LaunchBox Community Forums

11.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

35 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Getting the below audio error and then BigBox closes whenever I go into the Sound Settings in BigBox and change the sound. I have never really messed with changing the sounds I use until today and as soon as I enter the Sound menu section and select to change the Sound Pack this error happens. Seems to only happen with Sound Pack change. It does it 100% of the time. Also it is not affected by theme. Does it in Default, Unified Redux, Critical Zone, and at least 4 others. 

I changed the following and no crash on my side.

Master Volume
Video Volume
Music Volume

Probably got nothing related but I did update here:

image.thumb.png.f329e584970e29a1dade78761f0970f0.png

Audio related:

21 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

I changed the following and no crash on my side.

Master Volume
Video Volume
Music Volume

Probably got nothing related but I did update here:

image.thumb.png.f329e584970e29a1dade78761f0970f0.png

Audio related:

Thanks. However none of that is related as I did clarify in my post "Seems to only happen with Sound Pack change".

On 8/12/2020 at 1:38 AM, Gill Figno said:

Great update, something you did in a previous update fixed the DOS command line issue I was having before (It was a few weeks back) and it's working now.

Also, I wanted to ask you if it would be possible to make it so we could manually edit the "Date Added" data? I want to edit the date added to be when I purchased the game, so I can use just Launchbox and not a spreadsheet to keep track of my collection.

edit the xml directly

On 8/12/2020 at 5:35 AM, neil9000 said:

Not strictly related to these betas, but i'm still getting the issue of video snaps in the sidebar blowing up and cropping to a quarter of the actual video file.

How it should look.

1491154529_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.01c2f8156779e168b99dee0c75dc3b3e.pngAnd what happens, it seems to zoom in on the top left of the video, but also enlarges it so that it overlaps the text below.

1204436528_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.5a199042c2afc9a9fd4376033dcb1ddc.png

Latest beta, using VLC as the video engine.

I've had this happen off and on for a while now, i switched to WMP for playback to fix it.

15 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Just found a bug. Choosing "open name of emulator" in the game details screen in Bigbox now just opens the folder the .exe is in, and doesn't actually open the emulator.

Thanks for the report. Was able to confirm and correct.

• Like 1

Beta 13 is out now with the following:

• Fixed a bug in the alternate name selection logic during imports and metadata updates
  • Fixed the sound dispose bug that was causing errors when switching sound packs
  • Translation updates
  • Release Type field is now downloaded and updated from the LBGDB
  • Fixed the Big Box Open Emulator bug

Thanks again all; I know we haven't eliminated 100% of the reported issues, but we've eliminated all that we've been able to reproduce. Let us know if you still run into any bugs in beta 13. We'll be looking at hopefully putting out an official release early next week.

• Like 6

Was trying to download update and it gets hung on me during the download process. It has happened in the past a few times since maybe 11.3.2. I thought it was my internet, but now thinking it is more LB related maybe. It also happens sometimes when LB tries to update the DB file as well. It is hung now, been so for like 15 minutes so far. I can cancel it, close LB, re-open LB and it usually works the 2nd time around.

When it does it when LB is downloading the DB, LB has to be closed for it to try again, if I just cancel and try to search for meta data again, and it prompts for the download, it hangs again, until LB is re-launched.

Even though it is hung now, I am still getting great speeds with speedtests, etc. No issues with downloading other things using IDM or anything else. So not sure what it causing the hangups just with LB?

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Wanderer189

On Beta 13:

Running a Metadata update to games that have a valid max number of players and play mode entered in the DB results in inconsistent update results to the max player field. If select a game individually and do a meta data update will update correctly.  If you rerun the metadata update it tends to fix it but not always. In some cases, at least in audit view, you can see it update some and others it actually removes the max player data (even though it is in the DB).  At first thought it was just an audit window issue but happens outside that tool.

Example 1:  This was an audit view window after doing a full metadata update replacing any metadata that was missing (recommended option). Note the Single Player items and no entry in the max player. This was after two update runs of entire ~130 ish games.  If do a few at a time (~5) or individually (see Examples 2 below) then the max player data "sticks". 

Capture.PNG.a448bd602b5c30002deb8ac36ba1e6ed.PNGExample 2A: This is example after ran metadata update on Intellivision console.  Note the Max Players field is empty/missing although Play Mode is filled in as single player and a metadata update was run prior where others were filled in but not this one.

371172190_Capture1.thumb.PNG.36a52f58e02ea45c46a964c4ba897b82.PNGExample 2B:  This is same window as above, if click the "X" box at top right and do a manual search, it properly fills in the Max Player field. This always works. It just seems to be the batch metadata updates that are hit and miss if, particularly when in >20 at time updates.

Capture3.thumb.PNG.552e5d04056a636ef70f93e11cc99f68.PNGI did about 5 console platform updates (mostly for release types) and results in same behaviour so didn't seem to be an issue with a particular platform.  The easiest way to see it is is pick a platform and run audit view, do metadata update, then sort by play mode and look for missing MAX players field.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

• Fixed a bug in the alternate name selection logic during imports and metadata updates
  • Fixed the sound dispose bug that was causing errors when switching sound packs
  • Translation updates
  • Release Type field is now downloaded and updated from the LBGDB
  • Fixed the Big Box Open Emulator bug

Thanks again all; I know we haven't eliminated 100% of the reported issues, but we've eliminated all that we've been able to reproduce. Let us know if you still run into any bugs in beta 13. We'll be looking at hopefully putting out an official release early next week.

Well, I am still having the issue that randomly the images are taking a long time to load on the sidebar (at least using old default theme), up to half a minute. Up until then it just says "Loading...".

And then, even after those have loaded, when in the edit window, clicking on the 'Images' tab, it can take a long time for the tab to open. Up until then LB basically freezes. Just had it happen with Tetris Attack which has only 10 images. It can go immediately with games which have over 15 images, so it seems to be just completely random and doesn't make any sense. If you click around 20 games, it should happen at least once.

Not a super-fatal issue, so I guess it doesn't have to be fixed before the next release, but since it seems this started to happen only with 11.3...

Edited by EgoBizarro

On 8/12/2020 at 8:02 AM, Wanderer189 said:

Just to want to report the audio issue I had posted a ways back with video snaps still an issue in v13.3.12:

Today I can't get the Games DB to update. After the download hangs up and I cancel and try again, I am getting this if I try again:

Untitled.jpg

When I close and re-open LB, it is just hanging again on the download. After waiting 20 minutes or so, it worked

Edited by Wanderer189

I've kinda been noticing sometimes not all things from the Database are being Downloaded. One example is that today I went for a Japanese game, but what happened was I got some of the Japan stuff except for the cover art, but also got some North America stuff along with it. I manually go looked at the Database to see if there was even a cover for it, and there is, but unsure why it never Downloaded with everything else though

Just constructive feedback...  multiple themes are still glitching on beta 13, videos are  sometimes missing, glitch and freeze, and big box keeps suddenly shutting down randomly. Going back to 11.2 official now seems to strangely  have stability issues as well.... Not sure what to do next... Oh well... If an official release is coming, looks like based on my experiences with beta 13 'm out of luck. 2 separate independent  builds on separate pc's both have same issues.

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]

On 8/14/2020 at 11:17 AM, Jason Carr said:

It's still messed up. Shouldn't it choose the name that matches the rom? For example "Open Sesame (Europe).a26" for Atari 2600 is given the name "Abre-te, Sesamo!" instead of "Open Sesame". Is there a way to ignore alternative names and have LB use the same name the rom file has?

On 8/10/2020 at 4:05 PM, Jason Carr said:

This is a plugin issue of some sort. What plugins do you have installed for LaunchBox?

We're not able to replicate this, so we're at a loss here currently. .NET Core probably requires different permissions somehow than previous .NET did, but unfortunately that kind of stuff is mostly out of our control. Can you zip up and PM me your data folder to see if we can't figure out what might be going on?

Sorry, been away from the machine. I did see you have to install .NET Core for 11.3 so that probably is related. I will check a few things and if I don't get anywhere I'll give you a copy of my data folder.