LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

Hmm, well that would be the issue then. It sounds like it's having trouble creating the Temp folder for some reason, which doesn't really make sense outside of a permissions issue, but if LaunchBox is running and working well, then there really shouldn't be any permissions issues, so I don't know. You can try manually creating a Temp folder inside of your Metadata folder to see if that helps.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey all, unfortunately I really botched the 7.2 release (and to a lesser extent to the 7.1 release for that matter). I'm putting out the 7.3 release shortly; I'd really appreciate if you guys could update and test things when you can. We've had some major issues with some of the VLC changes that have been a bear to fix (specifically I messed up a bunch of stuff when I added the VideoControl for the background videos). New release will be up shortly.

Hi Jason,

No problem these things happen :). From quick testing the big performance issue with the background video playback in the city hunter theme seems solved for me with the 7.3:

- Theme background video in the city hunter theme now stops when launching a game / emulator and CPU usage is much lower now.

There are two issues left for me:

- Scrolling info notes in the theme keep scrolling while emulator is launched / running, which causes CPU usage to vary between 0% (scrolling note is stopped) to 3 to 4% (scrolling note is scrolling). It would be very nice to have an option to disable scrolling of the notes when the theme is "inactive" (i.e. after a game / emulator is launched). Which would put Big Box cpu usage down further.

- After exiting a game the background video in the city hunter theme remains paused. It only start playing again when I "ESC" the category/platform  I'm in.

Other than that I just wanted to say that Big Box with the Critical Zone City Hunter theme is unbelievably good. Stunning. I'm soo happy with it. Thanks to you and both theme developers.

Thanks again for all the effort you're putting into making this so great :)

Edited by Rod
  • Like 2

Thanks for confirming all that for me, @Rod. Great to hear.

Good point on the scrolling notes; I'll add that to my list. Also working on the non-resuming background videos issue.

I'll be putting out only betas for a bit here to perfect everything; thankfully I think the trainwrecks have all been fixed in 7.3. Let me know if anyone else is seeing any major issues with it.

@ckp Unfortunately not yet. I'll look at that soon; it's on my shortlist.

A new beta is out with fixes for a few issues:

- Improvement: In order to reduce CPU usage while playing games, the scrolling text now pauses when Big Box is not in focus

- Fixed: Videos in Big Box were not resuming when going back from the game details screen the first time

- Fixed: Big Box Background videos were not always resuming after playing games

We're still in bugfix mode, though all the glaring bugs should hopefully be fixed. We're going to take our time fixing as many things as possible and then we'll put out one last official release before tackling new features. :)

• Like 3

@Jason Carr , related to cpu, if I watch task manager launchbox.exe while LB is just sitting there, I see the cpu spike up about every 5 seconds.

I'm concerned if this also happens while in game? Does LB stop doing this when not in focus I hope? Is this related to your cpu fix or just something that has always been there?

Edited by ckp

57 minutes ago, ckp said:

@Jason Carr , related to cpu, if I watch task manager launchbox.exe while LB is just sitting there, I see the cpu spike up about every 5 seconds.

I'm concerned if this also happens while in game? Does LB stop doing this when not in focus I hope? Is this related to your cpu fix or just something that has always been there?

I'm getting consistently less than 1% CPU usage in LaunchBox while games are running. Yes, LaunchBox stops most of its background processing when not in focus. You're probably seeing the background caching going on, I'm guessing.

According to Performance Monitor, while logging cpu usage for launchbox.exe only when a MAME game is running and in focus, it is showing ~11% cpu usage exactly every 5 seconds. I have 4 cpu cores.

I don't think that will help me when running cpu intensive games and emulators.

Edited by ckp

2 hours ago, ckp said:

According to Performance Monitor, while logging cpu usage for launchbox.exe only when a MAME game is running and in focus, it is showing ~11% cpu usage exactly every 5 seconds. I have 4 cpu cores.

I don't think that will help me when running cpu intensive games and emulators.

So it only happens when MAME is active? Not when MAME isn't running?

8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

So it only happens when MAME is active? Not when MAME isn't running?

I'm assuming it happens when any emulator is running or just not having LB in focus. When LB is in focus and idle, I think it also uses this amount of cpu, which was my original statement. It seems like the "background caching" is still using up cpu when not in focus, or something about LB is using cpu.

So, if you're only seeing 1% in task manager (times the number of cores) with your LB not in focus, I'm guessing you see that same amount when your LB is in focus (but idle).

I'd like to see it take no cpu at all when not in focus, because I'm cpu bound on some stuff.

Edit: I'm taking my cpu sampling using Performance Monitor (built into Windows) with it set to log LB usage every second. Task manager isn't really a great tool for checking this.

Edited by ckp

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

There is already an older thread called LB beta testing that ended when 6.8 came out this one is for 6.8 + so 7.x would fall into that

Yeah I get that, but so much has changed from 6.8 to 7.3 behind the scenes, that newcomers might be a bit lost?

9 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

For example there are 66 pages to trawl through, If they have just jumped into launchbox, say over the Christmas period, 60 pages of that is garbage to them!

Just a thought though.

Never ending thread! This one's open until Jason manages to complete every request in these 66 pages followed  by Big Box becoming self aware and closing the thread itself.  xD

(that is not a dig, it's just highlighting how much stuff was brought up, it's been a wild ride) 

Edited by ThePolish
Clarification
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

There is already an older thread called LB beta testing that ended when 6.8 came out this one is for 6.8 + so 7.x would fall into that

You missed my point entirely!!! Yes as you say this thread will stay here forever cause its 6.8 plus. My point is so much has changed that a lot of information on this thread no longer applies.