LaunchBox Community Forums

Transparent Arcade Cabinets > Calling an Army of Photoshoppers

Mr. RetroLust

1 hour ago, FRETW1ZARD said:

Hi everyone I'm glad this project is kicking off. I have a question though: where would we have to upload these images/ who do we need to speak to in order to get them adopted as official meta data? In other words, how do we make it so that launchbox can automatically download these images for the users who want to use them?

Everyone can moderate the database (There are some things to do before you can start moderating, not sure what those rules where) which launchbox is linked to, see: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/

17 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Everyone can moderate the database (There are some things to do before you can start moderating, not sure what those rules where) which launchbox is linked to, see: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/

Cool, so we can kind of just edit it like a wiki or something, once we've been through whatever verification process there is? That's awesome. Seeing as I don't really have the tools to make much artwork I'll gladly contribute to the checklisting/gathering/uploading side of things if people would like?

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2018 at 9:00 PM, Mr. RetroLust said:

Here is my full set of Smart Object Arcade Cabinet .psd , from every conceivable angle (16 in total), sorry about .zip being so big but with quality comes size ;) , these should help the community for years to come.

I did not make these, i was given them a few years back by a friend .. just sharing :)

https://mega.nz/#!F8MkBKoZ!gl1wjyH_dPQJmi_qj7sosim0pKuXIkE-fbMk02PyCt8

enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, harryoke said:

Here is my full set of Smart Object Arcade Cabinet .psd , from every conceivable angle (16 in total), sorry about .zip being so big but with quality comes size ;) , these should help the community for years to come.

I did not make these, i was given them a few years back by a friend .. just sharing :)

https://mega.nz/#!F8MkBKoZ!gl1wjyH_dPQJmi_qj7sosim0pKuXIkE-fbMk02PyCt8

enjoy.

Amazing bro, thank you so much man! ?

• Like 1

I think I'll start the project next week or the week after with a new dedicated post with rules, steps and such, if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, tips, possible photoshop volunteers (maybe elsewhere in the community like emumovies or hyperspin?) let us know. Don't feel obligated to start right at that moment though, just take your time and work on it whenever you have a moment, it should be fun to do. I checked out some online background removal tools which gave pretty good results and worked quite well, although they where pay only and Lust don't pay. If you find any free software or photoshop tutorials that would make the process easier that would be welcome as well, so people that don't have a lot of experience could join in as well.

I've got a PS action that removes background , I will see if I can hunt it down on one of my HDD. 

Layed up in bed atm , put my back out ...lmfao 

iirc it's a simple create layer above background named brush and brush area that you want to keep and click play.

• Thanks 1

Just now, harryoke said:

I've got a PS action that removes background , I will see if I can hunt it down on one of my HDD. 

Layed up in bed atm , put my back out ...lmfao 

iirc it's a simple create layer above background named brush and brush area that you want to keep and click play.

Thanks bro! Hope you get well soon.

5 hours ago, harryoke said:

Easy Background Remover.zip

dont know how effective it is.

Thanks bro :) I don't use photoshop myself very often (been using Photoimpact X3 for too long) so I need some help with these more advanced things if you dont mind, as it is now I can't just press play it says:
"Hide is not available" so I unlock the background layer, then it says "cant create layer from background" so I duplicate the layer and call it Background, then it says "the object layer brush is currently not available", that's where I get stuck. I do use an older version if it makes a difference: CC 2015.

35 minutes ago, harryoke said:

Did  you create new layer above background named "brush" ?

then using brush tool cover object .

make sure you are in rgb mode.

Thanks for the explanation, I changed the name to brush and it worked, I get 3 layers although I am not sure what exactly is the plan lol I guess I am to much used to selection and eraser tools. I don't know if you should take the time to explain further as one question might lead to another and take up too much of your time.

I'm preparing the package from progrettosnaps so we can put it on a drive so we all have the same structure to work with including the updates etc, it's now batch converting all images to rgb so we dont have to deal with that as well, i'm also putting them in alphabetical folders for ease of structure. There is one problem though, all these have Mame rom names, now this in itself is great for compatibility reasons although it does make it harder to find higher res cabs on google images for instance when not having the full name present. @Kondorito do you have any thought/ideas on this matter? Maybe we should batch remove backgrounds from these and after this project anyone can replace them in the database with higher res versions on his own? Or is there a tool that automatically renames the .png files to it's right name? < Although wouldnt that endanger compatibility seeing frontends might use different names? Another idea (if it can be done automatically) a name structure like "romname - full_name.png"?  Any thoughts are very welcome.

I would leave them as they are. MAME nomenclature for the roms is the best approach compatibility-wise. If we rename over 3k files to what we think are the actual game names (and we will do it poorly I am sure of it, as apostrophes, dashes, slashes, spaces, commas are a very complicated matter for a unified naming convention), nobody will be able to use the set, and the users will end up having to rename them all over again. Leaving the official romnames you are ensuring that not only all front ends will be able to use them, but also MAME itself as well as any other 3rd party apps.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

I would leave them as they are. MAME nomenclature for the roms is the best approach compatibility-wise. If we rename over 3k files to what we think are the actual game names (and we will do it poorly I am sure of it, as apostrophes, dashes, slashes, spaces, commas are a very complicated matter for a unified naming convention), nobody will be able to use the set, and the users will end up having to rename them all over again. Leaving the official romnames you are ensuring that not only all front ends will be able to use them, but also MAME itself as well as any other 3rd party apps.

Thanks for explaining this bro! Okay then we'll keep it easy and I think a lot faster proces of working. We'll work on the basic images and leave the higher res up to the creators. Anyone experienced of working with google drive? We'll need a drive or other place to store and work from.

Figured out how google drive works, can I have your email address in pm so I can add you to the drive soon? That is if you want to seriously take part in the project still of course, there are very small folders and bigger ones for you to choose from. It's pretty addictive work once you get started and see the results in BigBox, if we all chip in this could be done within a month, maybe two. Quite historic as well as nobody seems to have done this before, since the start of Mame, we could make a lot of people happy with this I think (I'll quit trying to convince you now xD)  @jvlk @Mr.Laor @Kondorito @goofers @harryoke @RetroKenesis

I'm not sure if you want to participate as well? @Dan @damageinc86 @Orionsangel

Personally I'm going to pause my other projects until this is done. More info soon, gonna make it as clear and simple as possible for us to work with including video of samples etc.

• 1 month later...