LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme 2.03

(22 reviews)

5 Screenshots

About This File

# WHAT IS COLORFUL MEDIA SET ?
COLORFUL is a complete and coherent high quality graphic set, around a unique design. Made with love in France. Hope you like it!!

COLORFUL_Banner_v2.thumb.jpg.cc3347194aedf12be1e85d8640be0d23.jpg

OFFICIAL COLORFUL ASSET :

RECOMMENDED COMMUNITY ASSET :

# HERE IS COLORFUL THEME FOR BIGBOX:
On this page we are talking about COLORFUL Theme for BigBox:
Design for work with my platform video set, COLORFUL THEME is thought to be used on the big screen (TV) in gaming console mode.
Modern, elegant and animated are the key words of this interface.

The COLORFUL project is getting too big for me alone.
@faeran  has taken over the source code of the theme. A BIG THANKS to you for your support and your precious help !! :x

# IN DETAIL ?
The main features :

• 16:9 only. (Works on other ratio, but with black bands)
  • Full 4K asset. (Any resolution must work, 4K assets)
  • Totally responsive. No resolution deformation on text size or placement.
  • Because of the white/black background, some ClearLogo comes with the theme.
  • Gamepad connection indicator & battery level.

# RECOMMENDATION ?
Any design choice gives limitations. Here are some recommendations for this theme :

• LaunchBox/BigBox up to date.
  • VLC highly recommended.
  • Design for work with COLORFUL platform video set. (but you can use any video you what)
  • Beware of full white/black ClearLogo. They will be invisible on Light/Dark views!
  • I didnt test this theme on a lowend configuration. There may be slowdown. (Curious to have your feedback on this subject!)

# COOL, HOW TO DOWNLOAD ?
2 ways

1.  In Windows : Right here, with the download button. Extract the "Colorful" folder and place it in your "LaunchBox/Themes" directory.   (dont rename it!)
  2.  In BigBox : Option > Theme manager > Found "COLORFUL - Light" or "COLORFUL - Dark"

# HOW TO EDIT ?
You can now edit this theme within the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files below (current version from the CTC 2.3):

# SPECIAL THANKS !

# CREDITS !

# BY FILE, EVERY CUSTOM VIEW SUMMARY  (Here in LIGHT. Same principle/animation for DARK)

• PlatformWheel1FiltersView.xaml
  • v2_PlatformWheel1FiltersView.thumb.gif.c5efedc6b7a6e4bd4962a12beeee0aec.gif
  • PlatformWheel2FiltersView.xaml
  • v2_PlatformWheel2FiltersView.thumb.gif.c22bf2a1583f94b203079adde1f813e4.gif
  • WheelGamesView.xaml :
  •  474073990_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Light-WheelGamesView-2022-04-0713_15_51.thumb.jpg.43f1b19a91943b09dd8d76b8d0947516.jpg
  • Wheel2GamesView.xaml :
  • 634414446_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Light-Wheel2GamesView-2022-04-0713_16_13.thumb.jpg.7bfa1eeb24d854f4d380e139c60f5a1e.jpg
  • TextGamesView.xaml :
  • 555591633_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Light-TextGamesView-2022-04-0713_17_17.thumb.jpg.cf0e7cbf54f36b556cd4aba64dae5171.jpg

What's New in Version 2.03   See changelog

Released

• Fix animations in certain views when backing out of the Game Details menu.
  • Potentially other small fixes here and there.
  • Like 56
  • Thanks 12
  • Game On 5
  • Unusual Gem 14

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@viking those transitions look so sexy and professional! I love how this theme is shaping up :)

Just food for thought: inverted/black version?

I am following this thread now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks brilliant! But are those colourful videos cropped? They look much narrowed with less free space at the sides than the ones I have downloaded.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

Looks brilliant! But are those colourful videos cropped? They look much narrowed with less free space at the sides than the ones I have downloaded.

They are centered to the screen to fit the height with the sides hidden behind the bg.

• Thanks 1

OK! 3min and first bug!  ? Still in beta, remember it!
I have not finished writing all the presentation text yet. It misses the recommendations.
I do not understand this problem. Probably the fact that I am with BigBox v.10 (beta)? And you in 9.10 (stable)?

Otherwise, thanks for the comments. And no, the videos are not cropped, but animated by the theme. This is my video set exactly as you can download it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, viking said:

OK! 3min and first bug!  ? Still in beta, remember it!
I have not finished writing all the presentation text yet. It misses the recommendations.
I do not understand this problem. Probably the fact that I am with BigBox v.10 (beta)? And you in 9.10 (stable)?

Otherwise, thanks for the comments. And no, the videos are not cropped, but animated by the theme. This is my video set exactly as you can download it.

I Updated v10-beta 6 and... Voila... It's working just fine... I'm not sure what problem is but theme working on beta perfectly. I'm sure when theme got full release, you guys solved all problems.

Thanks again and yeah this theme is awesome :D

• Thanks 1

For some reason I can't get this to work. Nothing happens when I go to apply it as my theme. It just reverts to the default theme. I did make sure that I am running the latest 10.0 version so I do not know what else it could be.

1 hour ago, EdenSerrot said:

For some reason I can't get this to work. Nothing happens when I go to apply it as my theme. It just reverts to the default theme. I did make sure that I am running the latest 10.0 version so I do not know what else it could be.

Download the zip file from here and extract on the themes folder on launchbox directory, then inside Big Box go to options>views>theme and chose "colorful". Downloading inside BigBox didn't work for me either, but manual install works.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Palada said:

Download the zip file from here and extract on the themes folder on launchbox directory, then inside Big Box go to options>views>theme and chose "colorful". Downloading inside BigBox didn't work for me either, but manual install works.

Thanks this worked like a dream!

• Like 1

Can't wait to try this. One comment from looking at the video - the system information text is truncated and has to scroll, though there is blank space above it that could be used to mitigate this. See screenshot:

Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 10.27.38.png

Wow !! Thank you for your feedback ! ?
I will try to answer everyone:

@lordoftorrents : Happy to see that it works!

@EdenSerrot : I will look at the side of the theme manager to see where the problem comes from. Thank you for the feedback !

@Retrofrogg : It's not a bug, it's a feature! ? The top space is reserved for the game name. If it is longer, it will occupy the top space and push up the platform name and special icons. In this view, the information text is reduced because the information banner is larger. (2 lines) The other view has a reduced one. (1 line)
Here is a exemple with a long game name & a "fav" icon :728716509_BigBoxScreenshot-Colorful-Wheel2GamesView-2019-09-1011_55_08.thumb.jpg.2bebc1391218145e99a63e517be3e879.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, I see! I suppose that this theme is more aimed at TV setups, or where the player sits a distance from the screen (big game name text, etc). I would prefer if the information in that side bar could be smaller so that more information could be squeezed into it - the 4 boxes (release date, rating, age, players) is nice but this information could be squeezed onto a couple of text lines probably. Everyone will have their own preferences though. I'm going to try making some themes soon, so you can critique mine ;)

Ahah, no problem ! 
Yes, I thought this theme for use on a TV, so at a safe distance from the screen.

Edited by viking
  • Like 1

Just to clarify - are the video snaps inside the platform folders cropped to 4:3? The game video themes, not the platform animations. 

What will happen to 16:9 game video themes? 

Edited by Thornback

No, you have nothing to do with game video snap.
This is the theme that comes to hide a part of it. No video files are modified.
Same for the platform videos, by the way !

EDIT
The theme work with any video ratio or format. 16:9, 4:3 or fancy Nintendo DS video. The theme must manage them, without distortion or modification.
That's why the gameplay video doesn't pop in full screen, like platforms view. Because of the variety of video format.
For platform video, I still recommend a classic 16: 9 format, but it must work with anything !

Edited by viking
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, viking said:

No, you have nothing to do with game video snap.
This is the theme that comes to hide a part of it. No video files are modified.
Same for the platform videos, by the way !

Ok thanks. That’s what I meant (i.e. 16:9 videos have the sides cropped/hidden automatically by your theme). 

Appreciate the advice. 

Edited by Thornback

Heya Viking, great job as always! :)

Very slick-looking and I love the transitions.

I do have two personal issues with the theme, though (doesn't mean it needs to change, of course!)

Firstly, it works great with the COLORFUL videos. However, I have tons of systems (some of them quite obscure) and for most of them I've got a NOSTALGIA video (and I guess you won't make COLORFUL videos for that many systems). The problem is that the Nostalgia videos don't work very well with this theme, they get pushed to the right and half of the system is out of the screen.

Secondly, but that's really just personal preference, the game box art is covering up too much of the video screen. But to be honest, I don't have a better suggestion right now where else to put it...

Either way, great work and keep it up! ^_^

I realized that Nostalgia videos are not designed to work well with this theme.
But you are wrong: I intend to cover at least as much system with COLORFUL as with Nostalgia! ? If time allows it !

About boxArt size, yes, it's actually a design bias. 
In my opinion, the gameplay video is very important for the general atmosphere. But we dont study it for hours before playing the game. So, the 4:3 crop and the BoxArt are not too important sacrifice.  IMO of course.
I have other GameView in mind, but I am limited by the TextGameView. (Who will always be the same in a theme) The design must remains coherent betwen views!

Oh, well, I am looking forward to all those COLORFUL videos ^_^

However, I think some of the ones I've got might have later been made by other people (I know this because some of them look rather shitty *lol*).

While those are not as good, I'm glad to have them because it's even worse to have no video for a system or one that has a completely different style.

Edited by EgoBizarro

Well done! Theme looks really slick! Possible for a black version perhaps? I too think that the box art is covers a bit to much of the video, but I don't know either where to put it.  All in all, it looks awesome!