LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr One thing I noticed when I downloaded the new beta is the Background folder was not automatically created in the Music folder. Its not a big deal as I just created one manually but it could maybe confuse new users who do not keep up with the beta thread but other than that it seems to be working great thus far.

Awesome addition and great job!!

• Like 1

@Jason Carr Still receiving the same error with VisualStudio relating to the coverFlow this has only happened since 7.4 and newest beta the themes work fine in Visual studio if i roll back to the 7.3 beta no exceptions, so it is definitely something that was introduced in the last two betas, am on windows 7 and am editing the themes from within LaunchBox and the Theme folders funny thing is even with the error i can still change the coverflow properties in the code but not the grid itself every time i click on coverflow it throws the exception box and i can view the offending exception cannot create an instance of coverflow, (which is a bummer as am creating a new theme) it happens no matter what theme i download or use in visualstudio.  See Screenshot of the exception.

Untitled.png

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@Maddoc1007 I'm a bit puzzled on that issue still as I can't seem to replicate it, even with the files you sent me. Everything works properly for me in Visual Studio with those themes. Maybe make sure you're editing the themes from inside the LaunchBox Themes folder? Visual Studio does need the EXE and DLL files from LaunchBox itself to be in place for it to work properly.

@cormegaman I fixed a couple of the videos that had the wrong names on the server, so that should resolve TurboGrafx. I also swapped out the Super Nintendo one for the US version. We do indeed need a way to list the available videos and allow you to choose between them; I'm not quite sure what we're going to do there yet.

@sagaopc Screenshots from Steam is a good idea, though probably not a high priority. We should put in a ticket for it though for sure.

@popy I don't think anything we've just released would fix any issues with Bluetooth gamepads.

@drtechnolust I am aware of that Documentation.pdf issue but it keeps slipping on me. I'll get to it here before 7.0.

@Jason Carr

When the fix is planned?
Currently i and others cant use out gamepagds.
Issue: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1695/settings-for-scroll-speed-repeat-up-and

Edited by popy

13 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@Norfair I was able to replicate that issue and I think I have it fixed for the next beta (though I added a bunch more complicated stuff so it could use some more testing). :)

I have tested both VLC and WMP in beta 5 and the issue is gone.:)

I see some differences between VLC and WMP. When returning to a previous view WMP always restarts the video from the start, while VLC continues playing the video where it was (like pause/unpause). But I can't see any issues anymore.

• Like 3

This happens when I click on a platform to open the games menu. 

After switching from CriticalZonev1.1 to CleanBG I received the following error. This error does not occur if I go back to CriticalZonev1.1 without changing any other features in options.  I thought with the new beta by switching themes it will inherit features that need to be turned off or on automatically. 

An error occurred while parsing the custom TextGamesView. The default view is shown instead. Details on the error are below:

An error occurred while parsing the custom GameDetailsView. The default view is shown instead. Details on the error are below:

Version 7.0-beta-5

2016-11-09_10-47-44.png

Edited by drtechnolust

The new music feature is awesome! I’m really diggin’ it. :)

Nonetheless I have a few suggestions for improving it:

- Navigation elements for the music in LaunchBox would be great as well. Right now it’s impossible to skip to the next song in the game soundtrack playlists or simply pause the music. I think of a small navigation bar at the bottom which also features info's about the currently playing song.

- A button/key for showing/hiding the Music On-Screen Display while the music is playing would be useful as well in case you have missed the display at the beginning of the song and want to know how it's called.

- It would be great if the background music folder would support subfolders

• Like 1

@kmoney Ah, good point. Added the folder creation to my list.

@Maddoc1007 I still don't understand what's going on there, sadly. I wonder if @CriticalCid or any of the other theme developers have any ideas? Am I going insane here guys? @CriticalCid, do you have any issues editing things visually when opening up themes in Visual Studio in the latest betas?

@popy I'll have to take a look at that at some point soon. It's difficult to figure out what the problem is without having one of those gamepads; you're saying the issue is that it scrolls through the list too quickly? At some point it's probably worth just buying a decent gamepad (like a 360 controller) rather than coming up with solutions for every single weird Chinese device.

Thank you @Norfair; good to hear.

@drtechnolust I'll look into those errors. Looks like maybe that theme isn't migration properly. Can you check to see if you have a 7.0.1.txt file in the CleanBG theme folder? If so, try deleting it and re-opening Big Box with the theme. Let me know if that fixes it.

Alright, new beta is out guys that supports platform categories (groups) in LaunchBox only (so far):

LaunchBox-Platform-Categories.pngIn theory, any recognized platforms should automatically have these new categories attached once the new beta is loaded up. You can customize the categories to be whatever you want by editing the platforms under Tools > Manage Platforms. You'll have to select "Platform Category" from the drop down on the top of the side bar to pull them up.

I would say this is a start to the interface for nested filters in LaunchBox as well. It's a ways off, but in theory eventually we'll be able to use the same style of interface to filter by both Platform and Genre (for example), or even Platform Manufacture and Platform.

I also cleaned up navigating with the keyboard or a controller in the sidebar to be a lot smoother so that it doesn't immediately try and repopulate every time you move to a new selection. Let me know how it's working for you guys.

Now we just need to figure out how to do this in Big Box as well...

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@CriticalCid The music does support navigation using the new key and controller bindings for Next Track and Previous Track. However, there is no pause, currently.

Just to make sure, I meant LaunchBox and not Big Box.

I also checked my theme in Visual Studio and can confirm the issue that @Maddoc1007 has. I noticed that it doesn’t occur for me when I load up the xaml file in VS the first time but when I switch to another tab/file within VS and go back to it is the error suddenly there. That problem is reproducible for me because everything is fine when I close the xaml file and open it again until I switch tabs again.

For the categories in Big Box I would probably like a 2 layer platform system. At the first layer you have all categories listed and if you choose one you come to the second layer with all the associated platforms. The categories would need to be treated similar like platforms though as they would need all the media like clear logos and videos as well.

Hi Jason.

I've just tried out the new beta (7.6) and the new Platform Categories view works fine after I added platforms that were not initially recognised.

However, when I switch from Platform Categories back to Platforms view then all the platforms are no longer in alphabetical order in the left sidebar.

Hi Jason.

The issue with the out of order Platforms when switching from Platform Categories back to Platforms appears to be linked to the games counts feature in the left sidebar.

The issue appears when game counts are enabled, but the Platforms list in correct alphabetical order when this feature is turned off.

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@drtechnolust I'll look into those errors. Looks like maybe that theme isn't migration properly. Can you check to see if you have a 7.0.1.txt file in the CleanBG theme folder? If so, try deleting it and re-opening Big Box with the theme. Let me know if that fixes it.

Unfortunately, there is no "7.0.1.txt" file in the folder. 

On ‎09‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 1:52 AM, Jason Carr said:

@Maddoc1007 I'm a bit puzzled on that issue still as I can't seem to replicate it, even with the files you sent me. Everything works properly for me in Visual Studio with those themes. Maybe make sure you're editing the themes from inside the LaunchBox Themes folder? Visual Studio does need the EXE and DLL files from LaunchBox itself to be in place for it to work properly.

@cormegaman I fixed a couple of the videos that had the wrong names on the server, so that should resolve TurboGrafx. I also swapped out the Super Nintendo one for the US version. We do indeed need a way to list the available videos and allow you to choose between them; I'm not quite sure what we're going to do there yet.

@sagaopc Screenshots from Steam is a good idea, though probably not a high priority. We should put in a ticket for it though for sure.

@popy I don't think anything we've just released would fix any issues with Bluetooth gamepads.

@drtechnolust I am aware of that Documentation.pdf issue but it keeps slipping on me. I'll get to it here before 7.0.

@Jason Carr

I have sent the Gamepads back to Amazon and they will be refunded :D
Will try to get xbox 360 wireless Controller instead.

Are the 360 Controllers 100% compatible with LaunchBox/BigBox?

thx
pOpY