LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

33 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thank you @paulmichel21; I will look into that.

Beta 10 is out now guys with a few fixes:

- The VLC NULL reference issue was still happening because I completely missed what was causing the problem; I really hope this one is finally fixed now lol. This was happening for people who were using music without videos or who were using WMP for the videos.

- Platform-specific image types were not being remembered/used properly in LaunchBox when using the new platform category filter type

- The issue with using the same platform name ("Arcade") as platform category (also "Arcade") has been fixed; the filters should now work properly in that case

Also, some questions for you guys. Does anyone who uses custom fields extensively want to do some performance testing with these latest changes? Or would you mind sharing your Data folder with me? I need to know if the recent performance fixes did anything to resolve performance issues with custom fields.

Finally, what are you guys' thoughts on getting rid of the Windows Media Player video playback engine option? Now that VLC is fixed and is not causing problems it seems to be the best choice by far (performance is better and there's a bug or two that still exists with WMP that is not an issue with VLC). Does anyone know of any good reasons to keep WMP? Is anyone still choosing to use WMP? If WMP is worse in all aspects and isn't really providing any added value, then it's not worth my efforts to keep working with it. Thanks all. :)

AWESOME!!! Seems that everything is back to normal, thanks again Jason.  You guys are the best!
For sure when ever is possible for me I will def upgrade my membership ;)
And have been a VLC user for a long time now in my case.

A couple Christmas wishes? :)
Is it possible to save my lists? Have edited and deleted a bunch, worry that I have to do everything again and...
If is not too hard to do, I would love separate Background Video Fade options for Platforms and Games, very customizable. 
Feel kinda bad asking but they are just suggestions, super happy with my decision of going all Launchbox over Hyperspin no matter what.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Thank you @paulmichel21; I will look into that.

Beta 10 is out now guys with a few fixes:

- The VLC NULL reference issue was still happening because I completely missed what was causing the problem; I really hope this one is finally fixed now lol. This was happening for people who were using music without videos or who were using WMP for the videos.

- Platform-specific image types were not being remembered/used properly in LaunchBox when using the new platform category filter type

- The issue with using the same platform name ("Arcade") as platform category (also "Arcade") has been fixed; the filters should now work properly in that case

Also, some questions for you guys. Does anyone who uses custom fields extensively want to do some performance testing with these latest changes? Or would you mind sharing your Data folder with me? I need to know if the recent performance fixes did anything to resolve performance issues with custom fields.

Finally, what are you guys' thoughts on getting rid of the Windows Media Player video playback engine option? Now that VLC is fixed and is not causing problems it seems to be the best choice by far (performance is better and there's a bug or two that still exists with WMP that is not an issue with VLC). Does anyone know of any good reasons to keep WMP? Is anyone still choosing to use WMP? If WMP is worse in all aspects and isn't really providing any added value, then it's not worth my efforts to keep working with it. Thanks all. :)

I still use WMP because for some unknown reason videos have no sound when I choose the vlc engine.

1 hour ago, paulmichel21 said:

VLC works perfect for me ... vote for you to remove it wmp.

WMP works far better for me than VLC, I get random freezing lately with VLC. And my system isn't very old: 4790k, 16GB Ram, AMD R9 390. I'll try VLC again tonight to see if the issue is gone.

Edited by OmenBoy

Hi,

The new platform videos that can be accessed by going to tools and clicking Download Platform Theme Videos do not show up when I switch into Bigbox. It says that 6 videos were downloaded successfully, and when I go to my launchbox install folder and go into videos and then platforms, I see them there. I have the CriticalZone version 1.2 theme active, and use platform background videos is checked in options. 

How do I fix this?

• Like 1

I have been using VLC for a while now and everything seems to be fine for the most part. I guess one other thing that VLC has glitches with that WMP doesnt is have that weird green lines/pixelation on some webm videos. Of course you have to have k-lite plugin installed to even get webm videos to work with wmp but it doesnt have the green scrambled videos. Its not a deal breaker by any means but just wanted to point it out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hipp1eguy said:

Hi,

The new platform videos that can be accessed by going to tools and clicking Download Platform Theme Videos do not show up when I switch into Bigbox. It says that 6 videos were downloaded successfully, and when I go to my launchbox install folder and go into videos and then platforms, I see them there. I have the CriticalZone version 1.2 theme active, and use platform background videos is checked in options. 

How do I fix this?

Hey,
Try putting your videos on
?:\LaunchBox\Themes\CriticalZone(v1.2)\Videos\Platforms

8 minutes ago, hipp1eguy said:

I tried that, and now loading both launchbox and  bigbox will freeze. Neither will load.

Sorry to hear, you MOVE them right? no copy.  Undo and you should be back to your earlier state.

My Launchbox have never freeze so far, knocking on wood
Good luck!

34 minutes ago, salyangel said:

@Jason Carr I send you a video to see the wheel activity and the fade in and out between RocketLauncher.

BigBox_7_Beta_10.m4v

I used to have this same problem and for me the fix was to move my launch box install with all the media to an SSD and keep all the games/roms on a traditional mechanical drive.  It is pretty easy to do this without any changes using symlinks or you can do a xml edits.

The experience became night and date different.

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@paulmichel21 I just tested and confirmed that the AutoHotkey stuff is working properly for the Escape event script above; I'm not sure what might be happening on your system. What happens if you put in this script instead?

$Esc::
{
    MsgBox, TEST
}

Do you get a message box popping up when you press Escape?

Ok i try this.... i press Escape but nothing happen .  and i try with code escape but nothing happen too

On 11/15/2016 at 4:04 PM, Elber said:

AWESOME!!! Seems that everything is back to normal, thanks again Jason.  You guys are the best!
For sure when ever is possible for me I will def upgrade my membership ;)
And have been a VLC user for a long time now in my case.

A couple Christmas wishes? :)
Is it possible to save my lists? Have edited and deleted a bunch, worry that I have to do everything again and...
If is not too hard to do, I would love separate Background Video Fade options for Platforms and Games, very customizable. 
Feel kinda bad asking but they are just suggestions, super happy with my decision of going all Launchbox over Hyperspin no matter what.

The ability to Ctrl "Unselect" would be an awesome upgrade too, some day.  Have a great week guys!! 

Edited by Elber

Hi @Jason Carr

There are problems then searching the LB DB using the new feature Alternate Name.

I don't know if you would categorize this as a bug. I know Alternate Name is new and I don't know if this is supposed to work in 7.0.

Anyway, I've created a ticket on Bitbucket: 

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1941/using-alternate-name-when-searching-the-lb

On 8/26/2016 at 2:16 AM, Zombeaver said:

I'm happy to report that the %romfile% works for the purposes of loading multi-disk Atari ST games in Steem.

Similarly to @lordmonkus's Daphne example, it's not exactly just "click a button and you're done" but it's an option that didn't exist previously so that's great!

In order to instruct Steem to insert the first disk into drive A and the second into drive B via command line, the rom files have to be listed in order so you choose the first disk as your rom through LB:

Atari ST Multidisk - 1.jpgThen you add in the command line parameter and after %romfile% just include the path to the second disk:

Atari ST Multidisk - 2.jpgAnd voila:

Atari ST Multidisk - 3.jpgIt boots up properly and you can swap between the disks as necessary when prompted (via a combination of buttons on the controller if you assign them in the emulator's hotkeys).

Thanks Jason!

I wondered if you have to import disk 2 of a multi disk game into Launchbox for this to work. So many duplicate images from multi disk games??

1 hour ago, InfinityFox said:

I wondered if you have to import disk 2 of a multi disk game into Launchbox for this to work. So many duplicate images from multi disk games??

No, the second disk is added in the command line parameters section like I showed in the screenshot. Only the first disk is imported into your LB library.

On 11/15/2016 at 0:04 PM, Jason Carr said:

I vote to dump WMP. :)

On 11/15/2016 at 10:04 AM, Jason Carr said:

Finally, what are you guys' thoughts on getting rid of the Windows Media Player video playback engine option?

I hope you will keep the WMP option because Launchbox has always crashed on me with the VLC setting when transitioning from LB to the full screen game when launching. I would prefer to use VLC but I have never been able to due to this bug. I filed it in bitbucket and on this forum a while back, but it was never fixed. I'm still on 6.12 and it still exists on 6.12.

Edit: here is the bitbucket link:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1670/610-beta-3-vlc-crashing-lunchbox

Edited by ckp