LaunchBox Community Forums

On 12/3/2017 at 1:56 PM, CriticalCid said:

Updated to v2.2!

Changelog:

v2.2 - LB v7.15 Beta (12/03/2017)
Updated: @eatkinola’s video engine for the background videos was updated to the latest version. 
	It now uses WMP or VLC (prior it only used WMP) based on your "Video Playback Engine" settings in BigBox. If you have performance problems try to change the video engine first and see if that helps.

I think the changelog is pretty much self-explanatory, huge thanks to @eatkinola for constantly working on refining the engine!

I'm really interested to hear from you guys how the new version performs for you, please let me know :)

Is this for the blue version of the theme as well? I downloaded it but I only see the green version.

1 hour ago, Styphelus said:

Is this for the blue version of the theme as well? I downloaded it but I only see the green version.

Yes, I always update all versions of CZ. Like neil already said you want the BlueBox version.

1 hour ago, Charco said:

@CriticalCid, do you think you will be adding star icons for the star ratings in the game details screen? I know this is a brand new feature but it'd definitely look nicer than a numerical value. 

Not sure what you mean, are you talking about the community ratings? Your personal ratings are shown as an ESRB like banner since V2.0.

Personally I don't use any ratings at all and only added it because a few people were always asking about it over and over again. Now that BigBox natively supports them I have yet to decide if I'll add community ratings as banners as well or just remove the personal rating ones. And to be honest I highly tend to the latter solution because I just don't care enough about them to want to put more time and work on this and asking eatkinola to do the same as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charco said:

@CriticalCid, do you think you will be adding star icons for the star ratings in the game details screen? I know this is a brand new feature but it'd definitely look nicer than a numerical value. 

I thought they got removed in one of the latest updates to Launchox. Last week I had stars instead of a numerical value. Updated Launchox to the latest beta 2 days ago and now I only get a numerical value.

@criticalcid , so i'm having a strange issue i've been unable to resolve.  I was clearing out some themes today and noticed Criticalzone keeps reappearing on every launchbox open, after I've deleted it.  I've checked my data files and there isn't any reference to it.  Any idea why this could be happening?

8 hours ago, Charco said:

No problem Cid, thanks for your reply.

I may come back to it. It’s just that I’ve recently started a new job and the little free time I got now I’d like to spend with some other projects I still have on my table :)

6 hours ago, Styphelus said:

I thought they got removed in one of the latest updates to Launchox. Last week I had stars instead of a numerical value. Updated Launchox to the latest beta 2 days ago and now I only get a numerical value.

I just checked it and you’re right. The last time I’ve checked it BigBox showed the rating as stars instead of the raw numbers. Don’t know why @Jason Carr has changed that, the stars looked WAY better.

4 hours ago, bmonomad said:

@criticalcid , so i'm having a strange issue i've been unable to resolve.  I was clearing out some themes today and noticed Criticalzone keeps reappearing on every launchbox open, after I've deleted it.  I've checked my data files and there isn't any reference to it.  Any idea why this could be happening?

That’s because CriticalZone V1 is bundled with LaunchBox itself and every file that comes with LB gets restored on startup to make sure that everything works as intended. So unfortunately there’s no way to get rid of it completely. V2 has yet to be added to the LB setup as the video engine still has some issues that we need to resolve before.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 12:38 AM, CriticalCid said:

I may come back to it. It’s just that I’ve recently started a new job and the little free time I got now I’d like to spend with some other projects I still have on my table :)

I just checked it and you’re right. The last time I’ve checked it BigBox showed the rating as stars instead of the raw numbers. Don’t know why @Jason Carr has changed that, the stars looked WAY better.

That’s because CriticalZone V1 is bundled with LaunchBox itself and every file that comes with LB gets restored on startup to make sure that everything works as intended. So unfortunately there’s no way to get rid of it completely. V2 has yet to be added to the LB setup as the video engine still has some issues that we need to resolve before.

Congrats on your new job, Cid. :)

Yeah, when I added partial star ratings, there was no way to use star text characters to display partial ratings, so I had to settle for the numeric values. We'd have to use custom theming to show proper stars with partial values.

55 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Congrats on your new job, Cid. :)

Yeah, when I added partial star ratings, there was no way to use star text characters to display partial ratings, so I had to settle for the numeric values. We'd have to use custom theming to show proper stars with partial values.

Why do we need partial values? I would rather have stars than partial values. How o you determine partial values anyway? What's the difference between a 4.2 and a 4.3 game? Just give it a rating of 4. Stars look so much better than a number.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Styphelus said:

Why do we need partial values? I would rather have stars than partial values. How o you determine partial values anyway? What's the difference between a 4.2 and a 4.3 game? Just give it a rating of 4. Stars look so much better than a number.

I believe Jason is referring to half star values not .2 or .3, I noticed the star rating change over the weekend and I will have to update my Theme to allow for half stars, no biggie.

3 hours ago, Styphelus said:

Kinda gotta agree If partial value is preventing the stars from working. Then I would rather see stars working with whole stars. 

I hear you guys. As a developer I'm not happy with putting out false or confusing information like this, such as showing one value in one spot of the app and another value in another. That said, we can work with theme developers going forward (and get something in the default theme as well) to present the star ratings properly.