LaunchBox Community Forums

11.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey all, I finally figured out the issue with the crashes. Should have a new beta out with a fix here soon.

should this fix the random BigBox one as it just happened again?

image.thumb.png.18dacabb949ebda8ba048998162d0faa.pngimage.thumb.png.e4e6a08e1e5e82162cac7f134e42f249.png

2020-08-08 06:58:59 AM All necessary config files and folders now confirmed to exist.
2020-08-08 06:59:32 AM DataManager.SaveInternal started.
2020-08-08 06:59:32 AM Saving InputBindings.xml...
2020-08-08 06:59:32 AM Saving ListCache.xml...
2020-08-08 06:59:33 AM Saving Settings.xml...
2020-08-08 06:59:33 AM DataManager.SaveInternal completed successfully.
2020-08-08 06:59:47 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: Could not find file 'F:\LaunchBox\Sounds\HyperSpin\Startup.wav'.
   at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
2020-08-08 06:59:51 AM Music.Pause Start
2020-08-08 06:59:52 AM Music.Resume Start
2020-08-08 06:59:52 AM Music.Resume Start
2020-08-08 06:59:53 AM Music.Pause Start
2020-08-08 06:59:56 AM Music.Initialize Start
2020-08-08 06:59:56 AM Music.Kill Start
2020-08-08 06:59:56 AM Music.Kill Finished
2020-08-08 07:00:03 AM Music.Resume Start
2020-08-08 07:00:05 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:05 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: ImageSourceConverter cannot convert from System.String.
   at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.GetConvertFromException(Object value)
2020-08-08 07:00:05 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: ImageSourceConverter cannot convert from System.String.
   at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.GetConvertFromException(Object value)
   at System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)
   at System.Windows.Media.ImageSourceConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)
   at MS.Internal.Data.DefaultValueConverter.ConvertHelper(Object o, Type destinationType, DependencyObject targetElement, CultureInfo culture, Boolean isForward)
2020-08-08 07:00:05 AM Music.Kill Start
2020-08-08 07:00:05 AM Music.Kill Finished
2020-08-08 07:00:06 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:07 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:08 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:08 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:09 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:09 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:10 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:10 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:11 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:11 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:13 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:13 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
2020-08-08 07:00:16 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start

Edited by wallmachine

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I had that in a previous beta, but not in the current. I believe it was a threading issue that was fixed?

Yes, threading should be much improved in beta 9. However, we do have some further minor improvements coming for beta 10 that might still help.

1 hour ago, h4mm3r said:

I am having very similar issues as others here with the 11.3 betas.  However I have had these issues since 11.2 stable.  LB freezes and crashes on me consistently while moving around and selecting game(s) or while opening the edit game option.   Would these issues also affect my ability to start BigBox?  For a couple of weeks now I have been unable to launch BigBox from the dedicated .exe or via LB menu.  It just hangs and eventually I have to force close.  Neither the 11.3 betas or going back and reinstalling 11.2 solves my BigBox problem.

I have attached two log files.  The first being LB crash and the second is me trying to start BB from the exe when it just hangs.

This is the first issue I have had in over 2 years that I could not solve myself!  So keep up the great work!

Debug 2020-08-07 02-38-01 PM.log 31.84 kB · 0 downloads Debug 2020-08-07 02-43-40 PM.log 365 B · 1 download

It sounds like you have multiple issues here; I expect that beta 10 (should be out shortly) will solve the LaunchBox crashing issues, though those issues should not exist in 11.2 at all, so I suspect that there are several different issues going on. Per Big Box, the issue is likely either an app conflict with some sort of security software, or an issue with a controller, or something of that nature. It also could be a data issue. If you can zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder, I can look to see if it's a data issue or not.

@wallmachine It may fix it, but it also may not. I still don't know what is causing that issue for you, unfortunately. Would certainly be nice if it did fix it, though. Unfortunately that log isn't telling me much of anything.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@wallmachine It may fix it, but it also may not. I still don't know what is causing that issue for you, unfortunately. Would certainly be nice if it did fix it, though. Unfortunately that log isn't telling me much of anything.

Done some googling results came back that it might be with .NET 3.1 and Microsoft released a patch but is unavailable as should be included in newer .NET iterations.

Edited by wallmachine

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Has it been fixed in 3.1.6?

KB been removed as said installing Windows 10 is the solution "from microsoft".

But seen recent posts about it so not sure, no idea if this is similar as dgbview showed something about thirdpartyapps/vlc cache failing and it seems the video stops then it crashes, not 100% if the case as it started since the .NET change.

Also if I import a Platform and uncheck all media options but leave the option to "search and remove duplicates" it still does a check even though I have no media and unchecked the option to download media. This adds quite considerable time to the import.

Edit: When I open BigBox via LaunchBox menu (hamburger) it doesn't load the theme. The symbolic links get created/removed from \Core when launching/closing?

image.thumb.png.f2f61a0bd59744b3713bc14fcd35274c.png

image.thumb.png.8bb35f26b092846a7422f8ed42a83e39.png

Debug 2020-08-08 09-41-35 AM.log

Edited by wallmachine
  • Like 1

The crashing seems to have been fixed, good work!

However, there still is another issue that beforehand I thought was part of the same problem: When clicking on a lot of games one after another and playing a video in the sidebar (and/or maximizing it) [not sure what exactly triggers it], suddenly all games' images are gone, even though they had all been cached and shown before. Sometimes after a minute or two they suddenly come back. But yeah, there still seems to be something wrong.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 1:31 PM, Jason Carr said:

Hi Wanderer, that is a possibility. We've worked hard to reproduce those crashes, and unfortunately haven't been able to, so most likely it does come down to something unique on your system. Generally, we do not recommend putting media specifically over the network, because it's pretty much guaranteed to cause performance issues at least. Games themselves can be huge, and I often do put those over the network without any real issues, but for media, it's definitely not recommended. For my relatively large collection, the media is still less than 200 gigs, so keeping the media local isn't too much of an issue. The games themselves (which end up being multiple terabytes) I do keep over the network without issues, so I wouldn't bother moving the games (only the media).

I just wanted to give a little update on the quoted issue. I have had crashing issues pretty much since v11 started. After 11.2 things got much worse. I updated to 11.3.10 last night, This morning, I have only been working with the editing side so far (where most all of my crashing was occurring), but in the last 2 solid hours of editing, I have NOT had a single crash. I would have had so many crashes previously in every version from 11 to 11.3.9, especially the 11.3.? versions

I have no idea what was changed in 11.3.10, but it has made a HUGE, HUGE difference for me. I haven't changed a single thing concerning my system, even still using 2 separate NAS drives (one for roms, one for media). 

Like I said, only updating info on all the crashing posts I have done during editing. Not tested anything else much. BETTER & BETTER!!!

• Like 1

my LB 11.2 was working perfectly until I tried to update to 11.3 b10, now I get this error everytime i start up LB.

I have tried downgrading to 11.2, and then it works perfectly again, but when i try to do new found update i am back to square one

Untitled 2.png

Edited by Kovu1102

Not sure if this is the right place to post this issue, but ...

LaunchBox's ROM import through TOOLs has failed to import two MAME roms. They're older games (1979's Sky Love being one, don't remember the other) but both work in MAME and have the media files as well. Yet, I just MANUALLY added Sky Love to LaunchBox via drag-'n'-drop with no issue.

Also worth noting: I used the MAME Arcade Full Set import in early 2019 after my LB/BB install, and from nosing around the entire library of MAME theme videos, it looks like several older MAME games like Sky Love were not imported. Is there a way I can scan my MAME ROMS folder again for the missing games and JUST the missing games? FYI: I keep my MAME app, ROMS, and files in a MAME folder inside of LaunchBox. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also, and this WAY, WAY, WAY off-topic -- please forgive/excuse my posting about it here -- but for the life of me I cannot find the Hyperspin Video of S.T.U.N. Runner. I know it was created a decade ago or so, but the video film to download has since simply vanished; it's nowhere to be found at EmuMovies -- only the gameplay/SNAP vid. Anyone have the THEME vid and know where I can find it?

S.T.U.N. Runner is such a cool, prominent, and important game -- one of Atari's great latter achievements in the arcade -- and it bugs me not to have its themed video.

Jason: I should mention that I was able to successfully reinstall a prior version of LB and, once it was running, jump forward to the latest beta. THANK YOU, again, for your help.

11 minutes ago, krofftsuperstar said:

LaunchBox's ROM import through TOOLs has failed to import two MAME roms. They're older games (1979's Sky Love being one, don't remember the other) but both work in MAME and have the media files as well. Yet, I just MANUALLY added Sky Love to LaunchBox via drag-'n'-drop with no issue.

Also worth noting: I used the MAME Arcade Full Set import in early 2019 after my LB/BB install, and from nosing around the entire library of MAME theme videos, it looks like several older MAME games like Sky Love were not imported. Is there a way I can scan my MAME ROMS folder again for the missing games and JUST the missing games? FYI: I keep my MAME app, ROMS, and files in a MAME folder inside of LaunchBox. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also, and this WAY, WAY, WAY off-topic -- please forgive/excuse my posting about it here -- but for the life of me I cannot find the Hyperspin Video of S.T.U.N. Runner. I know it was created a decade ago or so, but the video film to download has since simply vanished; it's nowhere to be found at EmuMovies -- only the gameplay/SNAP vid. Anyone have the THEME vid and know where I can find it?

S.T.U.N. Runner is such a cool, prominent, and important game -- one of Atari's great latter achievements in the arcade -- and it bugs me not to have its themed video.

Jason: I should mention that I was able to successfully reinstall a prior version of LB and, once it was running, jump forward to the latest beta. THANK YOU, again, for your help.

Since these are not actually related to the beta it would have been best to start a unqiue thread for them. With exception to your note to Jason since it is beta related.

This issue with Sky Love is likely due to the fact the Mame.xml lists that game's status as "Imperfect" so LB may be skipping games with an "Imperfect" status when importing it under the full Mame import option since that looks for good working roms.

I cannot answer on the STUN Runner video. Probably best to start a post in the Game Media subforum and see if anyone has it.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 12.20.45 PM.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krofftsuperstar said:

Sky Love is marked as "imperfect" in MAME, so was likely skipped. The fullset importer only imports games in "Good" working order by default, you can override this in the wizard, but who wants a ton of games imported that don't work?

image.thumb.png.aa8b61fc6957646c3d6de516cace0aba.png

• Like 2

Trying to launch any game on 11.3 Beta 10 (not sure about earlier betas) results in the "This operation requires elevation privileges" message that can occur if you run LB as an admin and then try going back to running it at the user level, even though this is not the case for my current install (User owns all files/folders within the LB directory and has permissions set to full control). Reverting to 11.2 stable avoids the issues without any changes to LB files.

Not sure what 11.3 Beta 10 is trying to do or what files it is trying to access that needs admin privileges and I'm guessing it isn't intentional.

1 hour ago, oblivioncth said:

Trying to launch any game on 11.3 Beta 10 (not sure about earlier betas) results in the "This operation requires elevation privileges" message that can occur if you run LB as an admin and then try going back to running it at the user level, even though this is not the case for my current install (User owns all files/folders within the LB directory and has permissions set to full control). Reverting to 11.2 stable avoids the issues without any changes to LB files.

Not sure what 11.3 Beta 10 is trying to do or what files it is trying to access that needs admin privileges and I'm guessing it isn't intentional.

Which emulators? I have just tested Retroarch here and that works just fine as usual, no elevation prompt.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Which emulators? I have just tested Retroarch here and that works just fine as usual, no elevation prompt.

I haven't tested it with anything other than Retroarch, but strangely enough I'm able to open Retroarch through LB by right clicking on any game that uses it and using the corresponding option. The prompt only appears when I try to actually launch a game, additional apps included. It makes me wonder if the rom files are the issue but I believe LB has the same exact permissions with those as well.

Found a new issue guys with LaunchBox passing the following variable %launchboxorbigboxexepath%. In my case returns L:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.dll

Should be L:\LaunchBox 

Which I am sure will break RocketLauncher as well.

Edited by Krakerman

I uploaded a video way back in the 11 betas where audio from video snap gets stuck sometimes, even when you go to another game with a different video snap, only way to stop it is to close LB and wait for LB backup process to end. That is still occurring, just thought I would let someone know. 

But I was able to edit for hours yesterday without a single crash

I may have asked this before: If it isn't to hard to add, it sure would be nice to have "Open Videos Folder" added to the context menu since all the new video stuff has been added to LB, JMO