 - Debug 2020-08-20 12-28-46 PM-Crash at 706pm.log 754.31 kB · 0 downloads Hang - Task Kill No 2 - Debug 2020-08-20 07-14-01 PM-Crash 832.log 838.09 kB · 0 downloads Issue No 2 - Hang - Scroll Fixes it- Debug 2020-08-20 08-34-15 PM - pausehang at 843.log 109.12 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the detailed reports. We'll look to see if we can reproduce. Per Norton, sadly there's not much we can do. Usually it's just random whether the compiled DLLs trigger the crappy anti-viruses. I do my best to get around it for official releases though (just by recompiling until it magically goes away).

2 hours ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

@Jason CarrReporting back: My Big-Box Theme and video corruption issue is now resolved . What was required to fix it, was for me to completely Re-install Windows 10. My best assumption to what caused this is that when I had Updated to Core.net it had exposed some sort of driver corruption conflict which was causing Big-Box Theme issues that for me were impossible to resolve. (Issues did not occur in Big-Box 11.2)  So, the fix again was to perform a clean install of Windows 10 and add back all drivers. Since doing so, All of my Big-Box Themes and Menu's are now working as expected in Latest Beta (at time of this writing is 11.3 Beta 16).   <Thanks>

Wow, ridiculous that you had to reinstall Windows to get it fixed, but I'm glad it's fixed. Thanks for bearing with us @MazJohn [Mr Arcade].

2 hours ago, dbalcar said:

Well in beta 16 I just ran into this where after launching BigBox then closing and then trying to launch LB I get this error.  As you can see in taskmgr both BB and LB are running.  I have let it sit here for 30 min and still there.  I will try and reproduce.

unable to launch.PNG

unable to launch-taskmgr.PNG

Do you have debug logging enabled? Can you send me the log file from when this happened?

2 minutes ago, deadyourinstinct said:

hey has anyone gotten any false positives for avira virus... for some reason both the big box and the launchbox updaters came up as trojans. Dropper.gen i think

The betas often do, with crappy AV's that is. Generally official releases dont, but betas due to the quick turnaround may flag.

So yes false positive.

4 minutes ago, deadyourinstinct said:

hey has anyone gotten any false positives for avira virus... for some reason both the big box and the launchbox updaters came up as trojans. Dropper.gen i think

Yes, just recently in this thread. I recommend dropping whatever crappy anti-virus you're running that's throwing the false positives. Stick with Windows built-in Defender. It's all you need.

4 minutes ago, deadyourinstinct said:

Just a quick explanation, AV's go on number of installs, so if a million users have the same file installed and none of them have reported issues that file is presumed safe. The issue here is a relatively niche product (not to us its not, but in general PC terms it is) that then has a beta that only a small percentage of that already niche audience actually installs, means no info to go on, so the AV assumes virus/trojan whatever. Its a shitty way of going about antivirus to be honest.

53 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Do you have debug logging enabled? Can you send me the log file from when this happened?

Ok I turned the debug logging on and was able to reproduce.  Looks like when you switch between themes is causing it.  just my .02  I have attached all the logs from starting LB and BB and then trying to exit.  Hope this helps  ?

Debug 2020-08-21 01-24-50 PM.log Debug 2020-08-21 01-25-29 PM.log Debug 2020-08-21 01-28-28 PM.log Debug 2020-08-21 01-28-36 PM.log Debug 2020-08-21 01-28-53 PM.log

Edited by dbalcar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

As in these games are not part of a standard MAME romset?

Deco cassette games are part of the MAME romset for sure.  I still don't know what you mean.  I was asking if they were supposed to be filtered (see previous discussion of MAME imports in this thread).  Most people would want these to be filtered as they are redundant if you have the Data East games, as they were with old Lightspeed filters.

2 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

Deco cassette games are part of the MAME romset for sure.  I still don't know what you mean. 

That is exactly what i was asking, is that part of the MAME arcade set (the one we all know of and use) or the MAME software list set (the one that includes consoles and more specifically old computer systems) that very often use cassettes or discs as there media.

I have since learned that the stuff you are talking about is in fact part of the MAME Arcade romset. So that was the question i as asking, and the fact that you are so confused about the answer yourself must mean we both have more to learn about MAME, it is not just a arcade emulator, but also often a computer emulator.

Deco Cassette was an arcade system.  It was an alternative to the actual Data East machines in that they let arcades switch the games in the cabinet, but they are the exact same game as the Data East game (Burgertime, Bump n Jump, etc), so they are a duplicate that most people would want filtered.

Beta 17 is out now with the following:

• Performance improvements when pressing OK on Add/Edit
  • More thread priority and multi-threading improvements that should result in better performance throughout.

Those of you who were experiencing delays/performance issues, please let us know how this beta fares.

• Like 2

So today I hit Ctrl+B from LaunchBox to start BigBox, and it's been like 15Mins with it not even opening. Thing is I look at the pinned BigBox on my toolbar, and I see "BigBox (2)" when I hover my mouse cursor over it. I then clicked it, and Avast was scanning it since I haven't used it yet after Installing the latest Beta. After that, it decides to start BigBox